Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:44 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,054 times

Advertisements

Heck that's fine by me, it's about the taste anyway.

I also think that their tomato cucumber thing looks good as a side.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:57 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,036 times
I don't consider Dallas or any part of Texas to be "The South." I do believe it is lumped into the "Southern States", though. It's definitely not Midwest -- my husband is from North Dakota/Minnesota, and it's a whole other planet up there, you betcha. I always thought of Texas as Texas, not really lumped in with any other state or region of the country. I would say Dallas is the least "Texas" of the major Texas cities due to all the transplants here. That's not bad, but you just have to seek out the Texas in Dallas.

I will have to try Cowboy's Chicken. I drive by it all the time on Greenville and think, "what a strange looking little place."

Old 07-06-2007, 04:35 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Yeah I usually get the tomato cucumber thing - I bet it's great with the tomato crop in now...

Old 07-06-2007, 06:45 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,042 times
Dallas feels like Oklahoma to me. I don't know what you would classify Oklahoma as. Maybe Great Plains or something. It doesn't feel southern. The only place in Texas that feels Southern to me is Southeast/East Texas, especially around the Golden Triangle area (Beaumont-Port Arthur). Houston doesn't even feel like the South to me.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:47 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpsandHorns View Post
In my opinion, Dallas is the most "south" of the major Texas cities even though it is further north than Austin, SA, El Paso, and Houston.

Dallas is very cosmopolitan and educated, but it has the southern vibe/culture moreso than other texas cities. I liken it to modern Southern go-getter cities like Atlanta and Charlotte.

The swath of land that roughly follows the Texas-Oklahoma border east of Dallas than alongside the Ark-LA border down to the Gulf is the "South" part of texas. (Although Houston itself isn't southern to me at all. Go a few miles north or East of Houston and you feel like you are in Dixie quickly.)
You kidding me? The more East you go from Houston, the more Southern the area feels, especially as you get closer to the part where I-10 turns northwest towards Beaumont.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 PM

506 posts, read 2,148,528 times
Dallas proper is Southern to me but certain suburban areas are definitly NOT. Collin County (Plano area) is practically all transplants from elsewhere.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:04 AM

458 posts, read 2,774,621 times
I have always thought of Dallas and Texas in general more southwest. Definitly not midwest. South, maybe. According to wikipedia, Dallas and Arlington are considered in the south while Fort Worth is considered in the southwest. I guess you have to draw the line somewhere but in my book Dallas is more southwest. I typically hear people saying Texas in general is more in the south/southeast and I think it's more southwest. I guess it's just what you think, there's no real right or wrong answer. But, the local Fox Sports Network is called FSN Southwest, the Mavericks are in the NBA's Southwest division, the Rangers are in the MLB's AL West division, and the Stars are in the NHL's Pacific Division (that's pushing it though). However, the Cowboys are in the NFL's NFC East division. That should never change though because division rivalries with the Redskins, Giants, and Eagles are classic rivalries and a lot of fun. That's the sports side of looking at it. When I think Dallas or Texas, I usually think more of a cowboy, longhorn, old west type heritage which to me is southwest and not south so I guess it's just whatever you think.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:07 AM

5 posts, read 32,774 times
Nope, it ain't Southern. Back home the iced tea automatically came with sugar. Here, you hafta order it that way. Also, the purple hulls are starchy, not like those North Louisiana. The tomatoes from the farmers market can't compare to those in West Carroll Parish. Even the restaurant of the name can't cook good blackeyed peas. Much of the restaurant food, regardless of type, has a tinge of tex-mex flavor.

But I'm not going back home. I like it here.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:56 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,036 times
One of Fort Worth's nicknames is "Where the West Begun."

Old 07-07-2007, 03:02 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Dallas feels like Oklahoma to me. I don't know what you would classify Oklahoma as. Maybe Great Plains or something. It doesn't feel southern. The only place in Texas that feels Southern to me is Southeast/East Texas, especially around the Golden Triangle area (Beaumont-Port Arthur). Houston doesn't even feel like the South to me.
I agree with this. Houston may have more southern characteristics than Dallas does. But Houston does not exude the feel of the south compared to say, Atlanta, if you are talking about major cities. Houston may have been a southern city. But it is losing it with the growth of the area the past few decades and will continue to lose it. Accents are slowly changing because people from different regions and parts of the world are integrating with each other. Same with Dallas. I see a little more southwest and even a hint of midwest in there. Blacks in Dallas and St. Louis sound the same especially when they pronounce the word there or hear.

Now Tyler down to the Golden Triangle, definetly southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas