Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:34 PM

438 posts, read 1,782,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
Since these houses are over 50 years old, are they well built? Any concerns about them falling apart or having foundation problems?
I'd much rather have my 1961 pier-and-beam foundation than a more "modern" slab. No cracks, no sticky doors, no warping.

I'd drive around and look at the brickwork in the neighborhoods you like. On my street I think there is maybe one house with cracks visible on the outside. In some areas in DFW many houses are visibly settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM

225 posts, read 518,753 times
To the OP.

In addition to some of this good advice, consider the resale value of your home in the future as well. Many of the areas East of 75 (not all) have experienced accelerated depreciation in relationship to the comparable areas West of 75. On the one hand, you will probably get a little more house for your money, but you will also be more open to selling it for less should the downturn continue for an extended period of time. It really comes down to what you're looking for and why you are buying in the first place.

I'd also suggest staying in the Richardson High School or Pearce High School feeder pattern if you want to live in Richardson.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:02 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kirkpatrick View Post
To the OP.

In addition to some of this good advice, consider the resale value of your home in the future as well. Many of the areas East of 75 (not all) have experienced accelerated depreciation in relationship to the comparable areas West of 75. On the one hand, you will probably get a little more house for your money, but you will also be more open to selling it for less should the downturn continue for an extended period of time. It really comes down to what you're looking for and why you are buying in the first place.

I'd also suggest staying in the Richardson High School or Pearce High School feeder pattern if you want to live in Richardson.
FYI, not all areas east of 75 in Richardson have seen "accelerated depreciation". Good friends just sold their house in 2 weeks for list. East of 75 and in the Berkner zone. There ARE some very nice areas East of 75 that have done very well.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
FYI, not all areas east of 75 in Richardson have seen "accelerated depreciation". Good friends just sold their house in 2 weeks for list. East of 75 and in the Berkner zone. There ARE some very nice areas East of 75 that have done very well.
Agreed, there are; and there are areas east of 75 that are gorgeous.

But people do have attitude about school districts and the east/west divide on 75 which goes through Dallas and carries on at least through Allen. For resale, west of 75 > east of 75. That is not to say that there are not gems and turds on both sides.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM

225 posts, read 518,753 times
That's great that they sold their house for close to list. If I listed my house for $10,000, I would receive above list, but that doesn't really matter. Please read my blog on this very subject in my profile labeled The Dallas area is Always a Buyer's Market and That's Just Fine . Nevertheless, that is why I qualified the statement with a (not all) if you read my response carefully.

I'm not sure why my "accelerated depreciation" comment is in quotes in your reply? It is a quantitative fact that is worth mentioning to some one who doesn't know that area in general.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 AM

5 posts, read 11,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That area is mostly light industrial. Mostly warehouses, the chevrolet dealership and a few other small businesses. I find it fairly safe and know many businesses in that area and don't know of any problems.

Thanks very much for the feedback on that area momof2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas