Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 AM

21 posts, read 37,274 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old male that has moved from Chicago to Dallas. It seems like it's so hard to meet people to go out with. Everyone seems to already have their own groups or moved here with other people. Where are some good places I could go to meet others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:06 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,416 times
Welcome to Dallas. I see that you are living in Lewisville. That is a family oriented suburban community and I'm not surprised that you aren't meeting people there. While there are many ways to meet people (volunteering, the gym, sports, arts, etc.....), I will mention the one that I am most familiar with: BARS. Explore Dallas' inner city 'hoods, particularly Uptown, West Village, Oak Lawn, Knox-Henderson and Lower Greenville. They all have tons of bars and restaurants where you can meet people your age. Go walking/jogging/roller-blading on the Katy Trail Friends of Katy Trail: or do the same around Whiterock Lake www.whiterocklake.org. Go down to Oak Lawn this Sunday and check out the Dallas Gay Pride Parade Dallas Tavern Guild :: Welcome. There will be many thousands of people there (gay/straight/TBD) and it's a lot of fun to watch.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Late Night is at the DMA tomorrow night. Sign up for one of the activities and meet others. Crow is also open late and has Mark Ridlin doing Karoake at 10pm (he's awesome!) - sampling of beers. Nasher will some events as well.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,461,741 times
you can meet people anywhere. When I moved here in 2006 I knew no one. I made friends with a couple girls and through those two girls I met lots of my best friends that I have now. You can meet people anywhere. I used to go out a lot when I first moved here. Met one of them at a mavericks game actually.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM

112 posts, read 314,581 times
Try searching Meetup.com. There is a group for pretty much any activity you're interested in. Find a few groups you like and show up for one of their meetups!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 PM

229 posts, read 606,781 times
If DaveG can make friends, anyone can!!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:59 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
If you are athletically inclined, join a "young professionals" kickball, soccer, softball, etc kind of team. Just google that + Dallas and you'll easily find leagues.

Do you cheer for a specific college or pro football team? Find out where the alumni club watches or where the fans watch if you are a Packers, Redskins, etc fan.

Church- if you are Christian, Prestonwood, Fellowship, Northwest Bible, Park Cities Presbyterian, Park Cities Baptist, Highland Park United Methodist, Church of the Incarnation (Episcopal), Watermark- all have fairly big singles/young professionals classes.

Volunteer! Habitat for Humanity, Big Brothers BIg Sisters, and Boys & Girls Club do great things for the community & are places that attract young volunteers. Some of my guy friends coach a kids softball team through Boys & Girls Club.

It's doubtful you'll meet many friends going to bars alone unless you are wildly outgoing & charismatic. It's easier ot make friends when you have things in common.

It would also help if you lived closer to the "young professionals" hub- Uptown Dallas and the surrounding 5 mile radius, and to a lesser extent Las Colinas.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,643 times
Meetup.com has worked well for students of mine who have moved to to metroplex - great variety in the groups and sometimes you have to 'sample' several of them to find your place.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,186 times
I've met some pretty darn good friends while attending the Franconia Brewery's Saturday tour. We're beer geeks though so we had something to talk about right outta the box. They're really my only "non work friends" since moving here. They have kids and my wife and I don't so it's harder to meet up and do adult type things.

Addison's Oktoberfest is this weekend. You could potentially meet people with similar interests there, depending on what your's are. There should be a lot of people like us (in our 20's) there.

What did you like to do in Chicago?

I'm lost with Pepper's post up there...

Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 PM

252 posts, read 724,114 times
I second meetup.com. There's plenty of young, single kids in Dallas with your same problem. Start venturing out of Lewisville for one thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas