U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,313 times

Advertisements

My car runs fine, but egr valve out and won't pass inspection because of the computer check necessary for engine light has emissions fail. the car will pass all other checks ie brakes, lights etc the true functional aspects of the car. anyone know where i could pass? out of the city maybe? I live in carrollton

Don't we pay enough in gas and maintainance, why do we have to pad the pocket of the state and local govmnts. SICK OF THE STICKERS

chris
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,058,787 times
I don't think you can take it out of your area for inspection just because it won't pass the emissions test. If the EGR valve is truly out, you'll probably have to just go ahead and replace it. Take it to Auto Zone to be sure, and ask them to check out your check engine light. They may be able to help you by recommending an additive. There's something called "Guaranteed To Pass", an additive that may do the trick.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 AM

8,719 posts, read 13,036,782 times
Get it fixed.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 PM

14,862 posts, read 40,310,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Get it fixed.
I know, right.

I have an 02 Suburban Z71 and a 1998 Chevy Z71 pickup and neither has EVER had ANY issue when it comes to passing inspection for Dallas County.

There is a reason why certain counties have these tests. Because cars on the road that are not taken care of and pollute the air. Just one of the reasons......

Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM

5,229 posts, read 12,590,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I know, right.

I have an 02 Suburban Z71 and a 1998 Chevy Z71 pickup and neither has EVER had ANY issue when it comes to passing inspection for Dallas County.

There is a reason why certain counties have these tests. Because cars on the road that are not taken care of and pollute the air. Just one of the reasons......

Your car and fail inspection for something very simple. I had one fail inspection because a vacum line came loose. Shop wanted $106 just to tell me what was causing the problem. Only reason I able to fix it myself is the mechanic was pulling the air cleaner and saw the loose line because I had step back from truck. You can't take it to another county because they want inspect it for you. You have know choice but to get it fixed if you want it inspected.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Your car and fail inspection for something very simple. I had one fail inspection because a vacum line came loose. Shop wanted $106 just to tell me what was causing the problem. Only reason I able to fix it myself is the mechanic was pulling the air cleaner and saw the loose line because I had step back from truck. You can't take it to another county because they want inspect it for you. You have know choice but to get it fixed if you want it inspected.
I think you need another shop. I go to one where I brought it in a car and the engine was missfiring. He immediately popped to hood, looked around, didn't say anything, and reattached a spark plug wire - no charge. I tried to give him a case of Schlitz - I think someone gave to me, but he wouldn't even accept that. Another time I brought in vehicle and he refused to work on it becasue of how much it would cost just to repair what was obvious from just looking under the hood, (no telling what else he would find when he actually got into it. He said it was just time to get a new car.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM

5,229 posts, read 12,590,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I think you need another shop. I go to one where I brought it in a car and the engine was missfiring. He immediately popped to hood, looked around, didn't say anything, and reattached a spark plug wire - no charge. I tried to give him a case of Schlitz - I think someone gave to me, but he wouldn't even accept that. Another time I brought in vehicle and he refused to work on it becasue of how much it would cost just to repair what was obvious from just looking under the hood, (no telling what else he would find when he actually got into it. He said it was just time to get a new car.

The mechanic did not charge me because I saw the problem before he got to work on it. To be honest if I didn't see the loose line and if he would have just plugged in the line i'm sure if he would have charged me or not. He was not my normal mechanic. My point is many times the diagnois is more costly than the repair. The check engine light on my wifes Chevy Equinox came on and no one could tell me what the problem was. Took it to the Chevy dealership and they said there was not a problem and they simply needed to reset the computer. Was charged 1hr minimum at $118. Dealership certainly make money off the emisison test ran for inspections.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 40,310,732 times
Quote:
The check engine light on my wifes Chevy Equinox came on and no one could tell me what the problem was. Took it to the Chevy dealership and they said there was not a problem and they simply needed to reset the computer. Was charged 1hr minimum at $118. Dealership certainly make money off the emisison test ran for inspections.
Was it not under warranty? If it was still under warranty then that should have been covered. I had mine reset several times and never got charged for it. I had bought a locking gas cap and those do not seal as well as the ones that come on the vehicle. Every now and then the "check engine" light would come on and that was what it was. They never charged me for it. I ended up ditching the thing as it was a pain.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
The mechanic did not charge me because I saw the problem before he got to work on it. To be honest if I didn't see the loose line and if he would have just plugged in the line i'm sure if he would have charged me or not.
Yes, exactly my point.

Quote:
He was not my normal mechanic. My point is many times the diagnois is more costly than the repair. The check engine light on my wifes Chevy Equinox came on and no one could tell me what the problem was. Took it to the Chevy dealership and they said there was not a problem and they simply needed to reset the computer. Was charged 1hr minimum at $118. Dealership certainly make money off the emisison test ran for inspections.
Sounds like my last hospital visit, All these test and then "OK, you're fine."

Old 08-20-2010, 01:48 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,586,497 times
I try to use the net (forums) to diagnose car problems. So far I have a 100% success rate: A/C clutch broken, turn signal relay broken, brake switch worn out, vacuum hose leaking (check engine light), alternator pulley broken.

The official (German) car dealership that I used to use charges a $100 minimum diagnosis fee. A total rip-off (but I understand required to pay for the ultra-chic glitzy modern glass+steel building).

With consumer products, the combined knowledge of hundreds of thousands of customers who nowadays share their experiences online is very powerful. I'm almost always able to find repair guides with photos which help for DIY or also help to negotiate rates at independent shops.

About the egr valve: Please do your fellow citizens a favor and have it repaired. I don't think that this is a redundant part but essential for good air quality (I shudder remembering how cars used to STINK before modern exhaust systems).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>