Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:36 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I hate them too - I call them the sugar cube houses - but I think this article is a bunch of wishful thinking at least as far as Dallas is concerned. There are still loads of people who would rather commute far and live with tiny trees than buy a smaller home in Richardson (for example). I work in mortgage, believe me I know.

Not to mention we also have daily proof of the large home demand on this forum!
And just think of the revenues in property taxes that are generated. I just don't want them built on my street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 04:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I hate them too - I call them the sugar cube houses - but I think this article is a bunch of wishful thinking at least as far as Dallas is concerned. There are still loads of people who would rather commute far and live with tiny trees than buy a smaller home in Richardson (for example). I work in mortgage, believe me I know.

Not to mention we also have daily proof of the large home demand on this forum!
So true. My house is one of the larger ones on this street at 1820 sq ft, though there are a couple over 2000 sq ft that have had extensions built on them. People from out of state do not seem to connect high square footage with high energy bills, extremely high costs for window treatments, replacement windows, carpet cleaning, carpet replacement, constant cleaning, etc. The list goes on and on; that is why I did not buy a huge house even though it was within my means to do so. Even replacing an AC system in a house that size is a massive undertaking because the 4-ton condenser that sits in my house would not be adequate for a 3000 sq ft house. 1 ton cools 500 sq ft.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 PM

269 posts, read 863,419 times
To be fair, the McMansions aren't only located in the suburbs. There have been plenty of McMansions built in recent years in Highland Park, Preston Hollow and Lakewood -- they just cost more inside of LBJ than they do in the suburbs -- so possibly they are "Move Up Castles" rather than "Starter Castles."

Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
That's great. I have never heard that one before.

Garage Mahal is a show on DIY network.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,626 times
From the article:

"Diane Cheatham, owner of Urban Edge Developers in Dallas, said today, the average size of home they're building is 2,200 square feet, down from 2,500 in 2005 - which was considered small for Dallas back then."

Well, what about her setting a totally opposite example with her gargantuan monster house at 1 Vanguard?! That one looks like it is a 6000sf spaceship + complete with second floor swimming pool.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:05 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
From the article:

"Diane Cheatham, owner of Urban Edge Developers in Dallas, said today, the average size of home they're building is 2,200 square feet, down from 2,500 in 2005 - which was considered small for Dallas back then."

Well, what about her setting a totally opposite example with her gargantuan monster house at 1 Vanguard?! That one looks like it is a 6000sf spaceship + complete with second floor swimming pool.

My point exactly..It's all marketing and sales, smoke and mirrors..It's a sign of the times right now. Right now people have no money, so they are seeking solace in smaller, and greener. Bologna if you ask me. Those same sheep will look for the biggest most wasteful home they can pay for as soon as this economy turns. And it will..Eventually.

It's the American way.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:06 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Garage Mahal is a show on DIY network.
Is that a cable network? I guess I am out of luck.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:00 PM

76 posts, read 248,560 times
Quote:
When we moved here 3 years ago we had to tell the realtor no turret's
LOL.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:25 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
>>To be fair, the McMansions aren't only located in the suburbs. There have been plenty of McMansions built in recent years in Highland Park, Preston Hollow and Lakewood<<

'tis true .... especially across the street from Lakewood elementary school :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas