Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,448,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post

I'm lost with Pepper's post up there...
Don't get lost - get yourself down to the Arts District on every third Friday of the month.

Dallas Museum of Art

The Crow Collection of Asian Art : Event Calendar

Nasher Sculpture Center - 'til Midnight at the Nasher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 PM

21 posts, read 37,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I've met some pretty darn good friends while attending the Franconia Brewery's Saturday tour. We're beer geeks though so we had something to talk about right outta the box. They're really my only "non work friends" since moving here. They have kids and my wife and I don't so it's harder to meet up and do adult type things.

Addison's Oktoberfest is this weekend. You could potentially meet people with similar interests there, depending on what your's are. There should be a lot of people like us (in our 20's) there.

What did you like to do in Chicago?

I'm lost with Pepper's post up there...
I grew up in the surrounding Chicago area so all of my old friends are still there. We would go to clubs, go out to eat, chill at each others apartments etc. I've known them my whole life so I mean we would just do stuff that friends do.

By the way, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll try a few of these and see how things turn out.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 PM

436 posts, read 1,344,357 times
I'd suggest meetup.com too. I know most of my friends from work, through my alumni groups (if you graduated from a Big 10 school or even like one or more of them, most of the groups are of fairly good size here) and by playing in sports leagues (as someone else suggested) and meeting friends of those friends.

Dallas Sport and Social was a branch of Chicago Sport and Social Club (where it all started) and has gone through a couple of reincarnations since the 90s. Big D Sports also runs good leagues...kind of biased toward this one since a few of my friends started this organization a few years ago but they are friends who I met through Dallas Sport and Social. Can't go wrong with either set of leagues.

And, yeah, you're probably going to need to venture out of Lewisville. Nothing wrong with that city, just not a concentration of twenty somethings to hang out with.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,434,851 times
Come hang out with me, we'll go to a local cat-house. I meet lots of women there!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 PM

885 posts, read 1,545,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Come hang out with me, we'll go to a local cat-house. I meet lots of women there!
What's a cat-house?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,434,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
What's a cat-house?
Winter, where you from?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Hahaha. Let's roll!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
I'd suggest meetup.com too. I know most of my friends from work, through my alumni groups (if you graduated from a Big 10 school or even like one or more of them, most of the groups are of fairly good size here) and by playing in sports leagues (as someone else suggested) and meeting friends of those friends.

Dallas Sport and Social was a branch of Chicago Sport and Social Club (where it all started) and has gone through a couple of reincarnations since the 90s. Big D Sports also runs good leagues...kind of biased toward this one since a few of my friends started this organization a few years ago but they are friends who I met through Dallas Sport and Social. Can't go wrong with either set of leagues.

And, yeah, you're probably going to need to venture out of Lewisville. Nothing wrong with that city, just not a concentration of twenty somethings to hang out with.
Thanks for this suggestion. My work place doesn't have a lot of young people working in it, mainly just elder folks. I thought about taking up a second part time job at some retail place just to meet new people.

Meetup.com sounds enticing but I don't want to come off as a weird person though using a website to meet new people? I've never tried something like that before. Has anyone else tried this website or have met anyone off of it?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,207,843 times
Quote:
Cat house? What is this 1953? lol

Old 09-17-2010, 09:51 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,448,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas214 View Post
Meetup.com sounds enticing but I don't want to come off as a weird person though using a website to meet new people? I've never tried something like that before. Has anyone else tried this website or have met anyone off of it?
It might sound kinda weird, but a friend of mine recently started going to the vegan meetups and has met some great people. My friend knows a ton of people (she's a media person), but she was looking forward to hanging out with a specific group of people and this worked out fantastic for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas