Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 PM

96 posts, read 315,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlett mom View Post
Welcome to Texas, I think you will like it in the Royse City, Rockwall area.
My kids are gown, but this is a really good place to raise kids. with boating on the lake and if you have room for horses, your kids will stay busy and out of trouble.
Thank you for the Welcome. I have only been to Texas 3 times but I find the people to be real and so friendly. Not like here in CA. I do have children ages 22, 18, 14, 9. Yes we can't wait to have horses.

I do have to ask..... Should I have to worry a lot about tornados? I'm sure you must be laughing. Just how when people move to CA and ask about the earthquakes.

Again thanks for the Welcome. 14 more days and we will be in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 06:51 PM

141 posts, read 686,061 times
I wouldn't worry about tornados too much. make sure your family has a plan, an interior room or closet to take shelter in. We have a front interior bathroom that doesn't have windows, so that is where we would take shelter. You may check out getting a generator to keep your house running if you have bad weather and you don't want to be without power. The last time we lost power for any amout of time was because a teenager hit a utility pole and knocked out power for about 4 hours one Saturday night.
its of course always good to have bottled water and the same sort of rations you kept stockpiled in case of an earthquake. Once again welcome to Texas, have fun with the horses.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks Rowlett mom,

Bad news we are still in CA had some set back with escrow. Hopefully by next Saturday we will leave CA and make the trip to RC

Old 09-17-2007, 07:15 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Smile Check Out The Harbor

After you arrive here, don't forget to check out The Harbor. It's becoming a fantastic place for the entire family, with shops, food and fun, daytime or night. It's on the eastern shores of Lake Ray Hubbard right off I-30. You'll enjoy it.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
After you arrive here, don't forget to check out The Harbor. It's becoming a fantastic place for the entire family, with shops, food and fun, daytime or night. It's on the eastern shores of Lake Ray Hubbard right off I-30. You'll enjoy it.

Thanks, I can't wait to check that out.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:55 AM

27 posts, read 101,432 times
Default made it!

hEY EVERYONE, i JUST WANTED TO SAY, i MADE IT TO rOCKWALL, WITH MY TWO KIDS, AND i AM LOVING IT SO FAR!
They are attending a great elementery school, and we are really settiling in. I am looking at the area to buy a house, maybe in Feb of next year. Until then, I will just get my feet wet, put my resume out, and keep researching the area. Lake Hubbard Is beautiful. ALready been boating!
This area is so convenient! THanks to all for helping in my decisin to move from Japan, and smile Texas style!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasorbust View Post
Thanks, I can't wait to check that out.
Try Gloria's for Salvadorian mexican food (good mojito's and margarita's - I personally like the Gloria's sampler plate).

Dodie's for cajun (VERY laidback atmosphere).

Ruby Tuesdays is good too.

There is a place in Rockwall that is in someones backyard that has THE BEST hamburgers. They are only open during the week and close when they run out of meat. The place is called Boots Burgers and is located at 701 Austin St. PS, you can look it up on whitepages.com and they have a map available.

Of course Snuffers for cheese fries, margaritas and looking at the lake.

Too bad Cajun Catfish closed

Double Daves for the pizza buffet and pepperoni rolls.

For shopping if you want to visit the newest SuperTarget close to Rockwall there is one in Rowlett on Hwy 66.

For appliance shopping I HIGHLY recommend North Texas Appliance. They have their main store on the square on Kaufman and a "chip & dent" store on I-30. They are supposed to be moving everything out to the I-30 location.

If you want to get fully immersed in Rockwall this is a good time. Football. Start going to the football games on Friday nights. The away games are not far either as they are in the same division w/ the Garland high schools.

Glad you made it all safe and sound and enjoying it. Keep us posted on how it all goes.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:36 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Talking You Came On In, and the Water Was Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmile13 View Post
hEY EVERYONE, i JUST WANTED TO SAY, i MADE IT TO rOCKWALL, WITH MY TWO KIDS, AND i AM LOVING IT SO FAR!
They are attending a great elementery school, and we are really settiling in. I am looking at the area to buy a house, maybe in Feb of next year. Until then, I will just get my feet wet, put my resume out, and keep researching the area. Lake Hubbard Is beautiful. ALready been boating!
This area is so convenient! THanks to all for helping in my decisin to move from Japan, and smile Texas style!
Well, you got in the lake for sure. You really did get your feet wet!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:58 AM

27 posts, read 101,432 times
I surely did! and I am looking forward to momof2dfw's advice on trying out her reccomendations for the area! I also herad Glorias has good margaritas!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmile13 View Post

Hi dsmile13,

I will be following you soon. In fact our house just closed. Yeah!!!!

We will be making the drive from CA to Texas this Sunday.

Do you own a boat? or can you rent them. It would be fun to get out on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas