U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 11,096 times

Advertisements

We're a French speaking family thinking about moving to Texas, but don't know anything about its French schools. Do the kids end up mastering both English and French? How is the overall school level? Many thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:27 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,454,381 times
Hello.
My child attends DIS and we really like it. I feel like the students get a really great bi-lingual education. (There is some Spanish, but not really enough to count as a 3rd language.) This is the 2nd year for the IB program. We are very excited about that even though our child is still small.

I am not sure what you are looking for in an education, but we have been very pleased. Are you coming for a visit to Texas? I would make time for a tour and discussoin with the admissions team.

Let me know if you have a specific question. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 PM

4,198 posts, read 14,561,311 times
My 2 children attended the school when they were young and I have some friends that have their kids there currently and they're happy with the education. We loved it. I just wish that they were a bit stricter with the kids from the discipline side. I'm sure and hope that things have improved.

As Jennifw said, there is some spanish incorporated but I think it's only 3 hours a week.

The school is very diverse too. It looks like the United Nations.

There are several threads already on the subject. I would suggest you do an advanced search and read through them.

Naima

Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 PM

659 posts, read 1,315,619 times
I'm not sure if Houston's on your radar, but the Awty International School is definitely worth researching. I know that many French students (ex patriates) that intend on returning to the French school system attend Awty with great results. I believe the IB program is 26 years running; and the school dates from 1956.

From the website:

"Awty is accredited by ISAS, CIS and the French Ministry of Education, affiliated with the Mission Laïque Française, and a member of NAIS. The academic program of the school prepares students for the French Baccalauréat or the IB, and offers an American diploma. All students take a second language - English, French or Spanish. There are native-language programs in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Arabic and Dutch."

Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 AM
fnh

2,859 posts, read 3,569,790 times
Does anyone else out there have any info on DIS? My DH is considering a move to Dallas and my children are currently at Awty in Houston - one is in the International section with French L2 and another is in the French section entering CP in the fall. I prefer to move them both to a French school with primary language instruction in French rather than to an English-language school with French L2. Any information or comments about DIS are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 06:46 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,074,040 times
My neighbor's children go to the school.
They're American: nothing really French about them... and they speak French quite well.
The oldest one has friends who only speak french. I've seen his speak with French people, all who say he speaks very well.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 AM
fnh

Thank you for commenting. May I ask, are you in a neighborhood near the school? What are some neighborhoods around it? I know nothing about Dallas. I tried (briefly) to find a website which allows a map search for real estate but didn't have any luck. Proximity or convenient access to the school is a bigger priority than DH's commute to downtown.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 AM

My daughter attends DIS. It is a French school with some English instruction. There are about 7 hours of English a week - everything else is in French. Most science, math, gym, etc is in French. DIS is operated by MLF (Mission Laique Francaise) which is a French non-profit organization that runs French schools all around the world. I do recommend a tour (if you are coming to town). Meah (admissions) can most likely answer all of your questions.

As far as where to live - there are lots of students who live all over the Dallas area. Where you live can be determined by where your husband's job is (downtown?) and your price range. The area closest to the school is Preston Hollow which can be one of the more expensive parts of town. You have one entering CP. How old is the other child? DIS will have two campuses next year - the one on Churchill Way and a 2nd campus at UT-Dallas (further north). The UTD campus currently only houses our high school but the middle school is supposed to move up there next Fall. That may affect your house hunting.

Feel free to send me a DM if you want to chat more directly.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 AM
fnh

Thank you!! My older son is in 2nd grade (Int'l), if we move to Dallas he would enter CE2. I plan to call the school today to talk about a possible transfer. DH tells me that should he go he will go mid-April and we would finish the year here at Awty.

DIS sounds a lot like Awty, with kids coming from all over the city. But, we do have neighborhoods where pockets of families (usually expats) settle near one another. We even have bus service to those neighborhoods. Is there a similar concentration of families in certain neighborhoods there? I would LOVE for the kids to be able to hop on a bike and visit with school chums organically, without advance planning and necessary carpools. It is very good to know that the MS will be moving further north. My impression is that it is even more important to live nearer school for MS than LS, since the kids usually have more after- and before-school activities then.

In general, what is the price range of homes around the school? I imagine we will have an upper limit of $600-700K or so, but psychologically I would rather spend far less - say half. We are very casual and don't need anything fancy, plus Dallas would be temporary for us, though temporary could stretch to the kids' graduations.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:22 AM

I think you will be pleased with DIS. I think it is smaller than Awty. We have about 550 students (preK-3 through 12th). Bummer that your son is already in 2nd grade. Our 2nd graders return today from a week-long trip to a winter camp in Montreal.

I also wanted to say that DIS offers both the French Bac and the IB. Last year was our first year and all of the IB students passed with the dual-language IB. Pretty awesome!

As far as where people live, I don't know of any pockets with a concentration of DIS families. We have a great group in East Dallas of about 20+ families, but no one is close enough for biking/walking for playdates. That is one drawback of this school. My daughter's friends live all over town and we have to coordinate in advance and drive, etc. DIS does a lot to promote integration of new families. There is a Welcome picnic, a back-to-school picnic, lots of Moms & Dads happy hours, park-dates by grade, etc.

The price range just south of the school in Preston Hollow might exceed your budget. I am thinking of homes between Northwest Hwy to the south, Forest to the North, Hillcrest to the East and the Tollway to the West. I would guess prices in there are a minimum of $700k. If you are very casual, these houses would most likely seem very fancy! A great area to look is Canyon Creek in Richardson. (zip code 75080) I think it is a nice neighborhood and is very convenient to the new campus. We have a few friends who live there and both work downtown. Homes in there are probably less than $500k. (but smaller than the mega-mansions in Preston Hollow).

Once you check things out and figure out where the school is in relation to your hubby's job, etc. post back here. There are lots of great members who really know the real estate and areas around Dallas.

Good luck! (and maybe welcome to DIS!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas