Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
You guys must go to different Super Targets than me because I've never found their groceries to even be remotely cheap.
Target sells a few grocery items at cheap prices but its produce, dairy, and meat prices are very high. Most of what I buy is lean meat or produce so I do most of my shopping at Sprouts. I'm now getting general grocery items at Kroger, Tom Thumb, even CVS...wherever I can find a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
You guys must go to different Super Targets than me because I've never found their groceries to even be remotely cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Target sells a few grocery items at cheap prices but its produce, dairy, and meat prices are very high. Most of what I buy is lean meat or produce so I do most of my shopping at Sprouts. I'm now getting general grocery items at Kroger, Tom Thumb, even CVS...wherever I can find a good deal.
When I've compared prices to what others pay for things like milk I usually pay the same or less at Target. I've found Targets prices to be very comparable and actually very reasonable. A LOT less than Kroger and Tom Thumb and on scale w/ Walmart (based on what friends say when we compare as I don't go there). Their prices for those products mentioned above are actually very good in this market.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
I have never found it difficult to not shopping at Walmart (enough negatives?). In fact it is pretty easy, I...just go somewhere else. Way to avoid it - don't stop.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I have never found it difficult to not shopping at Walmart (enough negatives?). In fact it is pretty easy, I...just go somewhere else. Way to avoid it - don't stop.
This might be difficult to understand, PanTerra, but I don't always shop at Wal-Mart willfully. Unfortunately, I have become addicted to it. This is why I have been considering starting a support group that attends different Wal-Marts for the express purpose of just standing around and not buying anything.
Of course, one trick is to shop at dollar stores. Why buy a Chinese product at Walmart when one can buy a Chinese product cheaper at a dollar store? And the Chinese products at the dollar store tend to be wrapped in cheaper packaging meaning that I will be able to open it easier to find out how it is defective.
When shopping at Walmart, I find myself constantly worried. One reason are all the illegal toddlers being allowed to stand up in the baskets and finger all the Chinese merchandise. And, of course, I find myself always having to walk out the front of the store to constantly keep an eye on my vehicle. And trying to avoid all the poor Walmart employees out in front panhandling is just, well, not a very positive shopping experience to say the least.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:41 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
This might be difficult to understand, PanTerra, but I don't always shop at Wal-Mart willfully. Unfortunately, I have become addicted to it. This is why I have been considering starting a support group that attends different Wal-Marts for the express purpose of just standing around and not buying anything.
Going through withdrawls is never easy. Since you know you have a problem, and intervention would be superfluous.

Quote:
Of course, one trick is to shop at dollar stores. Why buy a Chinese product at Walmart when one can buy a Chinese product cheaper at a dollar store? And the Chinese products at the dollar store tend to be wrapped in cheaper packaging meaning that I will be able to open it easier to find out how it is defective.
When shopping at Walmart, I find myself constantly worried. One reason are all the illegal toddlers being allowed to stand up in the baskets and finger all the Chinese merchandise. And, of course, I find myself always having to walk out the front of the store to constantly keep an eye on my vehicle. And trying to avoid all the poor Walmart employees out in front panhandling is just, well, not a very positive shopping experience to say the least.
I always seem to have been overdressed when I have gone into a Walmart.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM

171 posts, read 545,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You call it BS, I call it principle. If Target had not reneged on its pledge to donate an equal amount to an LGBT advocacy group, I would feel differently. I can make my own shopping decisions and so can you. There are plenty of stores around and I know my avoidance of Target won't hurt their bottom line but at the same time I can't spend my money there. Not after what they did.
Agreed Big D! I refuse to shop at Target for exactly that reason. I also boycotted Exxon during the Valdez debacle and I will not buy gas at any BP owned business as well.

I hate WalMart and try to avoid it at all costs. The Tom Thumb in Coppell has lowered some of their prices I've noticed--I think because Sprouts has opened up and their produce is awesome and sometimes very cheap.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Going through withdrawls is never easy. Since you know you have a problem, and intervention would be superfluous.

I always seem to have been overdressed when I have gone into a Walmart.
Indeed, this is why I first take my mental medication, put on a wrinkled shirt, and slip on a pair of pants with holes in them before shopping at Wal-Mart. But even though I look like a bum and have no money, the door greeter's cheerfulness still inspires me to go shopping. I proceed like a mad man possessed running about the store from aisle to aisle and from illegal alien to illegal alien, alternating between racking in lots of Chinese products into my cart to throwing myself under the helpless bodies of falling illegal toddlers.
I then like to stop off at the pharmacy where they have a machine that allows me to take my blood pressure.
From there, rather than going through the long lines at the check out, I find it more effecient just to go directly to customer service to return all the items.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,124 times
Isn't it true that Walmart used to pride itself on selling American made products? Guess that was left in the dust. Or am I making that up? And, yes, that would make a difference to me.

As for those people who get to work there instead of at a meat processing plant (?), I guess a job is a job. I know I've heard that Walmart used to hire people just for part time hours to save on benefits. I think they have since changed that stance. Perhaps some issues with Wage and Hour laws showed them the way?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
I guess a job is a job.
What a job ISN'T is unemployment.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Isn't it true that Walmart used to pride itself on selling American made products? Guess that was left in the dust. Or am I making that up? And, yes, that would make a difference to me.
No, you are not making that up. That was one of their huge sales gimmicks. They had a picture of something red/white/blue above stuff that was "Made in America" above the items and I believe there were even commercials.

Here is some info I found:

In 1985, amid anxiety about trade deficits and the loss of American manufacturing jobs, Walton launched a "Made in America" campaign that committed Wal-Mart to buying American-made products if suppliers could get within 5 percent of the price of a foreign competitor.
The first blow fell only months later when "Dateline NBC" produced an exposé on the company's sourcing practices. Although Wal-Mart's "Made in America" campaign was still nominally in effect, "Dateline" showed that store-level associates had posted "Made in America" signs over merchandise actually produced in far away sweatshops.

Not only did Walton prefer to hire as few people as possible, but he also dreaded paying them more than he had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas