Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
IMO a true Texan is one who was raised in TX and spent at least the first 20 years growing up there. aka ME. Texas is the best state EVER!!! For all natives still there, don't take it for granted, it's a great state with some of the greatest people on Earth. FLORIDA SUCKSSS!!!!!
I have a friend who fits that criteria except he was born here too. He doesn't claim to be a Texan or a southerner for that matter. He just isn't into southern culture, if you will. I'm not either, so he and I get along really well. I like it and he's the best native I know!!

He lived in Dallas (Highland Park) and worked there for many years. He still comments, "I may have lived and work in the Dallas area, but I'm not of Dallas." Knowing him, I understand what he means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 AM

12 posts, read 37,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. You either get it or you don't. I feel a kinship with those who get it. I lived abroad first and then 4 harrowing years in California. Getting to Texas was like getting to somewhere my soul understood. Kinda like when I go to Hawaii...something just connects.

If you don't get it, move along.

I think that sums up my feelings as well. It's funny, when I went to boarding school for two years during high school the teachers would always comment on how students from Texas had the most state pride of any other students from other states. Borderline obsession they would say.

Some youtube blogger who hates Texas (theamazingatheist I think is his name) made a point that if you insult the home state of almost any other person other than a Texan they just shrug it off but us Texans take it personally and get overly defensive.

Must be programmed in our brains from childhood or something, can't really explain it

Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatexan View Post
I think that sums up my feelings as well. It's funny, when I went to boarding school for two years during high school the teachers would always comment on how students from Texas had the most state pride of any other students from other states. Borderline obsession they would say.

Some youtube blogger who hates Texas (theamazingatheist I think is his name) made a point that if you insult the home state of almost any other person other than a Texan they just shrug it off but us Texans take it personally and get overly defensive.

Must be programmed in our brains from childhood or something, can't really explain it
I wouldn't shrug off an insult to my mother, my father, my brother, my friends, my dog, or my state. It's all part of the same thing.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM

719 posts, read 1,553,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I have a friend who fits that criteria except he was born here too. He doesn't claim to be a Texan or a southerner for that matter. He just isn't into southern culture, if you will. I'm not either, so he and I get along really well. I like it and he's the best native I know!!

He lived in Dallas (Highland Park) and worked there for many years. He still comments, "I may have lived and work in the Dallas area, but I'm not of Dallas." Knowing him, I understand what he means.
I kinda share your feelings on this. I very much appreciate the job and the lifestyle I have here but I'm not now, and likely never will be, what most would consider a "true texan". I've been here approx 1/3 of my life now and I think that realization has sunk in that I will always be an "outsider" to folks here. Maybe it's my total lack of southern accent. Maybe it's my political leanings. Maybe it's my personality. Who knows. Eventually I'll probably be gone to the NE and some other yankee can take my place...

Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
I kinda share your feelings on this. I very much appreciate the job and the lifestyle I have here but I'm not now, and likely never will be, what most would consider a "true texan". I've been here approx 1/3 of my life now and I think that realization has sunk in that I will always be an "outsider" to folks here. Maybe it's my total lack of southern accent. Maybe it's my political leanings. Maybe it's my personality. Who knows. Eventually I'll probably be gone to the NE and some other yankee can take my place...
I don't know if it's any one characteristic more than it's a state of mind. My parents are from India, I grew up in Indonesia, I lived in Cali for 4 years, and we are all Texans through and through. And it didn't take all 21 years of our living here to become that.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
Quote:
I've been here approx 1/3 of my life now and I think that realization has sunk in that I will always be an "outsider" to folks here. Maybe it's my total lack of southern accent. Maybe it's my political leanings. Maybe it's my personality. Who knows. Eventually I'll probably be gone to the NE and some other yankee can take my place...
Maybe you're just around the wrong people. I've made lots of friends since I've lived in Dallas who aren't from this state, don't have a Texas accent, and have political views across the spectrum, but I don't think any of them feel like outsiders. One of my best friends is a big, loud New Jersey native with a heavy NJ accent--he's the life of the party and everyone loves the guy. I've never even thought of him as an "outsider." I recall someone posting the other day that over half of the people in the Metroplex weren't even born in this state--that makes natives like me the minority here. Like I said earlier, I don't think most of us care where you're from originally--we just like good, genuine people who are fun to be around.

Of course the people who are in-your-face with "Texas rules, everybody else sucks" attitude annoy the spit out of me, so I can't say I really have any friends like that. Here's hoping you can find a diverse group of friends like mine who don't think of others as "outsiders" and just appreciate their friends for who they are.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I know someone from my neighborhood who graduated from my high school in 1943 and his father was a Dallas native - no accent at all. I think the accents run in the families who moved here from East Texas going back 60-90 years ago.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Well, don't worry about it. Being a "true" or "real" person is all that matters even if one lives in Timbuktu.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
My former neighbour told me people can call her anything they want but don't call her a Texan. She was born and raised in Flowermound.

She wanted to leave Texas so bad, but didn't have the money being a single mother of 2. She definatly was not into the Texas thing. I actually never met anyone there that was into being a Texan... thank goodness. Only on this board I see it.

The attitude we see here is not representive of what I saw in people when I lived there. If they do have this attitude, they best stay in Texas, because they are not received well in other states.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
My former neighbour told me people can call her anything they want but don't call her a Texan. She was born and raised in Flowermound.

She wanted to leave Texas so bad, but didn't have the money being a single mother of 2. She definatly was not into the Texas thing. I actually never met anyone there that was into being a Texan... thank goodness. Only on this board I see it.

The attitude we see here is not representive of what I saw in people when I lived there. If they do have this attitude, they best stay in Texas, because they are not received well in other states.

You made your point with your first post...you hate Texas...we get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas