Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,545 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Dallas for a job, starting date TBD, but I have to move within a couple weeks. I have lived in Seattle and Chicago and love a city feel so would like to be downtown - however, I will be working in Colleyville. I understand the commute can be pretty brutal, but I want to make sure I'm living in an enjoyable area for a single, 22 y/o female who is new to the city.

I have yet to find a place, and the highest I can pay is $750/month. Based on what I've already researched, this can get you a lot more in Dallas than Chicago or Seattle. I would love to be in a walkable neighborhood with an active nightlife - restaurants, concerts, bars, etc. A friend told me to check out Ft. Worth as well; from what I understand this has a more laid-back vibe yet still offers all the big-city amenities.

Honestly, any input helps: I've never even been to Dallas so I don't really know what I'm getting myself into. I'm excited to make the move but don't quite know where to start. I want to be able to meet people which is why I would rather not be isolated in the suburbs, even if it means a longer commute.

If anyone has thoughts or suggestions on what neighborhoods might be the best neighborhood for me, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
The areas of Dallas that are cool and walkable are going to be more than $750/mo OR in parts of Dallas that are a miserable commute to Colleyville (like 60-80 minutes each way).

I would look at Fort Worth- the area specifically in the cultural district is popular with young professionals & is about a 30 minute commute to Colleyville. The West 7th Street area west of University Drive has a lot of new apartments, as well as older ones that should be in your price range. It's a vibrant, fun neighborhood that offers:
-walking distance to the world-class (Seriously) https://www.kimbellart.org/index.aspx, Amon Carter Museum | An American Collection | Fort Worth, Texas, Modern Museum, etc
-walking distance to popular restaurants & bars like Eddie V's, Michael's, Lannys Kitchen, Tillman's Roadhouse, etc
-walking distance to Trinity Park for walking/jogging/biking

-a short drive to Montogmery Plaza for basics, like Target, banks, pet stores, quick service restaurants (Baker Brothers, Pei Wei, etc)
-a short drive to restaurants & laid back bars on West Camp Bowie Blvd like Winslow's Wine Cafe
-a short drive to the Texas Christian University area's shopping, including an awesome Central Market grocery store (like Whole Foods, but better) at Hulen & I-30, University Park Village - Fort Worth (Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, Gap, Banana Republic, Apple, etc) at University & I-30
-also near TCU is The Aardvark - Home Page an awesome live music venue where you can see bands like Bob Schneider, Green River Orndinance, Corey Morrow, Eli Young Band, Reckless Kelly, Tim Reynolds, etc
-a short drive to Ridgmar Mall | Home (Neiman's, Macy's, Dillard's, JCPenney)
-a short drive to downtown Fort Worth (Sundance Square) and it's restaurants and Bass Hall, Performing Arts Fort Worth , where all the major Broadway musicals and other performances are
-a little longer drive to the historic Fort Worth Stockyards and the most famous Tex-Mex in town at Joe T. Garcia's Mexican Restaurant

-20-30 minutes to Arlington to see the Texas Rangers baseball, Dallas Cowboys football, major concerts @ Cowboys Stadium, Six Flags, etc

-30-45 minutes (non rush hour) to downtown/uptown Dallas

Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Totally agree with Turtlecreek: look at Fort Worth's So7 area. And as a plus, your car insurance will also be significantly cheaper living in Tarrant County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas