U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 6,905 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are purchasing a home between dallas and fort worth (he works on west 7th street in fort worth, i work in north dallas- 75 and walnut hill). we are trying to find a home fairly equidistant for both of us. is the commute from southlake to north dallas do-able (i.e. less than 45 min)? i drove it on the weekend without traffic and it took 30 min, but when i drove it on a friday afternoon it took over an hour. is this what i can expect on a daily basis if we move there? we live in fort worth now and the whole point of moving to southlake is so i would be closer to work, but it almost seems like fort worth is a quicker drive.... i would like to hear especially from people who live in southlake and work in dallas. thanks! also, my work hours can be adjusted to 7am-4pm, how much will that help?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:35 AM

5,010 posts, read 13,813,130 times
Southlake to 75 and Walnut Hill will be at least an hour in traffic, if not more.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:56 AM

10,499 posts, read 22,329,114 times
It's going to be really hard to find something equal distance between those two locations. You're both likely to have to have horrible commutes.

You might look at Coppell since it would be a little closer to 75. But that will make the drive to Fort Worth further, especially with the construction that is going on by the airport.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 AM

6,585 posts, read 23,631,312 times
I used to work near SMU with someone who lived in Southlake. In the morning he either got in the office before 7am or waiting until 10 to come in and in the afternoons he either left by 4pm or waiting until 6:30pm to head home. Otherwise it was 60-120 minute commute. He said there was something about the roads - a funnel or something - that made the commute to Southlake extra bad.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 AM

32,452 posts, read 50,925,355 times
yes--the construction around Coppell would make getting into FTW more difficult--it is not that easy a commute now

there is not "one location fits all" answer--
one of you is going to be having a bad commute...and there are some parts of Southlake that makes getting into downtown FTW not that easy a drive anyway...
Too bad he is not working more in Sundance--would suggest you buy in Dallas and he could commute via the TRE into Sundance...

I would say maybe consider something in Arlington off I20 or in Mansfield
Mansfield to Sundance is about a 25 min drive and going across the bridge would not all that much
but if you are looking in Southlake you probably want better schools or the Southlake ambiance...and Mansfield does not have that...

Old 08-15-2010, 12:54 PM

1,064 posts, read 3,368,718 times
Either way, one of you is going to have a horrible commute. As the previous posts have mentioned, there is construction on 114/121/635 by the airport that is a PAIN. Long story short, my husband and I just moved to be closer to his job in the FW area, we use to live in Coppell..so he was driving in that construction mess. It took him over an hour and a half to get to work and after 4 months of commuting, we had to move...to preserve his sanity. I know it is easier said than done, but living close to where you work makes life so much easier...if it is possible. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,905 times
My hope is that we will outlast the construction and the commute will improve over the next couple years. there is also a way to get around all the construction by exiting bass pro and taking 26/114 business all the way to southlake. surely there are other people who commute to dallas from southlake, right? it makes me feel better knowing i'm not the only one!

we considered coppell, but that would make my husband's commute worse. since i'm the one who took the job in dallas, i feel like the burden of the slightly longer commute should fall on me

if i can leave the house by 6 am and leave work by 3:30-4, shouldn't it be a lot better? southlake is marketed as "in the middle of dallas and fort worth." i'm feeling a bit deceived!

Old 08-15-2010, 02:35 PM

885 posts, read 1,365,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlerock View Post
My husband and I are purchasing a home between dallas and fort worth (he works on west 7th street in fort worth, i work in north dallas- 75 and walnut hill). we are trying to find a home fairly equidistant for both of us. is the commute from southlake to north dallas do-able (i.e. less than 45 min)? i drove it on the weekend without traffic and it took 30 min, but when i drove it on a friday afternoon it took over an hour. is this what i can expect on a daily basis if we move there? we live in fort worth now and the whole point of moving to southlake is so i would be closer to work, but it almost seems like fort worth is a quicker drive.... i would like to hear especially from people who live in southlake and work in dallas. thanks! also, my work hours can be adjusted to 7am-4pm, how much will that help?
7 am and 4 pm will not help. But 10 am and 7 pm will.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 PM

12,428 posts, read 24,033,439 times
I think it might be easier to live in Dallas and commute to FW. If you can afford Southlake, look in the Park Cities or Preston Hollow areas of Dallas. Your commute would be about 10 minutes and his would be about 45. It's a lot faster commuting from Dallas to FW since more people are going the other direction.

One of you is going to have a killer commute. In Southlake, both of you will have at least 30 min, yours closer to 60 min.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 PM

36,662 posts, read 40,703,933 times
You might look in Las Colinas depending on your lifestyle. It actually is a better location then anything mentioned so far.

La Villita, Riverside Village or The lakes of LC are all very nice new developments and would be your easiest commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or