Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 64,531 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
I'm seeking advice from the experts regarding the Rent to Own law in Texas.
I have a property that I want to lease with an option to buy.
I've read that the rent to own option is illegal in Texas since September 2005.
I've also read that you could do it for 180 days and you could extend it once. Is this true???
I read the bill but did not understand it 100%.
Is there any way around this law.
What if you do a straight lease agreement and do a future purchase contract separately. Is this possible/valid/legal???
Aslo, how do you determine the selling price 1-2 years from now??

Any ideas????

Thank you for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 09:59 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
You are correct that the "lease to own" or "rent to own" laws changed in Texas making them illegal. Too many times the renters never closed on the property. What you CAN do is basically "tote the note". You the owner of the property own the "note" and are the "lender". The mortgage payment made by the "buyer" is made to you instead of a bank. In other words you are providing "owner financing". This way there is not trying to determine a selling price for down the road and if the buyer negs on the loan you foreclose on them just like a bank would. Many people do this that have paid off properties that have another residence they live in. They do it to avoid a one time windfall of a large sum of money and the taxes associated w/ it. Even if the buyer has the money to pay cash or the means to bank finance the seller wants to avoid the lump sum taxes. A standard real estate contract would be used and a closing would still take place and the buyer would still have to pay closing costs and possibly a down payment if you requested one. But you hold the note just like a typical lender would. This is also much better than the "lease to own" as the property taxes then become in the name of the buyer instead of them staying in the name of the seller.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 64,531 times
Thank you for your response.

I guess I forgot to include one very important detail.
I still have a lien on the house. It is not paid off.
I owe 52K and the present MV is 129K.
Can I still follow your advice or is this a completely different scenario???

Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 23,515 times
my mother lives in texas and had a written agreement with a renter. so if there is a written agreement and the renter has not signed it, can the owner choose to terminate the written agreement on the rent to own. I did not know it was illegal in texas

Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chay1970 View Post
my mother lives in texas and had a written agreement with a renter. so if there is a written agreement and the renter has not signed it, can the owner choose to terminate the written agreement on the rent to own. I did not know it was illegal in texas
I don't believe it's illegal but must be put together by an attorney. Any questions regarding rent to own get into major legal issues only a lawyer can answer.

If her agreement was not put together by an attorney and not signed I would think there is wide room for problems.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:09 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Rakin is correct, they are not illegal, it is just illegal for Realtors to write them up without the assistance of an attorney.

If your mother signed it and the renter never signed it, then there is no agreement. I hope for her sake that she has at least a written lease agreement if she was to pursue eviction.

Naima

Old 09-29-2010, 04:30 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You are correct that the "lease to own" or "rent to own" laws changed in Texas making them illegal. Too many times the renters never closed on the property. What you CAN do is basically "tote the note". You the owner of the property own the "note" and are the "lender". The mortgage payment made by the "buyer" is made to you instead of a bank. In other words you are providing "owner financing". This way there is not trying to determine a selling price for down the road and if the buyer negs on the loan you foreclose on them just like a bank would. Many people do this that have paid off properties that have another residence they live in. They do it to avoid a one time windfall of a large sum of money and the taxes associated w/ it. Even if the buyer has the money to pay cash or the means to bank finance the seller wants to avoid the lump sum taxes. A standard real estate contract would be used and a closing would still take place and the buyer would still have to pay closing costs and possibly a down payment if you requested one. But you hold the note just like a typical lender would. This is also much better than the "lease to own" as the property taxes then become in the name of the buyer instead of them staying in the name of the seller.
momof2dfw is this quote still accurate based on todays laws? I am interested in the "tote the note" and would like to learn more

Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM

332 posts, read 1,386,817 times
Texas seller financing. Texas real estate law (http://www.hancockmcgill.com/h&m%20article%20seller%20financing%20primer.htm - broken link)

This is a good primer on seller financing. Lease to own isn't illegal, the statute makes the lease contract convertible into a deed and deed of trust.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 21,799 times
My questions has multi levels. My 85 yr old mother deeded over her property to my brother and myself. she had promised a friend he could buy the home, now we own the home and agree to sell to him if he can pay up front but he wants to pay a small up front amount and make monthly payments till the end of one yr and pay the balance. He has been living in the house since 9-2010 w/o making any payment or signing a contract. We tryed to evict after 4 month but he sued us for not selling him the house and the court would not issue a notice for evication after his law suite. 7 months later he wants us to owner finance the sell. We couldn't get him out when he didn't sign a contract the first time how hard will it be for us to take back the property if he is unable to fulfill the contract. His credit is bad and he already has creditors after him. We are only trying to do as our mother had promised to make her happy. This money will be used for any and all of her need going forward. Help!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
you should get advice from attorney for situation like this
not here
especially if it is all your mom's resources
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas