Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 01:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,736 times

Advertisements

Hi
Planning to move to dallas soon. Looking for 1bed/1 bath apt which is close to work and in a good clean/safe area. I would be working in downtown dallas so would prefer something close to work and the airport as i would be travelling too.
Moving from California and a lil worried about the Texan attitude so a nice diverse neighborhood would be preferred

Price range 500-700$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 01:06 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
What's the Texas attitude?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:00 PM

307 posts, read 1,096,923 times
The only Texas attitude is against people that think there is a Texas attitude...

Old 10-30-2010, 03:13 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,416 times
Despite your uninformed, stereotypical comment about the "Texan attitude", I'll try to offer you a few suggestions. It's going to be difficult, though not impossible, to find quality housing in a quality 'hood near Downtown Dallas for $500 - $700. Your best bets for finding housing close to that price range will be in the following close-in neighborhoods: N. Oak Cliff, Oak Lawn and East Dallas.

These apartments Good Space- Bishop Arts District Dallas Living Working are in the very diverse and socially liberal area known as North Oak Cliff. That's about 2 miles SW of Downtown. It's a very eclectic part of town with a lot of charm and character. These apartments are in or near the hugely successful Bishop Arts District Bishop Arts District :: Home where you can find lots of non-chain restaurants, art galleries, cool boutiques, etc......

Oak Lawn is just a mile or 2 to the NW of Downtown and is also a very diverse area. It's also been the largest and most prominent Gayborhood in Dallas for decades. But, all types live there. You might be able to find a 1BR in one of the many 1920's - 1930's duplexes & triplexes located along streets such as Herschel, Prescott & Hawthorne. These streets are in the northern part of Oak Lawn which is adjacent to ritzy Highland Park (think Beverly Hills without the palm trees). These are the kinds of places that don't have to advertise by doing anything more than posting a listing on Craigslist or sticking a "for rent" sign in the front yard. You'll have to walk or drive up and down these streets to find something. It's a great area and fairly walkable.

East Dallas:

This includes several 'hoods. Consider the shopping/restaurant/bar area known as Knox-Henderson Knox/Henderson Guide on Citysearch®. It's one street but it changes names as it crosses Central Expressway (US75). The west side is called Knox and the east side is called Henderson. You might find some older (1950's - 1960's) relatively cheap apartments along major north/south streets like McKinney, Cole, or Travis, all of which cross Knox. Along the Henderson stretch, there are still some older (1930's) smallish apartment buildings on cross streets such as Milam, Vickery, Belmont, McMillan and others. It's a very popular and convenient area so to find lower priced housing you'll need to wander around or check Craigslist.

Deep Ellum Deep Ellum - Dallas, Texas is gritty (in a good way) and has lots of restaurants, clubs, live music venues and quite a few loft apartments. It's also served by two DART stations, so you could take the train Downtown to work instead of driving DART.org - DART Rail System Map. You might find something small there for around $700.

The Village Apartments MyVillageApts.com . This is about 4-5 miles NE of Downtown. It's a HUGE complex of many apartment buildings built from the 1970's through the 2000's. It's very singles oriented and there are probably lots of SMU students living there since it's so close to the campus. They might have something for around $700. Parts of the Village are also located near the Lovers Ln. DART station if you want to use public transportation. Also check some of the older 1950's apartments just south of Lovers Lane along streets like University, Sandhurst, Matilda and others.

Hopefully others will be able to offer some ideas. Good luck to you!

Old 10-30-2010, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,736 times
Thanks Dallas Native.. my opinion was only formed because of mutiple posts i read about "texan attitude" across multiple forum but if its just a misinformed opinion then am glad becuase that got me a little worried...

regarding apartment i do not mind shelling out a little more maybe around 900 or so and also i am fine with little traveling may be 15-20 mins or so . Thanks once again

Old 10-31-2010, 11:20 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpdallas View Post
Thanks Dallas Native.. my opinion was only formed because of mutiple posts i read about "texan attitude" across multiple forum but if its just a misinformed opinion then am glad becuase that got me a little worried...

regarding apartment i do not mind shelling out a little more maybe around 900 or so and also i am fine with little traveling may be 15-20 mins or so . Thanks once again
Happy to help. If you are willing to go up to $900, then you might even find something in Uptown Uptown Dallas - Main. It's one of the most lively, walkable areas of the city and as a newcomer you might find it to be a good place to start out since so many of the other residents there are also new to Dallas. It's also located immediately to the north of Downtown Dallas where you'll be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas