Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Now, these are nothing like West Mount Houston.
What is West Mount Houston? Is it anything like the steep and scary hills I've heard about around Huntsville.

Topic:

I like Houston and could live there, I prefer Dallas-DFW though. DFW is more economically diverse with true metropolitan flar. I also like that we have zoning here, which gives the area a more polished and sophisticated appearance.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 AM

912 posts, read 1,887,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Houston is very spread out. The density in DFW vs. Houston (in their urban areas) is almost identical.

As for fashion, I would suggest you read this:

Fashion capital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I cant access the actual link from my work computer, but you can click on it in the wiki article. It names Dallas as #5 in North America and #31 in the world for fashion. This study was not done by Dallasites or Texans or anyone with bias.

Dallasites are constantly comparing themselves to Houston? In actually life, I have never heard it once. If anything, they try and mention how they are different.
Dallas Market Center
Dallas Market Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess the better designation for the Dallas - Fort Worth area is "A major market center" with "fashion" one of its major aspects considering how the Dallas Market Center is the largest market center in the world gathered in one place. Say what you will, but the Dallas Market Center does have the Dallas Apparel & Accessories Market located with FashionCenterDallas which is in turn located within the Dallas World Trade Center.
Just to the north of this Trade Center along Preston St. is a upscale shopping center called Highland Park Shopping Village and to the north of there are the three major commericial shopping districts of Preston Center, Northpark and, further north, the Galleria Dallas.
All told, one must consider Dallas - Fort Worth to be a major fashion center.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
What is West Mount Houston? Is it anything like the steep and scary hills I've heard about around Huntsville.

Topic:

I like Houston and could live there, I prefer Dallas-DFW though. DFW is more economically diverse with true metropolitan flar. I also like that we have zoning here, which gives the area a more polished and sophisticated appearance.
I drove up the snow capped peak of West Mount Houston only once. Looking down through the clouds, I could just barely make out downtown Houston and the port of Houston. Most people don't realize that the world's tallest mountain called West Mount Houston exists just east of the Metropolitan area. While most mountains are a result of volcanoes and as a result of a flat plate that has been pushed up and knocked sideways, Houston's tall mountain is a result of subsidence.
All this can be verified at the following webcite:
//www.TheWorldsTallestMountainInHouston.com

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 08-19-2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Houston is mainly flat with the trees of East Texas ending at its northern border as Dallas - Fort Worth is hilly with with lots of trees by the rivers and creeks, grasslands to the north, and more arid plants in the higher elevations. Houston gets more rainfall. Dallas - Fort Worth is hotter and colder in the summer and winter, respectively. Houston is more humid during this time making it uncomfortable both in the dead of summer and of winter.
Do you even have a clue what you're talking about? You can find large groves of pine trees all the way down to the Bay Area. Not to mention the uncountable amount of palm trees all over the metro area from Conroe on south to Galveston Island. Houston also has one of the largest urban parks in the nation. You'd think you're in the middle of the Sherwood Forest when you're right smack dab in the middle of America's 4th largest city.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:43 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
The wife and I visited both, we liked it better here.

Funny thing is that Metro Houston and DFW attract around the same number of Californians. I do not find Houston like LA. Culturally, they are nothing a like. The only similarities are the sprawl and the diversity. The beaches around Houston suck, so a Californian would hardly be pressed to choose Houston for that reason.

A lot of the suburbs you mentioned (like Clear Lake) we didnt like at all. The humidity down there is overwhelming and we didnt like the refineries everywhere.
That's funny. California has some of the dirtiest beaches in the nation according to a recent water quality report. No Texas beaches made the list.

Houston & LA have more similarities than you mentioned or want to acknowledge. People never see the flat side of LA & endless strip malls along its boulevards they only see the mountainous backdrop with the Hollywood sign perched atop. Both have similar sized downtown skylines & architecture is almost identical. Both have a modern network of freeways though Houston's are quite a bit wider.

If Houston was twice as dense, had larger suburbs like Dallas & an unidentifiable city core it would be another LA.

I've said it before & I'll say it again, Houston is a combination of Southern California & Southern Louisiana rolled into one package.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-19-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That's funny. California has some of the dirtiest beaches in the nation according to a recent water quality report. No Texas beaches made the list.

Houston & LA have more similarities than you mentioned or want to acknowledge. People never see the flat side of LA & endless strip malls along its boulevards they only see the mountainous backdrop with the Hollywood sign perched atop. Both have similar sized downtown skylines & architecture is almost identical. Both have a modern network of freeways though Houston's are quite a bit wider.

If Houston was twice as dense, had larger suburbs like Dallas & an unidentifiable city core it would be another LA.

I've said it before & I'll say it again, Houston is a combination of Southern California & Southern Louisiana rolled into one package.
Im talking about culture, and no Houston and LA are not similar in that regard. Im not talking about thing like huge freeways or tall buildings. That stuff never mattered much to me. LA and SoCal are a haven for active people. The closest thing to that in Texas is Austin and the hill country.

Again, what LA and Houston have in common that are relevant to every day life sprawl and diversity. Yes, they both have Palm trees, lots of freeways, and are close to beaches (but I still hold firm that the beaches around Houston suck), but beyond that the culture of LA and Houston are not alike.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times
Quote:
I drove up the snow capped peak of West Mount Houston only once. Looking down through the clouds, I could just barely make out downtown Houston and the port of Houston. Most people don't realize that the world's tallest mountain called West Mount Houston exists just east of the Metropolitan area. While most mountains are a result of volcanoes and as a result of a flat plate that has been pushed up and knocked sideways, Houston's tall mountain is a result of subsidence.
All this can be verified at the following webcite:
//www.TheWorldsTallestMountainInHouston.com
You are full of it.
West Mount Houston is a road north of downtown and not in the greatest area. No mountains in Houston.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Do you even have a clue what you're talking about? You can find large groves of pine trees all the way down to the Bay Area. Not to mention the uncountable amount of palm trees all over the metro area from Conroe on south to Galveston Island. Houston also has one of the largest urban parks in the nation. You'd think you're in the middle of the Sherwood Forest when you're right smack dab in the middle of America's 4th largest city.
But most of that is not indegenous virgin forest but exists because it was planted by the hand of man. I have been by the University of Houston Branch in Clear Lake and I do think it had pine trees in that area. But down the road was something call Armand Bayou, I believe. Isn't it swampy with more indegenous kinds of trees? You know, I would think the pine trees growing that far south close to the ocean are unstable anomalies that will be easily destroyed in a flood of salt water one day. But they could grow back, indeed, as pine trees grow rather quickly. Perhaps it is the clay in the area that supports them? East Texas has a lot of deep red clay that trees seem to love because it is a sign that it is high in iron. Deep brown clay is apparent close to the three cities of Ore city, Pittsburg, and Lone Star, Texas with the latter city having a steel mill located in its vicinity. There are lots of trees located in this area as well. If you ever get a chance, then try to check out the color of the clay in and around Bay City.
You know, a groomed tree is a sight more beautiful than one that isn't. Ironically, all those trees in Houston's Sherwood Forest have been groomed by left winged, liberal Democrats. If they ever witnessed the true stickers and brush that made up most of Houston's indegenous plant growth, then they would surely convert over to right winged, conservative Republicans.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
You are full of it.
West Mount Houston is a road north of downtown and not in the greatest area. No mountains in Houston.
You know, I did smoke a lot of grass back in the seventies though, like the former president, I never inhaled it. I also drank a lot of beer back then when I wasn't smoking grass, but I never swallowed spitting it out instead. You know, that could explain why I was driving up the peak of West Mount Houston.
You claim it is just a street, but riddle me this. Why would there exist a street in Houston named West Mount Houston? Was this just a joke to fool us dopeheads?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Im talking about culture, and no Houston and LA are not similar in that regard. Im not talking about thing like huge freeways or tall buildings. That stuff never mattered much to me. LA and SoCal are a haven for active people. The closest thing to that in Texas is Austin and the hill country.

Again, what LA and Houston have in common that are relevant to every day life sprawl and diversity. Yes, they both have Palm trees, lots of freeways, and are close to beaches (but I still hold firm that the beaches around Houston suck), but beyond that the culture of LA and Houston are not alike.
You know, we live in a material world of freeways and tall buildings. Indeed, if one took two human beings and baked each in an oven or fried them up in a pan, their remains would end up sharing a common mineral content. If we are going to drastically reduce the vanity of the soul, then we shouldn't even be using the internet.
I for one think the size of tall buildings and numbers of freeways is an important aspect of Texas culture. Things are changing rapidly however as Houstonians seem to get really envious of the numbers of TODs and miles of lightrail in Dallas. It is no longer how tall an office building is, but how wide the mix use project will become! Nahhh Nahhh Na Nahhh Nahhh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas