Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 10:44 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
bchris,

When I moved here and was in that income range, I worked in Richardson. I lived in Plano at the Thornbury apartments off Chase Oaks. That was several years ago, though, and the area has changed and 75 is worse than ever. Where you look for an apartment should be highly dependent on where your job is. Good luck in your move. What part of AR are you moving from?
How is 75 worse than ever? I live near 75 in Plano. Is there something I don't know about?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:45 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Does my Ranger grow up when we become a Millionaire?
I hope so. We still have my wife's 82 Dodge Rampage. Once we're gazillionaires, I'm hoping it will grow up into a real truck too.

* Not my wife's truck, but thanks to the wonder of the internet you too can see Dodge's trucklette.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Does my Ranger grow up when we become a Millionaire?
Brian, I have no doubt you will be a millionaire before 99% of people your age! Your ingenuity, thrift and knowledge are something I wish were contagious.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:03 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Lakewooder -

That's it, I owe you a beer. Hehe. When is the Tip open? I wanted to take my dad to lunch there one day when we worked on my house together, but it wasn't open so we went to the Alligator (awesome food if you haven't gone there - I believe it's on Gaston?)

Brian

Old 08-06-2007, 04:21 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,043 times
Dgz, I guess it is a pretty subjective opinion of 75, but it seems to me like 75 has gotten more and more difficult to travel in the past seven years I've been on it. Last time I tried to get off at Spring Creek, it was backed up way onto the freeway (and that wasn't during the balloon festival!). Constant construction. And last time I exited Legacy ( a couple of weeks ago), I had to wait several light cycles to turn left. When I did that every day, I pretty much only had to wait through one, most of the time (and I was coming home at rush hour). Occasionally, my work takes me up and down 75, and it just seems to be worse between Bush and Legacy and worse between LBJ and loop 12 than it "used to be" a few years ago. But, it's wholly subjective. I moved so that I don't have to deal with it much anymore. :-D

Old 08-06-2007, 07:49 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times
Good point. Yes, I've noticed more traffic along there too. I keep thinking, 'Surely, it will clear eventually.' But it seems like construction has been going on for quite a while.

Last edited by dgz; 08-06-2007 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 PM

149 posts, read 386,677 times
Exactly what I see on this board by a number of posters.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:04 AM

8 posts, read 57,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
I've read a few posts, and that describe Dallas as stuck-up,materialistic etc... Since one persons "stuck-up" is another persons "classy", please explain if that means..don't get the paper in your bathrobe or don't go to the store without make-up or trade your car in for a new one every year...?

I know not everyone in Dallas would be the same, but I'm just curious if my idea of stuck-up is like anyone elses?
I live in California. I found the Texas women pretentious and snotty. Just a slight flicker of the eyes and upturn of the nose. Nothing necessaryly said. I was house hunting and got a great display of this when she discussed neighborhoods and "PUD" and the down turn comment of keeping certain folks out of the neighborhood. They do not meet the terms of being "DIVA's" my opinion only. I cannot truly trash on them because many Texan have that standoffish attitude and its not that they are being unfriendly they do not have that beach bum mentality and over friendlyness some of our california cousin have.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:05 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Excellent post !!!

I can't believe how much time people here spend thinking about this kind of thing. In CA, you could live a mile from someone in a home that cost 3x what yours cost, nobody cared. Maybe they made more money, perhaps they leveraged more to get the home, maybe they were even living paycheck to paycheck to pay for it.....ultimately, who cares - it's their choice and you could make the same choice if you chose to do so.

Here, if someone gives the outward appearance of being sucessful, they get tossed into a snob group and painted with a set of broad generalizations that usually are not close to being true.

Even entire counties like Collin get painted that way....which is bizarre in my opinion. Everything here seems to revert to an 'Us vs. Them' (just look at the discussions here) mentality and I'm puzzled as to why that happens.
As a relatively new resident to this area myself, I have to say I agree with you. The problem is, when you voice your own legitimate observations, you get told something is wrong with you, or how wrong you are, etc.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europe24me View Post
I live in California. I found the Texas women pretentious and snotty. Just a slight flicker of the eyes and upturn of the nose. Nothing necessaryly said. I was house hunting and got a great display of this when she discussed neighborhoods and "PUD" and the down turn comment of keeping certain folks out of the neighborhood. They do not meet the terms of being "DIVA's" my opinion only. I cannot truly trash on them because many Texan have that standoffish attitude and its not that they are being unfriendly they do not have that beach bum mentality and over friendlyness some of our california cousin have.
As a former Californian now living in Dallas, I find Texans in general to be much more down to earth than Californians as a whole. Again we're speaking in sweeping generalities, but SOuthenr Californians have a tendency towards materialistic snobbiness (I moved to Dallas from L.A.'s West Side FYI) and Northern Califorians tend towards ideological snobbery (what? you don't own a prius?!? ). But as in most conversations of this kind, one's personal experiences tend to shape their view of an entire area regardless of how the area is writ large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas