Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:34 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times

Advertisements

Tough decision. If you want your dogs I would really suggest a house. Many apartments only allow small to medium dogs, and of the ones that allow large breeds they shy away from boxers, bull dogs, etc.

On the other hand renting an apartment would be less expensive.

Rental rates in uptown are pretty high, so you might want to rent elsewhere.

It's kinda tough since you probably won't be able to come check out the place you are renting ahead of time. My best advice would be to avoid northeast Dallas. The area east of 75, particularly Forest Lane, Walnut, Walnut Hill, etc is pretty run down and high crime. My ex lived in Lakewood and worked in Uptown, it was an east commute. Dallas has plenty of highways, so unless you live way out getting around is easy.

I'd look into Lakewood, and Lake Highlands. I'd say go no further out then Richardson, and maybe Plano. You'll want something close to either 190 or 75
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:14 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
I made the move from Miami (Sunny Isles area) to Dallas a couple of years back and I don't regret it. I don't think you'll be sorry either to make the jump from the 305 to the 214. I think you'll find the housing and insurance prices cheaper, the people friendlier, and the drivers not quite so rude. No ocean though and that's kind of a shame.

You may have trouble finding apartment in Uptown for $900 that's willing to take two dogs. There are tons of rentals in the area though so you might get lucky. But the suggestions that you look in Lakewood are right on. You might even be able to rent a small house with a small yard.

If you have any questions about making the transition from South Florida to North Texas, just ask or PM. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:28 AM

11 posts, read 23,655 times
Mary, True Dat...

Thanks very much for the replies...I will actually be going to Dallas sometime in the next 7-10 days to scope out some places, so at least I won't be going into it completely blind.

I have noticed that the uptown area is a bit more expensive than some of the other areas you guys mentioned. I need to figure out though, if it would be worth it since it is in such close proximity to my job. (Not sure of the public transport system there yet).

I am really starting to see the dogs as the main hurdle here, but the more I think of starting alone in a new place (this will be my 1st time doing so) the more I think I would feel better if I have them around.

TrueDat, I am happy to read of your positive change from the 305 to the 214. I agree that home and insurance prices, traffic and the overall attitude of the people here leave something to be desired. I hope I will be as happy with my move as you have been. I will call that # that you pmed me for that info, thanks again.

I will keep all of you kind folks updated on this journey. Today I am just concentrating on getting a list of potential places together, so that when I visit in 7-10 days, I can see as many homes/apts. as possible.

Again thanks to everyone for their help, and keep the suggestions coming. Believe it or not, what you guys have shared has really helped me feel a bit more at ease with this, although I am still really freaking out

Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 AM

Guys, on all the rental search sites, almost all the results have bwwn of apartments/condos. Are there any search sites that may have more home listings? Thanks in advance..

Old 07-03-2007, 09:38 AM

454 posts, read 1,339,239 times
Larry: did you get my PM?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
Larry: did you get my PM?
yes I did, and thank you. I left a message with my number. Hopefully that could help.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 AM

88 posts, read 366,927 times
Larry
A house at that price is going to be hard (see rentalhouses.com and search Dallas - it's there, but it is not great). Most people that I have seen moving on this site do the apartment/condo thing for a year anyway, just to get their feet wet and figure out the right neighborhood - I am sure you can get a dog friendly lease in a condo/apt in Uptown or near there for 900. It would be the wise move even if you didn't have the price ceiling. You will meet more people and you will be in a less isolating area.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew610 View Post
- I am sure you can get a dog friendly lease in a condo/apt in Uptown or near there for 900. It would be the wise move even if you didn't have the price ceiling. You will meet more people and you will be in a less isolating area.
I agree and that is what I am looking at right now. I see a bunch of buildings in the Uptown area that are as close to .25 miles to my job, but they are a bit pricey. What would be the next closest area that may be a tad lower?

Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 PM

10 posts, read 62,444 times
Don't think I've seen anyone suggest a place in the Village Apartments. You are much more likely to find a place for $900 there vs. uptown and it's only a couple of miles away. There is also a nice running trail/park area you could take your dogs to.

Uptown would be your choice if you could afford $1100 or so but if $900 is your max I would check the Village.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:52 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
Village Apts would be a great option. Lots of people - great property management - close to uptown (just an exit or two up Central Expressway/TX-75). Right near the Greenville/Lovers Lane area that has good grocery stores (Tom Thumb and Central Market at the corner). Tons of active people in that complex and lots of people with dogs, walking them around the ponds onsite. Great walking trails.

They also have quite a few meet-n-greet type events and lots of pools, so there are plenty of opportunities to meet people and get settled in with some new friends. They have apartments of all ranges - some even with garages on the higher end.

I believe their web site is TheVillageapts.com | Home and they have a decent search function.

Also, if you cycle or run - it's in great proximity to White Rock Lake, a place if you enjoy those things, you are certain to be intimately familiar with almost immediately. When I lived in the complex, I rode 2-3 laps around the lake 5 days a week. (it's ~3 miles to the lake and 9.5 miles around).

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas