Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:28 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,300 times

Advertisements

Hello, we just moved to the Flower Mound Texas from Tulsa Oklahoma. Before moving I took my 16-year old son to the dermatologist for acne and the Dr. perscribed Acutane as the treatment plan. (My son has not taken the medication yet).

After researching on the drug I have descided that I do not want to put my son in danger for there are many bad side effects. Does anyone recommend a dermatologist or some other options for acne that are safer and effective. We have Aetna dental insurance. Any help, experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thankyou so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 PM

60 posts, read 270,820 times
Every medication that actually works will have as many side effects as Accutane...

Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 PM

207 posts, read 506,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoan View Post
Every medication that actually works will have as many side effects as Accutane...
Agree. I took accutane and it saved my face! Would do it all over again if i had too.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,546 times
A study came out last week that said teen acne also leads to suicide. Which is one of the scariest claims against accutane. Your liver can also become damaged because that is how/where the drug is processed. Your son will have to be monitored through a series of monthly blood testing. We have had 3 people in our family use Accutane, all with positive outcomes. They only use a generic at this time, Accutane is no longer on the market. If you google any medicine or ailment most everything is scary as H***! Really consider the pros and cons of this medicine, and weigh the benefits to your son. Clearly he is suffering with an extreme case of acne if this is the treatment your Doctor recommended. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:01 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
Robert Terrill, MD Dermatologist in Plano, TX 75075
This is who I use for a dermatologist, and I highly recommend him. Very knowledgeable. He is older and therefore, I suspect he may be a little bit "old school." Don't know if he does or does not prescribe accutane. However, probably you could discuss with ANY dr including the one you used and tell him you prefer your son not be treated with accutane. There are other options although they may not be as effective. I would think they would be willing to accomodate you on this.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Agreed; many dermatologists will try a lot of different approaches before using accutane. For a lot of derms it's the drug of last resort.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
I seriously doubt any dermatologist who is worth their salt would dare prescribe Accutane/generics anymore. I would try using a local/DFW dermatologist and I bet you will have different results.

Accutane itself has been off the market since 2009, but the drug is still being sold in several generic varieties. Roche (mfgr) swears it was because the generics were outselling it, but general school of thought is that the lawsuit settlements are bleeding Roche dry. Accutane is linked to causing Ulcerative Colitis/Crohn's, increased suicide, and to permanently increased triglyceride levels in the blood. I personally took Accutane in 2001, and yes, it cleared up my bad acne. I am also now joining a class action lawsuit against Roche because I have 2 out of the 3 conditions...had I known then about these awful side effects, I would NEVER have taken the drug. :-(

Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I seriously doubt any dermatologist who is worth their salt would dare prescribe Accutane/generics anymore. I would try using a local/DFW dermatologist and I bet you will have different results.

Accutane itself has been off the market since 2009, but the drug is still being sold in several generic varieties. Roche (mfgr) swears it was because the generics were outselling it, but general school of thought is that the lawsuit settlements are bleeding Roche dry. Accutane is linked to causing Ulcerative Colitis/Crohn's, increased suicide, and to permanently increased triglyceride levels in the blood. I personally took Accutane in 2001, and yes, it cleared up my bad acne. I am also now joining a class action lawsuit against Roche because I have 2 out of the 3 conditions...had I known then about these awful side effects, I would NEVER have taken the drug. :-(
My ex-husband took Accutane as a teenager and has ulcerative colitis and also no longer has any sense of smell. He also has severe hay fever that he claims was caused by the drugs.

Intestinal problems and bowel cancer run in his family but it is a compelling correlation. A dermatologist once suggested that I get on Accutane and I turned her down flat. We tried other methods and eventually found something that worked.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,589 times
Acne can pop up as hormones become unbalanced - acupuncture along with Traditional Chinese Medicine can be a big help.

Also food related allergies can show up as acne - wheat and dairy are big ones.

Another consideration is overgrowth of yeast in his system - Candida (yes, males get it too!); it can cause terrible acne.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 PM

63 posts, read 267,596 times
Not totally related to Accutane, just wanted to share some info on acne meds, don't shoot me
All the women in my family, myself included, have suffered from pretty bad acne for years.
The one thing that ended up finally working well for all except myself was minocycline.
Within a month, my siblings and cousins' skin cleared up noticeably and they have been acne free for 3 years now. It was amazing, they went from severely inflamated bumpy skin to nearly perfect skin.
Minocycline didn't work for me; it did clear up my skin very quickly, but it caused some urinary tract side effects so I discontinued use immediately to avoid long term damage.
Your doctor can tell you if it's right for you, I just kind of used my sister's meds which was pretty stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: