Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,854,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So how would you feel about Longview vs. Tyler?
WTF?

Where did that come from & how does it have anything to remotely do with Dallas, Irving, Arlington, Fort Worth, Texas Stadium, or the Dallas Cowboys?

Tyler & Longview are in two separate metros anyways & will remain that way for as long as I'm alive anyways although they do share some of the same media outlets & have somewhat of a commuting pattern between the two cities.

Longview is like a less progressive, smaller version of Tyler even though its been located in a wet county for as long as I can remember. Tyler & Smith County are just now starting to embrace the idea of going completely wet & rewriting those old outdated liquor laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:34 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Seriously. Dallas is by far and quite easily the most marketable city in the North Texas region. Same with San Francisco in the Bay Area, Tampa in the Tampa Bay Area, Miami in the South Florida region, and so on and so on. People say they will go watch the Florida Panthers hockey team in Miami and they don't even play in Dade County. It is what it is.

This is not Dallas fault. This is not ESPN fault. Blame your own city for not marketing their name themselves.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 PM

744 posts, read 1,840,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
But DFW airport is not in the city of Dallas. See, what makes Dallas the principle city of the metroplex is its marketing and shopping designations in both retail and wholesale trade. The city of Dallas, central Dallas in particular, is no longer at the center of the Metropolitan area. It is being pushed further away every day from that designation to the east and south. Downtown Dallas continues to be a shrinking office market. It no longer is the principle commercial shopping district of the metroplex. The commercial shopping districts now exist north of town in Preston Center, Northpark and in the Galleria areas.
Draw a line from Highland Park Village to the northeast to Northpark, from Northpark to the northwest to the Galleria, from the Galleria back to the south to Preston Center, and from Preston Center further to the south back to Highland Park Village. This is the new heart and soul of the Dallas - Fort Worth area.
The Galleria and Northpark areas are in the city limits of Dallas.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Apparently you ignored my post so I'm going to say this AGAIN.

STOP.... CRYING... OVER.... THE STADIUM'S LOCATION.

And dude, really, if you think Dallas is the ONLY imporant city in this area, than you must be smokin' something. Remember, everything that's coming to the Stadium was by effort of ALL North Texas cities. Not just Dallas.

Also, you're taking people in Tarrant County calling them the "Fort Worth Cowboys" THAT seriously? lol. Either you feel threatened by the thought, or you're just rubbing it in that Dallas is more well known. Either way, it's just sad and pathetic. If you wanna be a serious homer, that's fine, but don't get SO much full of you're town that you ignore basic facts. Though the Rangers are considered a "Dallas team", they've never been in the Dallas city limits or Dallas County. The Cowboys COULD have had the stadium back in Dallas, but YOUR city council and mayor spent more time arguing and couldn't get it done.

So call them DALLAS teams. Say that Fort Worth will never be on the level of Dallas ...... You STILL have to come to THIS SIDE of the Metroplex to see YOUR teams.
The Rangers and Cowboys are not in Fort Worth either. Take out a map sometime and read it sometime. The DFW Internation Airport is not in Fort Worth either.

But Dallas has Love Field and its own NBA and NHL teams in town.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
The Rangers and Cowboys are not in Fort Worth either. Take out a map sometime and read it sometime. The DFW Internation Airport is not in Fort Worth either.

They might as well be...

Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Technically the Rangers are not a Dallas team and have never been considered exclusive to Dallas. The Rangers replaced the baseball team Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs and they where actually based in Fort Worth.
The Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs were a minor league team that started from combining both Dallas and Fort Worth teams. There has been talk of having the Rangers in Dallas. Dallas by itself doesn't even need Fort Worth to be big. it is a city with 1.3 million in population and if you axe out Tarrant County the Dallas metro area is around 4 million. They could easily support both major league baseball and NFL football without Fort Worth and an airport around the size of Houston's. They are already have Love Field which is the city's version of Houston's Hobby and was also once the primary airport in the area. Don't forget most of the area's TV stations, the bureaus of CNN, NBC News, CNBC, etc., is based in Dallas. Dallas also has a public transportations system, including a subway downtown with a rail service serving the city and suburbs. Fort Worth has none of that. Its little subway system which was more of a tourist attraction is now gone. People refer to Dallas when referring to the Rangers because they are technically Dallas' team. Heck, Dallas could support a team in the national league and I think they should consider getting one of them and just let Fort Worth claim the Rangers, it is not like they are any good anyway.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,784,389 times
Quote:

Again, you just skip over 90% of what I said and look at what you want to look at.

I didn't say at all that they were in Fort Worth, did I? I said "our side of the Metroplex". That's not the same as "Fort Worth".

NO ONE here is talking about the size of the city, NO ONE here is talking about what Fort Worth has, and NO ONE here keeps bringing up this lil' pissing contest but YOU. I could care less what Dallas could or couldn't support. The point I'm making is, that city shares a mega-metro area with another big city and mid-sized city that just so happen to support the same sports teams. The stadiums and teams aren't in Dallas, but I just have to ask why you even care in the first place? That's what I don't get.... You got it all, even when it's not in your hand. Yet, you still complain about it..... I just don't get it. I don't get why you just can't get over the fact that the Boys aren't in Dallas County anymore.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
The Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs were a minor league team that started from combining both Dallas and Fort Worth teams. There has been talk of having the Rangers in Dallas. Dallas by itself doesn't even need Fort Worth to be big. it is a city with 1.3 million in population and if you axe out Tarrant County the Dallas metro area is around 4 million. They could easily support both major league baseball and NFL football without Fort Worth and an airport around the size of Houston's. They are already have Love Field which is the city's version of Houston's Hobby and was also once the primary airport in the area. Don't forget most of the area's TV stations, the bureaus of CNN, NBC News, CNBC, etc., is based in Dallas. Dallas also has a public transportations system, including a subway downtown with a rail service serving the city and suburbs. Fort Worth has none of that. Its little subway system which was more of a tourist attraction is now gone. People refer to Dallas when referring to the Rangers because they are technically Dallas' team. Heck, Dallas could support a team in the national league and I think they should consider getting one of them and just let Fort Worth claim the Rangers, it is not like they are any good anyway.
Whoa...stop right here!!!

You don't even wanna go there...

Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,784,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Seriously. Dallas is by far and quite easily the most marketable city in the North Texas region. Same with San Francisco in the Bay Area, Tampa in the Tampa Bay Area, Miami in the South Florida region, and so on and so on. People say they will go watch the Florida Panthers hockey team in Miami and they don't even play in Dade County. It is what it is.

This is not Dallas fault. This is not ESPN fault. Blame your own city for not marketing their name themselves.
Well what do you expect a city to do when it's one of the WORST in the country (from like 1970-1990)? Fort Worth actually lost people at a time, but those days are over.

Also, there is marketing to other cities to actually visit the city and plus we got ESPN comin' to Sundance Sq. TCU, the Zoo, the Cultural District, the Armed Forces Bowl..... It's not like Fort Worth hasn't tried since this lil' renaissance began to get the name out.

And just to let ya know, it may not be ALL Dallas's fault or the media's fault, but it doesn't really help when you got certain Dallasites (like our OP here) kickin' it's neighbor to the side and jumping at the chance to say that everything in DFW "belongs" to Dallas.
Not blaming, just listening.....

Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

Again, you just skip over 90% of what I said and look at what you want to look at.

I didn't say at all that they were in Fort Worth, did I? I said "our side of the Metroplex". That's not the same as "Fort Worth".

NO ONE here is talking about the size of the city, NO ONE here is talking about what Fort Worth has, and NO ONE here keeps bringing up this lil' pissing contest but YOU. I could care less what Dallas could or couldn't support. The point I'm making is, that city shares a mega-metro area with another big city and mid-sized city that just so happen to support the same sports teams. The stadiums and teams aren't in Dallas, but I just have to ask why you even care in the first place? That's what I don't get.... You got it all, even when it's not in your hand. Yet, you still complain about it..... I just don't get it. I don't get why you just can't get over the fact that the Boys aren't in Dallas County anymore.
The Mavs and the Stars are still in Dallas, don't forget that. I am making these points because Fort Worth people and their government seem obsessed with trying to claim everything that moves next door to them, like the Rangers, Cowboys and especially DFW Airport(which is partly in Dallas county). They are also obsessed with beating Dallas. They need to just accept the city as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas