Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,271 times

Advertisements

househunterdfw @ What is your expectation of a "good" school ? You didn't mention the grades your children are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 01:16 PM

34 posts, read 94,340 times
our kids are young still - both under 5... but house will be long term - we have been moving for work for years now and ready to settle for the long haul....most important thing to us is having a good school and nice safe neighborhood for kids...was even considering areas in las colinas but the CFB schools got acad unacceptable and acceptable for those new homes in las colinas. Would like exempl or at least recognized in all grade levels

Old 09-05-2010, 03:55 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
You can always try to get your older child into the North Hills charter school; part of the Uplift program. Its a public school and very hard to get into but once one kid in the family gets in the other can, too. Scores exemplary at all levels. It is in Irving. Google it and learn more.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Yes we have heard about North Hills - the problem is it is a lottery system right? What if neither gets in...then we are stuck with Irving/CFB ISD...

Old 09-05-2010, 08:18 PM

What price range are you looking to spend on your new home?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:11 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,271 times
I had a high opinion of North Hills until I saw the curriculum and heard about the lack of facilities from one of my friend's son. I think they get high ratings due to less students whose parents are interested only in academic pursuit. There is more competition among parents than the kids themselves. Personally I'll prefer diversity and overall personality development rather than just academics.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 AM

I agree adixyz - that's why I would prefer a good public school vs private or charter....i think kids need diversity and enjoyment as kids - but still a good foundation of education -

Squirl - realistically we can buy a home up to 600K - prob more but it would make me uncomfortable and prob give me sleepless nights...i think we might look back at david weekly in coppell - we were trying to stay under 500K but I think we might have to cough up the extra money even though we were getting more price/sq foot with grand -what do you know about that development/builder?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:45 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
David Weekley is a MUCH better builder!!

Again, though, you don't have to be in Coppell to get an excellent school district. Flower Mound and Grapevine/Colleyville are right next to Coppell and also have excellent schools.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 AM

I'm a big fan of Coppell schools; of the town of Coppell and the Valley Ranch and Las Colinas areas, too. David Weekly is a well respected builder and I have been through many of their homes and love their floor plans. I will be the last person to ever buy a new home unless it is built in an established neighborhood. I have owned close to 30 houses; a few of them brand new. Just don't like new neighborhoods. I think Hackberry Creek in Las Colinas may have homes in the Coppell ISD; you might ask a realtor about that. I would rather spend more on a home in a great school district than on private schools. It makes good business sense all around from taxes to resale.....I still just love the homes with water views and would be willing to do a lot of updating for a property on a canal. Such great deals right now in existing homes and also the renovation companies are offering very good prices.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 PM

Yes Christie I know of those schools too but my husband works near UTsouthwestern so it would be quite a hike... also he doesnt know how long his current job may be and wants to stay relatively central in case of a job change in a year or two... i will have to look into hackberry creek - i thought they were million dollar homes but maybe not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas