Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 PM

21 posts, read 39,990 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm new to this forum. My wife and I will be moving to McKinney in the next 1-2 months. I am currently interviewing and looking into jobs. As of now, my best options are in Plano, Wylie, and North Dallas. My questions are:

1. What would be the best commute from McKinney to Plano (job location would be around Coit and W 15th Street region)?

2. What would be the best commute from McKinney to Wylie?

3. Just off of the commute, what would you say is the best location?

I am from a smaller town northeast of the DFW area, and I am familiar with the roads around the North Dallas area. I have rarely been traveling in the DFW area during rush hour times. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 03:26 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,409 times
Mckinney is geographically a pretty big area, so it really depends where in Mckinney you are. I am near Custer and Eldorado, and would take me about 20-30 minutes to get to Coit & 15th depending on traffic. But further north or east, and you will have to add more time onto that.

Same idea with Wylie, but flip it...the further WEST you live, the longer it would take. I can get to my mom's house (which is pretty much in Murphy) in 30 minutes, but that is without rush hour traffic. During that time I would say it would take at least 45 min from my house. However I am pretty far west, so if you were on the east side (or JUST east of 75) it would be notably quicker...you could take Country Club Rd down instead of 75 to save yourself highway headache.

Do you know where in Mckinney you will be?

Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 PM

We are still looking at homes. We are fairly certain we will be in the area around Eldorado and Lake Forest though. Custer is our limit as far as looking west.

I figured the commute to Coit and 15th would be about that long, just wanted to hear it from someone who knows better. I did stay in McKinney for about 2 months while on a rotation and had to drive from Lake Forest and Virginia to Dallas North Tollway and Parker. That drive seemed to take about 45 min each way. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:55 PM

Does anyone know of a good source online that shows where school zones are in the Plano area? I forgot how many I ran into in the past and that may factor into my decision. Thank you again in advance.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 PM

225 posts, read 518,925 times
Here you go: Plano School District boundaries

Ryan

Old 09-27-2010, 04:30 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,409 times
I think he meant the 20 mph school zones you drive though...not school 'attendance' zones

I'm not sure about a website that shows those zones...but you could probably guesstimate based on where the schools are located. If you let me know what streets you think you'd take, I can look out for where the school zones are located as I drive around and report back to you. I drive to Plano to pick up my son from school everyday, and over near Wylie (to see my parents) at least once a week, so it's no prob

Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm looking for the best north/south route from 121 to G. Bush through Plano with the least number of school zones. The best route would be Coit since the place I may work will be just off of that road. I could also take Independence, Alma, or Custer. I wouldn't mind taking the Tollway if needed to avoid those zones, but I figured the Tollway is bad between 121 and G. Bush during rush hours.

Speaking of the Tollway, I did have an offer closer to downtown Dallas. What is a realistic time it would take to get from 121 and the Tollway to around the Mockingbird exit? Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 AM

225 posts, read 518,925 times
Haha-my mistake!

Plano has quite a few school zones that are hard to completely miss in the mornings. There is one on Custer and one on Independence in between 15th St. and Plano Pkwy. They are not too long though and you can get through them pretty easily.

Mockingbird is going to take at least 45 minutes in traffic in the mornings from that area if you're talking about the Mockingbird exit off the tollway and not off of 75.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:04 PM

OK, got another question for all you Dallas area veterans. I got another opportunity that may be the best one yet. It would require me to travel from McKinney to Garland each day. I know 75 is horrible for rush hour traffic, but that would be the best route. My schedule would start at 7 AM each morning and end at different times each day depending on what I work out with my coworkers. My question is what would traffic be like on 75 between 6 and 7 in the morning? Would it be doable to make that commute considering I will be off of 75 by at least 6:45 AM each morning?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:01 PM

108 posts, read 286,948 times
My Mother-in-Law lives in Garland. When we go on a Saturday afternoon from McKinney it takes us about 30mins. Sat. afternoon is about the same as M-F 6am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas