Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,632,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastcity View Post
Dallas is too pretentious. No night life in Downtown Dallas at all. TO damn hot in the summer. DAllas is in the middle of no where. Hate the small and three lanes highways could be a little bigger. I hate how dallas build everything North of Downtown Dallas and leave out South Dallas and Oakcliff.Dislikes.
I think that is changing. The Bishop Arts district in North Oak Cliff is a real up and comer. That area has some of the fastest property rates in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,401,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I work on Legacy and 100% agree with you. Nifty's conclusion that Legacy gains strength from Stonebriar is completely backwards. There would be no homes, shops, malls, etc in that area if the Legacy business park hadn't been developed in the late 1980s.

I rarely go to Stonebriar or the mega strip centers that surround it. It can't be that major if the NTTA failed to build a connector ramp to 121/Stonebriar from the Tollroad....which they are now going back to do.

When I run errands or go out to lunch during the work day, I head to Shops @ Legacy or south into Plano's Willowbend/Park neighborhood.
Yeah, we go to lunch in that Park/Midway area in Plano and if you say, "I gotta run to the mall at lunch" co-workers assume you mean Willow Bend. We only go to the Shops at Legacy for Cafe Express due to the parking hassle. Going to Stonebriar mall or a nearby restaurant at lunch time is almost unheard of.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,050,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
it's a LOT OF DRIVING! Too give you an example: I bought a car with 35,000 miles in May 2009. By September 2009 it had over 50,000.
I am from Dallas and live in the close-in neighborhood of Lakewood in between downtown and White Rock Lake. I have averaged about 6,000 miles per year on my car over the last 15 years.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,780,925 times
If I could some up Dallas' success in one word it would be Logistics. I cant believe I agree with you Mr Nifty but you are correct in this regard. The more the sunbelt part of the US grows the more important DFW will become. Chicago's success is summed up by the same word. Both of these cities have benefited from their position on a national scope and have become the biggest hubs in transportation, shipping, etc. because of it. Chicago has dominated this for the most part in our nations history because their was no NAFTA and because the distribution of the US population was mostly consentrated in the north but that is changing day by day.

The more Miami, Houston, Phoenix, LA, San Diego, Austin grow the more DFW will benefit because the trade of goods, services and people from one city to the other must pass through our area.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM

912 posts, read 1,882,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I work in the Legacy Plano, but live in the city of Dallas. Most of the people I sit near have never been to Stonebriar or even know of its existence. I don't see the areas as related at all. When you come up north on the Tollway you don't even get to or see the mall or the adjacent retail before you take the Tennyson or Legacy exit.

Pizza Hut is building its new HQ there now, too.
That makes sense. I'm just talking about significance as Stonebriar has surpassed that of the designfation of a typical mall serving as the flagship for a lot of retail. It has captured the primary focus of that whole area to the degree that Legacy Plano should be considered lead-in development into it.
If things hold to pattern, figure another commercial shopping district will develop in about twenty years out where the North Dallas Tollway and the golden corridor of Preston Road meet up with 380.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:19 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,168,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I am from Dallas and live in the close-in neighborhood of Lakewood in between downtown and White Rock Lake. I have averaged about 6,000 miles per year on my car over the last 15 years.
I'm not quite that lucky but I have no idea where Etjaipluere is driving that he put 15,000 miles on his car in 4 months!!! That's basically 1,000 a week! Sounds like someone was hell-bent on living in one suburb while his job was 60 miles away!

I put about 15,000 a year on my car with a 44 mile r/t commute and the occasional trip to Austin.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:20 PM

912 posts, read 1,882,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I work on Legacy and 100% agree with you. Nifty's conclusion that Legacy gains strength from Stonebriar is completely backwards. There would be no homes, shops, malls, etc in that area if the Legacy business park hadn't been developed in the late 1980s.

I rarely go to Stonebriar or the mega strip centers that surround it. It can't be that major if the NTTA failed to build a connector ramp to 121/Stonebriar from the Tollroad....which they are now going back to do.

When I run errands or go out to lunch during the work day, I head to Shops @ Legacy or south into Plano's Willowbend/Park neighborhood.
Yes. You say that you go to the Shops at Legacy. That is shopping. See, I'm just rating the significance of the whole surrounding area.
1) Shopping, which the Shops at Legacy would be part of.
2) Office space
3) Entertainment District.

Out of all this, Stonebriar Center is the centerpiece. Therefore, the office parks and entertainment districts become lead-in to it.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,257,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure
it's a LOT OF DRIVING! Too give you an example: I bought a car with 35,000 miles in May 2009. By September 2009 it had over 50,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I average about 8,000 miles a year on my car by living in a close neighborhood to my work in downtown Dallas.

You only have to spend a long time in your car if you choose to live in the boonies.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Well TC I do take taxis when I go out partying! Since I got the iPhone with the the little places map on the Facebook application and I have seen others and been 'checking in' I can conclude that most everything I want to do is no farther than three miles from my house! Also I can walk easily to the Lakewood places.

I was showing a duplex I own last night off Henderson in Cochran Heights and it's quite astounding how many 'places' pop up around there - several pages. The last time I showed this property for lease I had people fighting over it and guess what - I have two ladies wanting it...now do I go with the one I really like or the more-qualified one? The qualified one has offered a two year lease and $50 more per month...a testament to the draw of the area, don't you think?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:46 PM

That guy would be driving roughly 45,000 miles per year - at very conservative IRS rate of 55 cents per mile to operate a car that's nearly 25 GRAND vs. $3300 for me. SO much cheaper to live close-in or to your job.

That 55 cents doesn't really include tolls - I found another site which says the true cost of operating a car is $1.35 per mile. So, let's see - that means you can afford to spend more to live close in or save a lot of money by spending the same budget for a home - throwing out that old idea that you drive until you qualify for the largest house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas