U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM

17 posts, read 62,512 times

Advertisements

I posted something similar a few days ago but have more questions and didn't get that many responses. I am considering taking a job in Cleburne, Texas. We currently live in Carrollton and love it, but there is no way I am going to make an hour and 15 minute commute each way each day. My husband works in Mesquite, so after looking at the map it looks like Cedar Hill is a good middle location for us between Mesquite and Cleburne. Would this be a good location for us? What are Lancaster, De Soto, Red Oak, and Glenn Heights like compared to Cedar Hill? Is the traffic pretty bad on I35? If we live an any of those cities it looks like we would have to commute to Mesquite and Cleburne via 35. My hubby would have to take I35 to 20 to get to Mesquite. If we live in Cedar Hill it looks like we could both take 67 to get to work. I could take it all the way and he could take it to 20. What is the traffic like on 67?

We are white middle class with two young children- on in school and the other one will be in daycare. We are looking for something similar to Carrollton as far as schools, community, demographic, etc. I don't want to move too far out as we like being close to shops, restaraunts, etc. Any other suggestions for a good location for us? I don't mind if there is a mixed racial demographic but don't want to be the minority either.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,880,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgirlmommy View Post
I posted something similar a few days ago but have more questions and didn't get that many responses. I am considering taking a job in Cleburne, Texas. We currently live in Carrollton and love it, but there is no way I am going to make an hour and 15 minute commute each way each day. My husband works in Mesquite, so after looking at the map it looks like Cedar Hill is a good middle location for us between Mesquite and Cleburne. Would this be a good location for us? What are Lancaster, De Soto, Red Oak, and Glenn Heights like compared to Cedar Hill? Is the traffic pretty bad on I35? If we live an any of those cities it looks like we would have to commute to Mesquite and Cleburne via 35. My hubby would have to take I35 to 20 to get to Mesquite. If we live in Cedar Hill it looks like we could both take 67 to get to work. I could take it all the way and he could take it to 20. What is the traffic like on 67?

We are white middle class with two young children- on in school and the other one will be in daycare. We are looking for something similar to Carrollton as far as schools, community, demographic, etc. I don't want to move too far out as we like being close to shops, restaraunts, etc. Any other suggestions for a good location for us? I don't mind if there is a mixed racial demographic but don't want to be the minority either.
Here's a little background information on each of the communities you asked about:

DeSoto (population: 49,600) is the largest suburb south of Dallas. I lived there 16 years before moving to Lancaster nearly four years ago. Housing choices ranging from apartments and starter homes to high-end, estate-type homes on the northwest side of the city. A home in your price range will not be difficult to find in DeSoto. Most of the new home construction over the past decade has taken place on the west side of the city (areas west of Hampton Road). In the areas east of Hampton Road, there is a greater mix of mature neighborhoods and new construction. The full racial demographic breakdown for DeSoto, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2006-2008 American Community Survey is 59.5% African American, 30.7% White, 1.1% Asian, 0.3% American Indian and Alaska Native, 5.4% Some other race, 2.9% Two or more races, and 9.6% Hispanic or Latino (who can be of any race). DeSoto's residents are mostly middle class, although there are several areas that are more upscale or upper middle class as well, similar to neighboring Cedar Hill. The DeSoto Independent School District has a total of seven elementary schools. All but one carry an "Exemplary" or "Recognized" rating this year. My younger brother, who graduated high school last spring, attended Ruby Young Elementary. In my opinion, it is the best elementary school in the district and has a great reputation for strong academic performance. Northside Elementary, which I attended years ago, is also a good campus.

Lancaster (population: 36,600) is situated east of DeSoto and southeast of the I-35/I-20 interchange. I moved here in 2006 and it is a nice place to live. After modest population growth in the 1990s, the city began to grow rapidly after 2000. Like Cedar Hill, Lancaster is one of the fastest growing communities in Dallas County. Home prices are quite affordable and that is one of the main reasons why a lot of people, myself included, chose to move here. Newly built subdivisions can be found throughout the city, along with older, well-kept neighborhoods. Despite all of the recent growth taking place across Lancaster, a sizable portion of the land within the city limits remains undeveloped, with some areas (especially on the southern side of town) appearing more rural than urban/suburban in appearance. Lancaster's residents are mostly middle class. The full racial demographic breakdown for Lancaster, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2006-2008 American Community Survey is 67.4% African American, 23.6% White, 0.2% Asian, 1.4% American Indian and Alaska Native, 7.1% Some other race, 0.3% Two or more races, and roughly 14% Hispanic or Latino (who can be of any race). There are seven elementary schools in the Lancaster Independent School District. Two campuses - Rosa Parks-Millbrook and Lancaster Elementary - are rated "Exemplary", while the remaining five are "Academically Acceptable." Of those five, two missed the "Recognized" rating by a single subgroup and another by only two. Most of Lancaster's retail development has been concentrated along the I-35 corridor, which forms the city's western boundary.

Glenn Heights (population: 12,250) is located south of DeSoto and is situated on the Dallas/Ellis County line. It is a primarily residential community with a small-town feel. The houses in Glenn Heights are quite affordable. I looked at a few properties there when I was house-hunting in late 2006. There aren't that many businesses in the city, so you would have to regularly travel to nearby communities for groceries and other items. It is demographically diverse. The Dallas County portion of Glenn Heights is part of the DeSoto Independent School District. Two elementary schools, Frank D. Moates (in Glenn Heights) and Woodridge, serve students living in the city. The Ellis County portion of Glenn Heights is part of the Red Oak Independent School District. Donald T. Shields Elementary serves this part of the city. All of three elementary schools that serve Glenn Heights are currently rated either "Recognized" or "Exemplary."

Red Oak (population: 10,100) It is currently undergoing a transition from small town to a city that is more suburban in character. Its still mostly residential, so for a variety of shopping/restaurants, you would have to travel south to Waxahachie or the larger cities further north. All four elementary schools in the Red Oak Independent School District are rated "Exemplary" or "Recognized."

Waxahachie (population: 31,000) might be an option as well. It is a fast growing community that has experienced a lot of retail/restaurant development in recent years and provides an almost equal commute time for you and your husband (listed below). The full racial demographic breakdown for Waxahachie, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2006-2008 American Community Survey is 73.4% White, 12.0% African American, 1.5% Asian, 0.4% American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.2% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, 11.2% Some other race, 1.2% Two or more races, and 25.3% Hispanic or Latino (who can be of any race). Each elementary school in the Waxahachie Independent School District is currently rated "Exemplary" or "Recognized."

Although all of the cities mentioned above have their positives, I personally believe that Cedar Hill is the best overall match for you based on your stated criteria.

To give you a better idea of potential commute times, I did a basic google maps search with the communities you mentioned. Here's how the numbers came out in relation to Cleburne and Mesquite:

Cedar Hill to Cleburne..... 33.7 miles, 41 minutes || Cedar Hill to Mesquite..... 28.7 miles, 32 minutes
DeSoto to Cleburne......... 39.4 miles, 51 minutes || DeSoto to Mesquite......... 24.6 miles, 31 minutes
Glenn Heights to Cleburne.. 39.4 miles, 55 minutes || Glenn Heights to Mesquite.. 27.2 miles, 33 minutes
Lancaster to Cleburne...... 49.7 miles, 60 minutes || Lancaster to Mesquite...... 20.5 miles, 26 minutes
Red Oak to Cleburne........ 44.2 miles, 57 minutes || Red Oak to Mesquite........ 28.3 miles, 32 minutes
Waxahachie to Cleburne..... 39.1 miles, 49 minutes || Waxahachie to Mesquite..... 37.7 miles, 41 minutes

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:59 PM

Thank you so much! That is very helpful. Do you have the information for Cedar Hill like you have listed for the other cities as well? I think it would be a better option for us. I have looked at houses online and the prices seem to be very reasonable. I've noticed there are some exemplary schools there as well. My daughter is currently in a charter school. Do you know if there are any good Charter schools there?

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2010, 03:04 PM

207 posts, read 485,078 times
we just moved from waxahaxhie to NE dallas and if those are your choices, i would probably stick to cedar hill or possibly glenn heights/red oak (so close to each other.) the traffic on 35 is not that bad. not sure about 67, but going to cleburne i am sure it wouldn't be bad. what about midlothian?? good schools and you wouldn't be the minority.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much! That is very helpful. Do you have the information for Cedar Hill like you have listed for the other cities as well? I think it would be a better option for us. I have looked at houses online and the prices seem to be very reasonable. I've noticed there are some exemplary schools there as well. My daughter is currently in a charter school. Do you know if there are any good Charter schools there?

Thanks!
Hi. I used this post on Cedar Hill as the basis for the information I provided on the other communities. I didn't want to sound redundant, so I left it off of this morning's post. Looking back at it though, I didn't really go into detail about the individual schools the way I did today. Cedar Hill ISD has six elementary schools. Bray Elementary and Waterford Oaks Elementary are "Exemplary" schools. Plummer, Highlands, and High Pointe elementaries are "Recognized." Lakeridge Elementary received an "Academially Acceptable" rating this year, but has a record of being one of the more higher performing campuses in the district in past years. It is located in southwest Cedar Hill, which is a very nice portion of the city.

There are several charter schools in the suburbs of southwest Dallas County and northern Ellis County. Life School operates three campuses in the area: Red Oak (grades K-7), Lancaster (grades K-6), and Cedar Hill (grades K-3). Life School Red Oak is the most established of these campuses and carries a "Recognized" rating. Life School Lancaster opened a few years ago and is currently rated "Academically Acceptable." Life School Cedar Hill is a new campus that opened in August.

Golden Rule Charter Schools has a campus in DeSoto that serves Kindergarten students. The Accelerated Intermediate Academy (AIA) opened a new elementary campus in Lancaster this year. Lancaster also has Vista Academy, a small charter school serving grades K-3. It is currently rated "Recognized." Finally, there is the Gateway Academy Charter School. It is located just north of the Lancaster city limits in far southern Dallas. That school is rated "Recognized." I've included links to all of the aforementioned charter campuses since I'm generally unfamiliar with them.

I hope this helps!

Old 09-17-2010, 05:22 PM

207 posts, read 485,078 times
Red Oak Life School is a great reccommendation Acntx!! Every friend I have in Waxahachie sends their children there! Can be very hard to get into so if u are serious I would reccommend getting the paperwork filled out and turned in ASAP!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 PM

Default Mansfield

I would also like to consider Mansfield. Anyone have info. on Mansfield? I know that the schools are supposed to be good but what about the neighborhoods and demographics compared to Cedar Hill? I think I have narrowed it down to these two cities.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:08 AM

4,200 posts, read 14,636,259 times
Mansfield has a lot of nice neighborhoods. The commute for you would be pretty easy, you wouldn't even have to get on I20 but your husband's would be about +/-30 minutes and not when it's super heavy.

Most schools are very good. The district is rated Recognized. The tax rate is a bit high at 2.78.

Naima

Old 10-12-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I would also like to consider Mansfield. Anyone have info. on Mansfield? I know that the schools are supposed to be good but what about the neighborhoods and demographics compared to Cedar Hill? I think I have narrowed it down to these two cities.
Mansfield has doubled in size since 2000 and now has an estimated population of 56,900. The full racial demographic breakdown for Mansfield, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2006-2008 American Community Survey is 76.5% White, 12.7% African American, 3.9% Asian, 0.2% American Indian and Alaska Native, 0.1% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, 4.3% Some other race, 2.3% Two or more races, and 14.7% Hispanic or Latino (who can be of any race).

The Mansfield Independent School District serves Mansfield as well as sizable portions of southern Arlington and Grand Prairie. As of 2009, the student ethnic distribution was 45.5% White, 27.3% African American, 20.6% Hispanic, 6.1% Asian, and 0.5% Other. There are a total of 21 elementary schools in the Mansfield Independent School District. 10 are rated "Exemplary," 9 are "Recognized," and 2 are "Academically Acceptable."

--------
For comparison purposes, here's part of my post from one of your earlier threads with background information on Cedar Hill:

Cedar Hill is a diverse city of approximately 46,300 residents. Since 2000, the city's population has increased by 44 percent, making it one of the fastest growing communities in Dallas County. In terms of safety and income, it is quite similar to Carrollton. No racial group in Cedar Hill forms a majority of the population. The full racial demographic breakdown for Cedar Hill, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2006-2008 American Community Survey is 46.7% African American, 39.6% White, 2.7% Asian, 0.1% American Indian and Alaska Native, 8.8% Some other race, 2.1% Two or more races, and 16.9% Hispanic or Latino (who can be of any race). Cedar Hill's residents are mostly middle class, although there are several areas that are more upscale or upper middle class as well.

For your stated price range of around $130k, you can find a nice home in a well-kept neighborhood there. The city also has an ample amount of retail businesses and restaurants. It also sits on the eastern shore of Joe Pool Lake, which is a popular recreation area. Regarding schools, five of the six elementary schools in the Cedar Hill Independent School District are rated either "Recognized" or "Exemplary." The remaining elementary campus (Lakeridge) that received an "Academically Acceptable" rating this year had consistently received "Recognized" or "Exemplary" ratings since 2005.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 AM

64 posts, read 117,998 times
You've got lots of good info already, but I'll throw in what I know. We've lived in the Glenn Heights area for about 5 years now. We're a young family with 2 small kids. There are quite a few African American families here, and I feel pretty safe, although I believe that the city could do a lot to improve the conditions by the roads, etc.
I go to Cedar Hill for shopping at least once a week, and they have a wonderful outdoor mall with fountains for the kids to play in. I highly recommend it as long as you check out the neighborhoods first.
Desoto has done a lot lately to improve the city but even there you're looking at heading to Cedar Hill for shopping except for groceries.
Lancaster is a great little town with a small town feel but for shopping (again, except for groceries) you're looking at heading to Waxahachie probably.
Red Oak is a great community that has a small town feel and its been doing a lot as far as growth with their schools and such. I go there frequently for groceries.
My parents live near Mansfield and it seems to be a really nice town. Lots of great parks for kids!
I'd also suggest Midlothian. Our church is there, and I absolutely love the town. It has a small town feel, but is growing a ton! From what I remember, their schools are one of the best in the state, although my info on that could be dated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas