Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post

It is interesting how often when someone states that they don't 'keep up with the Joneses' (especially if it's repeatedly and/or with unusual intensity) they end up coming across as keeping very close track of the lifestyles other people. They may not try to one-up their immediate neighbors, but they sure do pay a lot of attention to how other folks appear to live.

Don't worry skids929 - I think you should still go with your initial impressions of this area you had from some of the earlier threads and your last visit. No matter where you end up, I don't believe the negativity you're getting on this forum is representative of the majority of folks in any neighborhood in the DFW area. It's either an issue on an individual level, or most likely it's just the internet anonymity bringing out the worst in some people. I honestly believe that face to face interactions would be pleasant with the vast majority of the people on this forum - I guess that's just the idealistic romantic in me talking. Always keep in mind that it's still the best city/suburb/exurb metroplex, in the best state, in the best country, on the planet!
Pure poetry...Well said my friend. On and upward from here. DFW here we come!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM

885 posts, read 1,552,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Pure poetry...Well said my friend. On and upward from here. DFW here we come!!
Are you still browsing the internet for single guys to have coffee or tea with?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:38 PM

216 posts, read 444,419 times
Keeping up with the Joneses is definitely part of the Dallas and Collin County cultures.

You should be okay in Flower Mound!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:

It is interesting how often when someone states that they don't 'keep up with the Joneses' (especially if it's repeatedly and/or with unusual intensity) they end up coming across as keeping very close track of the lifestyles other people. They may not try to one-up their immediate neighbors, but they sure do pay a lot of attention to how other folks appear to live.
Speaking for myself, that is incorrect. I take no notice of how people in Collin County live because I rarely go there. I don't care. I don't care how people in Lakewood, the Park Cities, south Dallas, etc. live. All I really care about is how I myself live and to a much lesser extent, my neighbors; I want them to keep their properties up and their yards tidy. That is it.

The OP asked and we answered. It isn't our fault that he/she does not like our answers or opinions. I believe that all of the opinions here were based on experience, facts, sound advice, and were well-intentioned.

Quote:
Don't worry skids929 - I think you should still go with your initial impressions of this area you had from some of the earlier threads and your last visit. No matter where you end up, I don't believe the negativity you're getting on this forum is representative of the majority of folks in any neighborhood in the DFW area. It's either an issue on an individual level, or most likely it's just the internet anonymity bringing out the worst in some people. I honestly believe that face to face interactions would be pleasant with the vast majority of the people on this forum - I guess that's just the idealistic romantic in me talking. Always keep in mind that it's still the best city/suburb/exurb metroplex, in the best state, in the best country, on the planet!
No, I think a lot of the opinions about commute, real estate values, etc. are spot-on and the OP would hear quite a lot of the same in DFW itself. YMMV.

Also, a lot of these responses do not apply solely to the OP. They would apply to anyone wishing to purchase real estate in a town (a far-away suburb) 25-30 miles from the town (itself a suburb) where they plan to work particularly in a metro area that is notorious for traffic congestion...in an economy where it can be very difficult to sell a home that shows no signs of improving anytime soon...in a geopolitical climate where you can expect the price of oil to only go up, quite possibly by 50% in the next few years.

In addition, I do not think it is at all unreasonable for someone to take umbrage when someone who is, at best, unfamiliar with the DFW metro area, criticizes the town where they have chosen to make their home. It's normal to be offended by that and I have seen that sort of offense play out in many threads.

With that, I'm out of this thread. OP, have a nice life in Flower Mound. Sincerely. I hope you like it.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Speaking for myself, that is incorrect. I take no notice of how people in Collin County live because I rarely go there. I don't care. I don't care how people in Lakewood, the Park Cities, south Dallas, etc. live. All I really care about is how I myself live and to a much lesser extent, my neighbors; I want them to keep their properties up and their yards tidy. That is it.

The OP asked and we answered. It isn't our fault that he/she does not like our answers or opinions. I believe that all of the opinions here were based on experience, facts, sound advice, and were well-intentioned.

You go from speaking for yourself, to gathering allies by stating it isn't "our" fault. My point is sound, there is a contingent of posters on here, always the same ones, who like to pile on and try to show how knowledgeable they are. Problem is, alot of the time it doesn't come across as knowledgeable, it comes across as arrogant, opinionated and in the end unhelpful-or in the case of Winter2010 childish.

Your points are well taken, and true for the most part about commutes etc. I don't agree with what some have said about no one wanting the newer used homes in these suburbs, in fact I know that isn't true. For the simple fact thousands are buying and selling homes up there daily, and there is strong data that shows many of the towns in Tarrant County, or lets just say NW Dallas burbs have fared VERY well in terms of home value depreciation by comparison to lets say some areas of Collin County. And from what I saw there are VERY strong investments in infrastructure out there, lots of major retailers willing to commit to these areas, and major companies literally willing to relocate from say Manhattan to places within a very close distance to all of these suburbs.

Lastly, like I said in the beginning of this thread, we're not sold on FM. We just REALLY like it. Much more to be seen in the DFW area overall. Also, I would target working in Irving if I lived in FM, commute is short. If I had to take a job in the city itself, so be it, people seem to be doing it.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
The petty bickering in this thread is exactly why I left this forum for a while. Grow up folks. People will have their opinions. People will express those opinions. If you don't like it, that's fine. But to bicker about having opinions for page upon page? Someone shoot me.

Brian

Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,148,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
The petty bickering in this thread is exactly why I left this forum for a while. Grow up folks. People will have their opinions. People will express those opinions. If you don't like it, that's fine. But to bicker about having opinions for page upon page? Someone shoot me.

Brian
Yeah I try to stay away from this Dallas thread myself. To the OP if you need some info about McKinney please DM me
I have lived in Dallas, North Dallas, Farmers Branch and Carrollton before. I can give you the ins and outs of commutes, houses, neighborhoods in McKinney, etc.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
Keeping up with the Joneses is definitely part of the Dallas and Collin County cultures.

You should be okay in Flower Mound!
*snore* Lived here over twenty years (West Plano, no less) and this is a very tired stereotype.

Please continue to judge all people by the worst offenders of their group. That's both enlightened and educated!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM

couldn't agree more with the last three post above me here..Thanks folks, much appreciated. I will DM you later today.

Last edited by skids929; 08-19-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 10:50 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Always keep in mind that it's still the best city/suburb/exurb metroplex, in the best state, in the best country, on the planet!

The founder and 'mayor' of Lakewood, E.C. "Doc" Harrell, added a preamble to that one -- "the best neighborhood in the best city.."! This was in a booklet he sent out to the troops in WWII who were WW grads.

I knew you all would like that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas