Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 37,189 times

Advertisements

focusing on neighborhood pros and cons....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I sent you a PM with some parent/staff contacts - also try The Greater White Rock Early Childhood PTA (Stonewall and Robert E. Lee Elementaries)gwra : Greater White Rock Area ECPTA

Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 PM

Here are the 28 reviews on greatschools.net:
Category Average Rating
Overall quality
Principal leadership
Teacher quality
Extracurricular activities
Parent involvement
Safety and discipline

33 rankings 4 out of 5 stars

(February 2007)
"Overall, I think Stonewall is a good school. As a teacher (from another district) and a parent, I do not think there is enough supervision during recess or dismissal. I have witnessed several occasions that a child was 'missing' after school only to find out that the child was waiting on the stairs outside. The children are dismissed from their rooms, and I have rarely seen my child's teacher at dismissal. She's usually in her room working. Academically, I think the school is fine. They have great programs that other public schools do not have and I have seen my child really learn a lot. And the best part is that my child is enthusiastic about it! Stonewall is a good school, I just wish there was more supervision during recess and dismissal."

(November 2006)
"Kindergarten program is phenomenal. Teachers welcome parent participation and are very communicative as such. This makes for a warm, nurturing learning experience. My son is in the third grade, and since first grade, there is a break down in communication with the teachers. "

(September 2006)
"Coming from 2-1/2yrs of private school, I was nervous and excited about Stonewall(Nat'l Blue Ribbon School)all at once. Thus far, I've been incredibly impressed. Surprisingly, Asst Principal works the morning crosswalk greeting students by name as he drinks his coffee and waves to parents(how refreshing!) Ms. Henderson (DISD Principal of the Year)stands on the blacktop each morning monitoring children playing prior to the morning bell. I cannot think of a time at 'private' school where the administrators were so visible and involved in the student's activities-not just their paperwork! The incredibly active and involved PTA, Dad's Club and After-School program are all vital parts of the school. When checking out Stonewall I realized that all the offerings they have are typical of a private school - not usually found in public setting. What a gem! I highly recommend attending Stonewall Jackson!"
- Christie McGee

(September 2006)
"Stonewall Jackson is truly one the finest elementary schools in Dallas, public or private. The faculty is top notch,winning district wide awards. The staff is caring and nurturing. The academic program is excellent. They continually rank at the top of the state. The offer a wide range of extracurricular activities not usually seen on the elementary level. All students participate in an outstanding gardening program. Each student is able to sow, tend to, and harvest their own plant. The PTA is very active and also oversees a quality afterschool program that is available to all Stonewall students from 3-6 daily. No school is perfect and no school is the best fit for every child but Stonewall certainly has an outstanding program well worth considering."

(June 2006)
"Awesome programs for all grades.Our son flourished in the dyslexia program this year. He came so far from where he began at the beginning of the year."

(May 2006)
"Over all i was pleased with the school & the kindergarten teachers. I feel that they expect these 5/6 year olds to remember meds, instructions & other things that are pressed to be done alone. I don't agree with letting the children roam the school w/o the supervision of an older student/adult. Then they find out that the child went here or there & they want to get upset that the child didn't go straight to the cafeteria! academically i think the teachers have done a wonderful job. Just hope no one gets hurt out in the playground because most of the time, i was told by my child of the incident. But be sure you will know when they have misbehaved. As you can tell there's many great things about this school and some that i would change with the snap of a finger. You make the call!"
- S. Thomas

(May 2006)
"Stonewall has by far the best parent support I have seen in any school. The level of parental support in all grades is just amazing. My son has thrived more than ever and just loves his Kindergarten class. He can not wait till first grade and my daughter can not wait till she gets to go to Kindergarten and hopefully have the same teacher as my son. In just my son's Kindergarten year alone he learned not only better english skills but Sign Language and Spanish. Our whole family finds that totally impressive. Keep up the great work Stonewall!"
- Jamie Dimmitt

(April 2006)
"Great school! Heavy parent involvement is key. Super programs. One of the few reputable elementaries is DISD"

(April 2006)
"I have had wonderful experiences at Stonewall Jackson. the teachers are awesome and the PTA participation is the best in Dallas. My daughter has learned sign language, she has learned about the environment through the outdoor education program and she has excelled academically. Ms. Patterson is a wonderful Kindergarten teacher."
- Karen Kupcunas

No rating given (March 2006)
"I went to stonewall when i was a kid and I wish more schools were like it. i think the diversity is fantastic! I think it is wonderful that sign lanuage is taught in every grade, and more schools should do it."

(February 2006)
"This school is great! Very diverse with incredible parent participation. It has a garden, a kindergarden wing, and expects alot from the parents. Its worth it."

(January 2006)
"Stonewall Jackson is made up of strong and involved parents. THis school is a 'diamond' in the DallasISD school district. From the sign choir, garden club, to the show choir. There is much ado about Stonewall, rightfully so."

(January 2006)
"My son attended Stonewall Jackson from 2nd grade to 6th grade. The quality of the education he received there put him at a great advantage for middle school. The touch academic standards at Stonewall pushed my son to excell and all his teachers provided tons of support to help him achieve his educational goals. He now attends Pre-AP classes in middle school and has no problems with the courses because of the superior education he received early on. I would highly recommend this school to anyone."

(November 2005)
"My daughter has flourished at Stonewall Jackson under the superior leadership and dedicated staff."

(August 2005)
"Stonewall Jackson is a great elementary school. For many years they earned the title of a bluew ribbon school. This school has the reputation of being one of the best elementary schools in the DISD. MY child loved this school because they really want their students to learn. They also take pride of the blue ribbon status of the school and they make an extra effort to keep. Excellent music and TAG program."

(August 2005)
"Stonewall Jackson is an extremely diverse school. The availability of extra curricular activities is large, and includes sign language and music. The teachers are excellent and care about each individual student. My son was challenged academically and his grades soared."

(August 2005)
"I love the programs available here. The teachers are wonderful. I love the art, music, gardening, and sign language classes. The best school in DISD!"

(August 2005)
"I believe that for a public school, this is one of the most postive schools in Dallas. The emphasis on learning and discipline are exemplory."

(July 2005)
"I have already posted a review of Stonewall Jackson, and continue to feel quite positive about it. I do, however, have some concerns about the TAG 'program,' and question its value given only short periods of time, ONCE per week. I have not been able to discern if my child is getting anything from it at all."
- Lisa Bertelsen

(May 2005)
"An absolutely GREAT school. The foundation that our child received at Stonewall has served him very well, indeed. At Stonewall, they spend their time TEACHING. Stonewall's teachers and staff encourage and foster creativity and excellence in all areas."

(April 2005)
"We are very happy with Stonewall Jackson, all of the staff are great. The after school care is great and affordable"

(March 2005)
"Great school, wonderful test scores, a breath of fresh air in DISD."

(December 2004)
"I have two children at Stonewall and we absolutely love it! The teachers are wonderful and seem to genuinely care for the children. And the After School Program...tremendous! The school would not be as great as it is without it. The only problem I have is the principal; she seems to be insignificant. In my opinion, the school functions under the leadership of the PTA, which is fine by me."

(December 2004)
"My children attend this school and I have been very pleased with the teachers and the curriculum. They have fabulous programs to enhance the children's education: sign language, garden, music, art, etc. The school also selects one country every year and the entire school learns about this country including its geography, people, cultural customs, and art. This school is the gem of DISD."

(March 2004)
"My child had been a student at Stonewall Jackson for nearly two years. The big blue ribbon is commendable, but the actual day to day experience left a lot to be desired. There are some wonderful aspects to this school, for single parents and others who work outside the home. The afterschool program is a God send! But that's it! The Deaf Education program and kindergarten and teachers who deal mostly with exceptional children, including (TAG) are worthy of their hire! They stand out! However, I found the experience for my daughter and (in observation) other children, a bit too regimented and controlling. Barring the need to maintain order, it left my heart sad to witness. I just didn't like the corporate approach with little people. Our kids are numbers there and the teachers seem unwilling to recognize gifts and talent and spirits and -- each of them as individuals. Too much fussing and reprimanding at the wrong children. And high tests scores seem to mean more there than anything else. Stress-ville in my view! New unaware new teachers, and overly presumptuous experienced teachers make lots of angry little children. Enough is enough! We're transferring! The shenanigans of the teachers and the kids just not worth putting up any longer! Peace is our goal. "

(December 2003)
"I went to Stonewall Jackson for six years and moved to Abilene after my sixth grade year. Looking back, I am so grateful for having gone to such an outstanding school. The teachers were great, and I thoroughly enjoyed my early childhood because of that school. It's true that 'the finest school in Texas has Jackson for its name!' "
- Amanda Goebel

(August 2003)
"Take two children all the way from England and expect them to adjust to a new school in the US mid-way through the year without problems. Despite many things being different here, know that the kids will have nothing but praise for their school from day one and that you will be delighted with the excellency of the teaching and the friendliness and efficiency of all the staff. Do these sound like unreasonable expectations? Yes. But it's the truth of our experience. We could not ask for a better school. Stonewall Jackson really Is the Best. "

(April 2003)
"You can search all over America and you will not find a school like Stonewall Jackson. It is the best in Dallas. I am so blessed to have my kids going to school here. Could not ask for more. I am truly truly happy. "

Page 1 of 1

Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
Lakewooder, you have kids in the Lakewood schools or have children that have been through in recent years? It would be great to hear some personal experience views as well.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:31 PM

I don't have kids but many of my classmates and people with whom I grew up now have kids in school. It's a little bizzare seeing them doing the same traditions and even having the same teachers!

I think I can safely post this address: ptapresident@woodrowwildcats.org if you have questions Emily can direct you to someone at each school in the cluster. I work on alumni matters and I am meeting her for lunch on Monday if you have any specific questions.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:45 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,494 times
It's within the terms of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: