Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times

Advertisements

That area, like many parts of Paris, has some issues with property crime (mainly crimes of opportunity) but as in Paris the odds of being assaulted are pretty darn low.

I wouldn't worry too much; just exercise common sense and don't leave any valuables in your car if you park it on the street or on a driveway. This includes your car's insurance papers (carry those in your purse or wallet) or anything else that can be used to identify you. Also if you have a garage door opener, do not leave that in your car. Goes without saying that any sat nav or bluetooth systems that aren't completely integrated into the car's console should also be removed. Lock your doors and windows, make sure you have good homeowner's/renter's insurance, and relax.

It's a great neighborhood with a lot of charm and character. Just exercise common sense and you'll be fine!

The area where I live had some issues with break-ins and thefts from cars last year but that has dropped off as people have taken police advice and the neighborhood watch has stepped up its activities. I never leave anything valuable in the car. I lock all doors and windows whether I'm home or not, I have an alarm system, and I also have 2 loaded firearms in the house. I'm sure I'll never have to use them in anger, but I sleep better at night knowing they're there. Nighttime residential robberies are exceedingly rare in this neighborhood; most of the time they hit your house when they think you're not there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
I always park in the driveway up next to the garage - it's occupied by my classic car collection - and never had a break-in. They do happen on the streets, according to our crime watch. But I'm not aware of anything happening on my block or the one to the east or west. I have had three car break-ins in my life and they were all in the SMU/University Park area.

I put this on another post but in case you didn't see it:

See:

Best Place for Families | Best Old House Neighborhoods 2010 | Photos | Home & Real Estate | This Old House

This Old House names Junius Heights best old neighborhood for families | EAST DALLAS Blog | dallasnews.com

Junius Heights Neighborhood

City of Dallas, Texas - Landmark Districts

Junius Heights, Dallas, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2010, 02:33 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,779 times
Below is the only arrest report my East Dallas neighborhood has had all year:
A/P = arrested person
COMP = Complainant

THE COMP STATED HE LOOKED OUT OF HIS WINDOW FROM INSIDE HIS HOUSE TO SEE THE A/P SITTING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT OF THE COMP'S VEHICLE WITH THE DOOR CLOSED AND OBSERVED THE A/P GOING THROUGH THE CONSOLE OF THE COMP'S VEHICLE. THE COMP WENT OUT TO CONFRONT THE A/P AND THE A/P GOT OUT OF THE COMP'S VEHICLE AND RAN SOUTHBOUND ON FISHER. THE COMP RAN AFTER THE A/P. WITNESS #1 AND WITNESS #2 OBSERVED THE A/P RUNNING AND THEN OBSERVED THE COMP RUNNING AFTER HIM AND YELLING "HE JUST STOLE SOMETHING FROM MY CAR". THE WITNESSES GOT IN THEIR VEHICLES AND DROVE AFTER THE A/P THE WITNESSES CAUGHT UP WITH THE A/P AT 4400 ROCKAWAY WHERE THEY HELD THE A/P UNTIL A/OS ARRIVED. THE A/P HAD THE LISTED PROPERTY THAT WAS STOLEN OUT OF THE COMP'S VEHICLE IN HIS LEFT FRONT JEANS POCKET. THE A/P WAS SEVERELY INTOXICATED. THE A/P WAS TRANSPORTED TO LEW STERRETT. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT DAMAGED BECAUSE THE COMP'S VEHICLE WAS UNLOCKED. NO ONE WAS INJURED IN THE COURSE OF THE OFFENSE.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,498 times
We jog during the daytime with no problems, other than the occasional menacing pit bull and homicidal SUV driver on Abrams.

Still, I find many of our neighbors (Junius @ Glendale) to be deeply unpleasant - just at the moment, loud bass is vibrating from down the block all the way through our poorly insulated building. I've never seen old buildings as poorly built as those here - I think in the north, they need to be solid just to get through the winter.

When we moved in to our rental, all the windows were nailed shut. Why would anyone nail windows shut? I wondered. I'd lived in big cities, but never in a place where you couldn't open the windows. I guess if you don't want to spring for an alarm system, you need some way to feel safe at home. Most of our neighbors accomplish this goal by having dogs that bark all day.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that in Dallas crime is less segregated by neighborhood, than in some other big cities. You can stay in certain parts of Brooklyn or East Hollywood, L.A., that look scruffy, but never hear a word about robbery and home invasion. Here, by contrast, outside of the very rich areas, there seems to be no respite from the fear of violent crime.

In Junius Heights:

10/21/10 "Woman Sexually Assaulted in East Dallas Home Invasion" [Reiger Avenue]
Woman Sexually Assaulted in East Dallas Home Invasion | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

8/27/10 "Man sought in Junius Heights armed robberies"
Man sought in Junius Heights armed robberies | EAST DALLAS Blog | dallasnews.com
[5700 Victor, near Abrams]
Police: String of armed robberies reported in East Dallas area | CRIME Blog | dallasnews.com

Near Junius Heights:

7/26/10 "Weekend pit bull attacks in Dallas leave three injured" [6300 Monticello / M Streets]
Weekend pit bull attacks in Dallas leave three injured | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas News

Wherever you have to live in Dallas to get away from pit bulls, booming bass, and armed robberies, I'm afraid Junius Heights isn't it. Unfortunately, the aesthetic abyss that is the northern suburbs is probably safer than architecturally charming but ghetto-dweller-ridden East Dallas.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,107 times
Carry a gun and you'll be safe everywhere. We can carry guns in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas