U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 PM

250 posts, read 501,575 times

Advertisements

I know the title "Ghetto looking homes in Plano, off Legacy", sounds strange. Most homes off Legacy Road in Plano are NICE - VERY NICE. So don't get me wrong. But...

Not too long ago I was driving down Legacy from the Tollway to US-75 after going to Ikea, just to see what was there ---- and wow, I ran into about the ugliest neighborhood I have seen in ALL of Dallas/Ft.Worth.

These homes would be more common in a rough neighborhood, say in South Fort Worth or Pleasant Grove in Dallas. A company called Impression Homes is making some homes like these starting in the $70's (yep, just over seventy thousand dollars) in Fort Worth in a neighborhood called Westpoint Village right now. And as you can imagine, its not in the best part of town. LOL

Imagine taking a long, single-wide mobile home trailer, double-stacking it and adding "brick siding" instead of "vinyl siding" ... and bam, you have these homes.

I could not imagine any "Plano-ites" ever thinking of living in a two-story trailer home.

After doing some research, this neighborhood goes by the name of "Village at Legacy" or "Legacy Villas", depending on where you look online. Its located at the corner of Dry Creek and Legacy. Go to Google Maps, search for "legacy and dry creek, plano, tx" and browse around to look at these ugly boxes for yourself. From the front they don't look tooooooo bad, but from the sides and especially the backs they look horrible!

Has anyone else seen this neighborhood???

I can't believe Plano allowed it to be built!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 PM

6,584 posts, read 23,662,430 times
I haven't seen the homes you are referring to, but Plano has all income levels including public housing projects.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 PM

1,283 posts, read 3,227,407 times
You have a weird definition of ghetto. Yes, I have seen those homes, and no, I don't particularly like them, but they are far from "ghetto". They are just basically patio homes on super small lots. They have practically no yards to speak of and are the epitomy of cookie cutter architecture. But looking at the pics of the for sale homes on the realty sites, the insides are actually quite nice.

Anyway, the neighborhood doesn't do a thing for me...but I find it hard to believe they are the "ugliest neighborhood" in ALL of DFW! Boring?..yes...Ugly?..maybe...But the ugliest? Definitely not. I can think of at least 5 other neighborhood in Plano alone that I would say are uglier, and that's not counting the ones that are in the "rougher" parts.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 PM

250 posts, read 501,575 times
They are "ghetto looking" - not "ghetto". A lot of low income housing involves putting teeny tiny houses on teeny tiny lots, with a lack of detail - and I mean TEENY TINY LOTS, not a normal 50-70' wide small tract home lot. And a lot of those homes are in the rougher parts of Dallas and Fort Worth. I know this, as I invest in real estate and have rentals in those rougher neighborhoods (and in the better neighborhoods too, LOL). I am amazed, no flabergasted, to how Plano could allow such ugly things to be built in such a nice city.

Last edited by dallas90210; 10-13-2010 at 08:59 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,154,361 times
I don't think that putting small houses on tiny lots would be a definition of 'ghetto.' If that was the case, there are many places in relatively expensive neighborhoods around Dallas with zero lot lines that could qualify for that. Some people prefer small houses on small lots. They like the convenience. No maintenance. Retirees... come to mind.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 PM

6,584 posts, read 23,662,430 times
I looked at a picture. I think I would call them Funny Looking.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 PM

1,519 posts, read 4,921,930 times
Meh. That is how most of Plano looks to us who live in civilization -- cookie cutter homes, small lots, no character. Don't get your panties in a wad. Welcome to Collin County -- where it's cheap!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 PM

12,449 posts, read 24,109,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Meh. That is how most of Plano looks to us who live in civilization -- cookie cutter homes, small lots, no character. Don't get your panties in a wad. Welcome to Collin County -- where it's cheap!
LOL! I can think of A LOT more ugly neighborhoods than that....try all the hideous 1970s homes across Grand Prairie, Mesquite, Garland and parts of Richardson?! Try the trailer park in Plano off of 75 or the one on Commerce St just west of downtown. Or most of Far East Dallas (Bucker/I-30 area north to Jupiter & 635). Or the really run down neighborhoods south and east of Fair Park. Of all of Balch Springs and Pleasant Grove. Or the ugly apartments by Bachman Lake. Or the "meth lab" neighborhoods full of tract homes and pedophiles in Princeton....

In the whole DFW region, those piddly little cookie-cutters are the "most hideous" thing you've ever seen?? Don't get out much, do ya??!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 PM

79 posts, read 165,097 times
I have seen the ghetto and 70k are not anything near ghetto, there are 3 homes under 70k in plano. I have been up and down legacy and there are a few homes from the 60's that are ugly but nothing that bad

I would say under 20k is ghetto. The ghetto is where if you do not lock your doors and have bars on your windows you will die.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 PM

12,449 posts, read 24,109,246 times
Also- you must have a very "West Plano-centric" understanding of Plano's demographics to say that you can't imagine Plano-philes living in these homes. You DO know that a significant portion of the population is on food stamps and living right at or under the poverty level? Collin Co -Plano inclusive- has had like a 200% increase in poverty in the past few years. The food banks are empty after every day. The shelters (yes, there ARE homeless shelters in Collin Co) are full every night and they are turning dozens of families and singles away every day.

Check out the demographics for Plano East HS. Lots of immigrants and refuges. Tons of cheap apartments and even a few trailer parks. The whole nearly 200,000 residents of Plano do not all resemble the elite few golfing at Glen Eagles or shopping at the Neiman's in Willowbend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas