Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,296 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Plano near (Coit/Spring Creek) and are having a hard time getting to know our neighbors and feeling settled in and there are not a lot of kids around. We are in an older neighborhood which I thought I would love because it was "settled". I have found that many of the neighbors have lived there for years and aren't really interested in getting to know new people. So a newer neighborhood where everyone is new and in the same position would be wonderful for a change.I'm also have a hard time connecting to moms at the school. I'm not cliquey, very laid back, I love my jeans, do not enjoying dressing up and only wear makeup when I feel like it which is not very often .

We are looking at Frisco and prefer close to 121 & Custer/Independence area in the max 325K price range and would love info on communities that have lots of kids, esp in 6th grade (boy) & 3rd grade (girl). We would love a community that has a plenty of community events and get-togethers. We are fairly new to Dallas and have been in Plano for 3 years. Originally from OH.
Both me and my husband work full time (Me in Plano and Hubby in Irving) but I am hoping to go part time next year and only work while the kids are in school.
Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 PM

159 posts, read 276,443 times
Hi Purple,

My family and I have been in dallas all of 8 months and I was in the same search as you. We currently live in Frisco just off of Eldorado and Independence in the Village of Willow Bay subdivision. I'd say that's a fairly new area-houses built in 2006 and most of the neighbors on my street are from other states which allowed us to have something in common. What I have found is that most people will say hi but unless you make the first move, they won't go out of their way to have get togethers etc. I've attended some of the neighborhood events and have met some nice people. I've even volunteered for some of the events and it's ok but not really what I expected. I am finding that I am making more friends at church than in the neighborhood.

I think my subdivision is nice, Panther creek is nice and Heights at westridge is a nice area (in Mckinney but schools are frisco isd). All of those areas are nice. Not as close to the mall but those are newer subdivisions.

I'd be happy to show you around if you are interested. Im in school during the day so I have a pretty flexible schedule. I know how it is to relocate and not really feel connected.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:47 PM

225 posts, read 516,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBecca View Post
We currently live in Plano near (Coit/Spring Creek) and are having a hard time getting to know our neighbors and feeling settled in and there are not a lot of kids around. We are in an older neighborhood which I thought I would love because it was "settled". I have found that many of the neighbors have lived there for years and aren't really interested in getting to know new people. So a newer neighborhood where everyone is new and in the same position would be wonderful for a change.I'm also have a hard time connecting to moms at the school. I'm not cliquey, very laid back, I love my jeans, do not enjoying dressing up and only wear makeup when I feel like it which is not very often .

We are looking at Frisco and prefer close to 121 & Custer/Independence area in the max 325K price range and would love info on communities that have lots of kids, esp in 6th grade (boy) & 3rd grade (girl). We would love a community that has a plenty of community events and get-togethers. We are fairly new to Dallas and have been in Plano for 3 years. Originally from OH.
Both me and my husband work full time (Me in Plano and Hubby in Irving) but I am hoping to go part time next year and only work while the kids are in school.
Thanks for any input.
Here are a couple of recommendations I would make off the cuff. Though this isn't on top of 121 and Independence, it wouldn't be too far from that location in Frisco and might be an even better middle ground for you and your husband given your work locations.

Check out Lakes of Legacy and Heritage Lakes. Both are newer communities teaming with families. Both of these neighborhoods have a membership built into the Lakes Tennis Academy located right off of Legacy, just North of Warren Pkwy. The LTA has a swimming pool and top shelf work two story work out facility. I love it! I actually pay the membership to play tennis there and live in Plano myself. Also I know one of those subdivisons, I believe it is the Lakes of Legacy has a little nine hole golf course and awesome community pool. I can double check if this area is desirable to you, just let me know.

These subdivisons are higher end but there are a good 20 to 30 returns for a price point up to 325k (lowest was 258k). Every one of these homes for sale is over 3,000 sq. ft. but two. I think this is the best area of Frisco to be in. It's a lot of fun and the people seem to interact quite a bit from my experience if that is what you're looking for.

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM

95 posts, read 278,021 times
Willow Bay here as well. We met two families before we even moved in! The pool is a very social setting as well and there are bunco and poker nights and scheduled Gals/Guys Nights Out.

Housing is in your price range.

I would point out that in our previous house (Maryland) we started the same as you - mostly long standing, empty-nester residents. But over the course of a few years this changed and they were replaced with families like ours.

Anyway, good luck!

Old 10-05-2010, 04:41 PM

85 posts, read 216,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kirkpatrick View Post
Here are a couple of recommendations I would make off the cuff. Though this isn't on top of 121 and Independence, it wouldn't be too far from that location in Frisco and might be an even better middle ground for you and your husband given your work locations.

Check out Lakes of Legacy and Heritage Lakes. Both are newer communities teaming with families. Both of these neighborhoods have a membership built into the Lakes Tennis Academy located right off of Legacy, just North of Warren Pkwy. The LTA has a swimming pool and top shelf work two story work out facility. I love it! I actually pay the membership to play tennis there and live in Plano myself. Also I know one of those subdivisons, I believe it is the Lakes of Legacy has a little nine hole golf course and awesome community pool. I can double check if this area is desirable to you, just let me know.

These subdivisons are higher end but there are a good 20 to 30 returns for a price point up to 325k (lowest was 258k). Every one of these homes for sale is over 3,000 sq. ft. but two. I think this is the best area of Frisco to be in. It's a lot of fun and the people seem to interact quite a bit from my experience if that is what you're looking for.

Thanks,

Ryan
We currently live in Heritage Lakes. Great neighborhood, and it's the one with the 9 hole par-3 golf course. Very small lots here, but nice homes. Great community with a fantastic pool (like a resort).

Only negative is the HOA dues. They run over $1400/year, so it's significant. Also, it's in the Lewisville ISD, which I think lowers housing prices here by 5-10% alone.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:05 AM

16 posts, read 49,901 times
I feel your pain! I have another thread here looking for similar areas to relocate to, but unfortunately in a much lower price point (ie $175-200k) -- which makes it harder! We live right off Eldorado/Independence in The Heights at Westridge and I've found it almost impossible to meet people! It's a bit tougher for us because we're a younger couple who won't enter the Parent Club for another 2-3 years but have found our neighborhood almost goes out of its way to avoid each other. I also hear you on the working front. The few groups our area does have are strictly for parents during the daytime on weekdays, and I'll never have the perk of being a stay at home. We have also rented in Parview Estates off Alma/Stonebridge and found the same issue.

I hope you find a spot where people actually have an interest in creating a community atmosphere! =)

Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 AM

159 posts, read 276,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrittney View Post
I feel your pain! I have another thread here looking for similar areas to relocate to, but unfortunately in a much lower price point (ie $175-200k) -- which makes it harder! We live right off Eldorado/Independence in The Heights at Westridge and I've found it almost impossible to meet people! It's a bit tougher for us because we're a younger couple who won't enter the Parent Club for another 2-3 years but have found our neighborhood almost goes out of its way to avoid each other. I also hear you on the working front. The few groups our area does have are strictly for parents during the daytime on weekdays, and I'll never have the perk of being a stay at home. We have also rented in Parview Estates off Alma/Stonebridge and found the same issue.

I hope you find a spot where people actually have an interest in creating a community atmosphere! =)

Hi MrsBrittney,

I live in Village of Willow Bay and I am extremely shy when it comes to meeting new people. One thing I might suggest is getting involved with volunteering with the HOA. That's what I did and the people warmed up to me pretty nicely. It's pretty much one core group that does all of the volunteering but usually at the events is where I meet new families. Most of the families here are either empty nesters, new parents, or new couples.

OP, If you step right across the dividing line between Frisco and McKinney, you can get a nice house in a lower price point and stay in the Frisco ISD. I've been in the area where MrsBrittney stays and i've seen quite a few homes for under 200k.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,116 times
Default Willow Bay information

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL70 View Post
Willow Bay here as well. We met two families before we even moved in! The pool is a very social setting as well and there are bunco and poker nights and scheduled Gals/Guys Nights Out.

Housing is in your price range.

I would point out that in our previous house (Maryland) we started the same as you - mostly long standing, empty-nester residents. But over the course of a few years this changed and they were replaced with families like ours.

Anyway, good luck!

Hi,

We were thinking of moving to Willow Bay area. We like the houses.

However wanted to check if the community has an near-by park/playground where kids play ( without getting into a car and driving to a park). Will appreciate you feedback on Willow Bay

thanks

Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 PM

13 posts, read 35,700 times
My advice is very generic but joining HOA, PTA, going to park, recreation center, YMCA, fitness club, golf club, tennis club, preschool, kids soccer league are good ways to connect with other families.

Taking initiative to make eye contact, saying hi, asking about some neighborhood issue, taking cookies to neighbors, offering help to elderly are instant ice breakers.

Getting a puppy and walking it around the neighborhood is also a good way to gain friends. Older neighbors often open up if they see you doing gardening or sprucing up your house, it reflects on your interest in being a part of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas