Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 01:57 PM

22 posts, read 88,143 times

Advertisements

I am considering Villages of Prairie Commons community being build in Plano right off of SH 121. These houses feed into Frisco ISD. These are 40' lots and houses are built by Mattamy Homes & Megatel Homes. Square feet is around 3000 and price is about $650k. Although location is good with easy access to SH 121, DNT and all retail shopping, I am confused if the price is really justified for the 40' lot homes and are the builders good? I saw reviews about builders and it seems mixed. With recent demand for Frisco/Prosper/Celina ISD, I visited few new communities in these cities and every community I saw is mostly been purchased by people from India. Even though I'm from India, I am bit apprehensive that my kid who is to start school from next year, may not get to experience the diversity much and be in a position to appreciate different cultures, their habits and beliefs. I could be overthinking too. I would like to hear from the forum here if anyone has better info about the Prairie Commons community, the builders and the diversity we get to see in this location? Finally, is the price good even if we consider current inflated prices to plateau.

Last edited by warriork; 11-01-2021 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 02:19 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I would not buy a Megatel home and 40' lot for a 3000 ft home is way to small for me.

But it might work for someone.

Old 11-01-2021, 03:11 PM

625 posts, read 667,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriork View Post
I am considering Villages of Prairie Commons community being build in Plano right off of SH 121. These houses feed into Frisco ISD. These are 40' lots and houses are built by Mattamy Homes & Megatel Homes. Square feet is around 3000 and price is about $650k. Although location is good with easy access to SH 121, DNT and all retail shopping, I am confused if the price is really justified for the 40' lot homes and are the builders good? I saw reviews about builders and it seems mixed. With recent demand for Frisco/Prosper/Celina ISD, I visited few new communities in these cities and every community I saw is mostly been purchased by people from India. Even though I'm from India, I am bit apprehensive that my kid who is to start school from next year, may not get to experience the diversity much and be in a position to appreciate different cultures, their habits and beliefs. I could be overthinking too. I would like to hear from the forum here if anyone has better info about the Prairie Commons community, the builders and the diversity we get to see in this location? Finally, is the price good even if we consider current inflated prices to plateau.

Many of the new build communities are dominated by Indian families who are often very attracted to brand new homes (particularly first generation). There are some Frisco neighborhoods and schools that are majority, non-majority.

One of my best friends is Indian and moved out of her neighborhood precisely because she was looking for more diversity. Just keep this in mind as you look at neighborhoods and factor that into the equation depending upon your preferences.

Old 11-01-2021, 09:00 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,086,492 times
That place is right off a big, busy highway. Like most new developments these days, it's very poorly suited for single family residential. This one is too close to 121 for comfort. If you're needing to be in Frisco or Plano, your best bet is an existing house. I can say that nearby McKinney will likely not be dominated by people from India and may offer more of what you are looking for.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would not buy a Megatel home and 40' lot for a 3000 ft home is way to small for me.

But it might work for someone.

Thank you for the response. How good are Mattamy homes in general? I read they are big builder in Canada, not sure how good they are doing in US. Any thoughts?

Old 11-02-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Many of the new build communities are dominated by Indian families who are often very attracted to brand new homes (particularly first generation). There are some Frisco neighborhoods and schools that are majority, non-majority.

One of my best friends is Indian and moved out of her neighborhood precisely because she was looking for more diversity. Just keep this in mind as you look at neighborhoods and factor that into the equation depending upon your preferences.

Thank you for the response!

Old 11-02-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
That place is right off a big, busy highway. Like most new developments these days, it's very poorly suited for single family residential. This one is too close to 121 for comfort. If you're needing to be in Frisco or Plano, your best bet is an existing house. I can say that nearby McKinney will likely not be dominated by people from India and may offer more of what you are looking for.

Thank you! I heard that homes in DFW area generally tend to have foundation issues within few years of construction due to nature of the soil. Any insights into this? How extra burden is it going to be in terms of maintenance of existing home vs new home?

Old 11-02-2021, 08:38 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,086,492 times
Quote:
Thank you! I heard that homes in DFW area generally tend to have foundation issues within few years of construction due to nature of the soil. Any insights into this? How extra burden is it going to be in terms of maintenance of existing home vs new home?
With an existing home, it's likely foundation issues would have already been a non-issue or taken care of. However, a structural engineer can tell you how sound it is, and that's something you have to watch out for on new construction as well. Just being new doesn't really take away that risk or any risk really. Beyond that, that's only a matter of what updates the home had and when. A new home will eventually need work too. As long as it's been well maintained and updated, you likely aren't going to have a lot more maintenance over the long term.

I have heard negative things about Megatel myself, and that was coming from two different real estate agents. With a bad builder, you may be better off in terms of maintenance buying an existing home.

If you really hate maintenance though, your best bet may just be to rent. You could also buy a townhouse or condo and at least have fewer concerns about major foundation issues.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:04 AM

198 posts, read 186,764 times
Some areas are prone to more foundation issues than others.
Areas that are on the 'Austin Chalk' geological feature are more stable i.e. less prone to movement.

U can see which areas are on Austin Chalk here : https://txpub.usgs.gov/txgeology/ (Its the dark green areas)

No guarantees of course, but selecting an area in dark green may help.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:04 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Not all homes in DFW have foundation issues. I've heard the statistic was closer to 20%. A good preventative watering schedule definitely helps, although it is not a guarantee. New homes often have MORE maintenance issues than older homes. It's getting the "kinks" worked out such as things that were not installed properly, or overlooked, during construction.
For example, the house my husband and I sold earlier this year was built in 1989, and the foundation was rock solid and had never been repaired. We had a semi-annual maintenance contract for the HVAC, and quarterly pest control/termite treatments. Other than that, there were just the occasional plumber or other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: