Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:33 PM

85 posts, read 415,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I know you will do what is right for your family, but caution you to not get so focused on diversity that you sign up for a horrendous commute. Kids' attitudes about racism and acceptance are largely shaped by how their parents see the world and their travel experiences.
I understand your point. Our wants are great schools, location (resale value) and diversity. If we find a home in an area that has the first two then diversity can be supplemented with weekend "diversity submergence" activities I am sure we can find in and around Dallas. Unfortunately, to achieve the first two I really don't see a way around the commute. Both of us will have a commute of at least one hour each way. It is a pain but I think living in the Chicagoland area has conditioned us for it a bit. The unfortunate part is that there doesn't seem to be public transportation such as trains going from rural to city on a regular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I would just live in Sherman so the parent who is working in Sherman can also be involved in the children's lives.
That was our second choice after we read "Money" magazine's article "Best Places to Live" where McKinney is ranked number five. However, the school district in Sherman is not good according to schooldigger and greatschools.

We also looked at Melissa. I understand that population must be considered when figures are given but I think Melissa has too many sex offenders per their population. Every time I found a Melissa home I liked, I ran it through the sex offender registry and there was always a sex offender one street over. //www.city-data.com/city/Melissa-Texas.html (stats)

Old 10-17-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
They live where affluent whites live. Wealthy people live in the wealthy areas.

Consider University Park, TX (one of the Park Cities), the seventh most expensive neighborhood in the US.

University Park, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That 1.43% A-A and 3.10% hispanic and latino are likely to be very wealthy (some would say it's a given due to the COL there). Those wealthy areas aren't racist, they are all about the cash. If you don't have it, you don't belong, no matter what you look like.

It's a shame how much you want diversity but want a decent commute to Sherman. Garland is probably the closest to what you want in terms of diversity, but a commute from Garland to Sherman might be too long:

Garland, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the stats Pappy97. I will look at the links you provided. My fiancee already started looking at Richardson and Garland. I really don't think I am open to those areas. Yea, they will only add about 5 to 10 minutes more on to the commute but I have to hold firm some time.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:59 PM

It seems the areas where the commute would be easy to Sherman, TX there are a lot of new homes being built. Most new, home buyers want new homes. I would really dislike being a home seller with a great, older home competing with so many newer homes around the same price point and with a warranty.

However, we also must consider the gas expense of commute. How much money would we spend in gas over a period of ten years (for example) if we purchased a home in West Plano? If this expense is added into home sale price...was it really a smart decision? These are all things we need to sit down and work out.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 PM

871 posts, read 2,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BTXN View Post
According to this website, this is Virginia Beach's Race Demographics
* White alone - 287,265 (66.2%)
* Black alone - 81,738 (18.8%)
* Hispanic - 25,690 (5.9%)
* Asian alone - 24,420 (5.6%)
* Two or more races - 13,249 (3.1%)
* American alone - 914 (0.2%)
* Other race alone - 334 (0.08%)
* Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 135 (0.03%)

Ideally I would like to see the classification of each "nonwhite" label compromising at least 7% of a population where "White alone" would be at a population of 51%. In my dream world each category would be 12.5% (each meaning all eight labels/categories would be equal at 12.5%).
And why have you ruled out Sherman and thus eliminate a commute? Have you visited there yet to see if you like any houses there?

Sherman, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
As of the 2000 census,[1] there were 35,082 people, 13,739 households, and 8,820 families residing in the city. The population density was 910.0 people per square mile (351.4/km²). There were 14,926 housing units at an average density of 387.2/sq mi (149.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 78.46% White, 11.23% African American, 1.33% Native American, 1.06% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 5.26% from other races, and 2.62% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.14% of the population.
A-A and hispanic populations are close to 12.5%. The other non-whites are not, but in Texas you will not find many cities that are 12% asian or 12% native american, if at all.

For the diversity you seek, Sherman actually comes pretty close too and would mean no commute. West Plano to Sherman commute is about 55-60 miles each way depending on where exactly you live and work. Unless you have a hybrid, 120 miles a day will add up in fuel costs, not to mention travel time.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:29 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,376,558 times
Your concern about resale value leads me to believe you won't be here long. How long do you plan to be here?

Don't underestimate this commute you are thinking about. West Plano to Sherman would just be extreme. The cities are so far apart they are in different television markets. You would not hit open freeway until after McKinney.

Living in McKinney would not be too crazy. Plenty of people work in Sherman and live in McKinney.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
And why have you ruled out Sherman and thus eliminate a commute? Have you visited there yet to see if you like any houses there?
Sherman's school district leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Your concern about resale value leads me to believe you won't be here long. How long do you plan to be here?

Don't underestimate this commute you are thinking about. West Plano to Sherman would just be extreme. The cities are so far apart they are in different television markets. You would not hit open freeway until after McKinney.

Living in McKinney would not be too crazy. Plenty of people work in Sherman and live in McKinney.
We are unsure of how long we will be in Texas. We want to live the rest of our lives in Texas. However, I like to be prepared for the what ifs. You never know what will happen. I don't want to buy a home no one else will want or in an area that is not pleasing to other people. Resale is important.

I did not know Sherman and West Plano have different television markets. Thank you for that information.

McKinney is an option. I haven't ruled McKinney out.

Where in North Texas do you live and do you like it? If so, why?

Last edited by Soon2BTXN; 10-17-2010 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-17-2010, 05:34 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,376,558 times
I live in the city of Dallas, Richardson school district. I am just a couple of miles south of Plano, near the intersection of Coit and Campbell. We have a 2nd house up by Lake Texoma in Pottsboro. I have family from Denison. I work in the Legacy Plano area which is at the Dallas North Tollway and Hwy 121. I'm native to Dallas.

I like where I live okay. House is paid off, so we aren't going anywhere. It was built in the late 1960s. Working in north Plano I have found that area to be boring and sterile. I thought I would at some point move out that way, near the job, once I started working out there - like Plano or Frisco, but I don't think so anymore. I guess I don't like the "everything being new" thing as much as I thought I would. McKinney is a bit more interesting to me as there is an older part of McKinney, the town square, and it's the county seat and it's on Hwy 75, which is free.

I like the Sherman-Denison-Pottsboro area. It's definitely more small town, but big enough for some decent retail. Course, there's gambling now across the border. I love that. A lot of Dallasites keep boats and houses at Lake Texoma. It's a great lake - huge - with a lot of marinas. It's easier to be a part of those communities up there - join the volunteer fire department (which Pottsboro has), personally know a judge, see your child's picture in the newspaper. Sherman is the county seat in Grayson County.

I have known a few people to live in Sherman and work in Dallas. They drive to Plano to the end of the line of the train and take the train into town. I think there may even be a shuttle from Sherman to Plano you can pay for and take.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:21 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,894,654 times
Pottsboro schools are reasonably good - I've known of people who have bought vacation homes there, then later sold their DFW house and relocated permanently. Lake Texoma isn't going anywhere, so that might help keep home values steady. Something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas