Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnellprobst View Post
I've heard the west side of Plano is the "nicer" area. Any idea what constitutes the "west side"?
Plano is now divided into east, central and west. West is west of Coit Rd and high school students were tranferred several years ago to Plano West Senior High located east of Preston on Parker Rd from Plano Senior High on Park Blvd just east of Independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 AM

As former Preston/Park (Plano) homeowner, taxes are assessed by Collin County Appraisal District and are usually higher than market value. However each year, I would file a complaint (over the phone) and they would automatically reduce my tax bill. The good news re: Plano is that a few years ago, it reached "build out" which means tax rates are stablized as opposed to say, Frisco, Anna, Prosper, etc., that are going thru huge growth pains due to need for new schools, parks, roads, etc.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnellprobst View Post
We are considering a move to one of the following:

Plano, Hurst, H-E-B Trophy Club, The Colony, Grapevine, Allen, Irving... anywhere in the Northwest School District as well. The housing prices are great compared to San Diego county (where we live now, but rent a home) and Chicago, where we grew up, but we've heard the taxes are outrageous. We are looking at approximately a $180K-$200K home. Does anyone have any idea how much we can expect to pay in property tax? We had a friend of a friend who bought a 4,000 sf home (obviously much larger and surely more expensive than what we will be spending) and is paying $20,000 in property taxes per year. Ouch! That would definitely change the monthly mortgage payment each month.

Out of the areas mentioned above, are they relatively nice areas with good schools. If we move, my husband will be working from home, but I would need to get a job as well. I know H-E-B is pretty far out and Plano has a lot of traffic, and I know to stay away from east Plano... other than that... don't have a whole lot of info.

Thanks in advance!
you can actually find about a 2500 sq ft home under $200K in west Plano (zip 75093) if you stay east of Preston between Parker and Plano Pkwy. These are still west of Coit (the west dividing line) and include sub-divisions like Preston Ridge. The homes are built in late 70's thru mid-80's, mostly Fox and Jacob builders, but neighborhoods and home are well maintained (plenty of ordinances to assure that) especially nort of Park within these bounderies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas