Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:38 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times

Advertisements

DCTA A-train commuter rail starting in 2011 between Denton and Carrollton will be boosting ridership on the system measurably. Giant steps in so short a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 AM

554 posts, read 1,196,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
DCTA A-train commuter rail starting in 2011 between Denton and Carrollton will be boosting ridership on the system measurably. Giant steps in so short a time.
You know it! I couldn't agree more. I like that a place as far as Denton met DART half way with their OWN line. I think the idea of distant suburbs and exurbs creating feeder lines into the DART system is very fair.

The way I see it, by 2014 DART will have its hub and spoke layout complete as well as having fulfilled its obligations to provide rail to the longtime loyal member suburbs. Eventually, I see the next EPIC projects (YEARS AWAY OFCOURSE) to be a second line downtown and a Circle Line, underground and elevated, that will connect all the spokes within Dallas proper outside of downtown. If any of the distant suburbs and exurbs want access to DART Rail in the future they should follow Denton's example and build a feeder line.

That is not to say that DART was wrong to build out as far as it has now, it wasn't. Many people say that DART has built too far into the suburbs. The Red Line extends 7.52 miles outside of Dallas proper. The Blue Line and Green Line extend 3.55 miles(7 miles by 2012) and 6.15 miles out, respectively. Now, I do think that is sufficient and that DART should not have to go beyond that. Just my thoughts. Yours?

Last edited by TowerGuy; 12-13-2010 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Just off the top of my head:

-- second line downtown. They really need one, top priority, tunnelled
-- a spur from Carrollton eastward into Far North along the existing rail easement just north of Belt Line can be the starter of a crosstown, but I don't see that happening for quite some years
-- I keep seeing how Arlington could be the beneficiary of commuter rail straight into its center just north of UTA, on the Union Pacific corridor from Union Station, but it'll never happen

Old 12-19-2010, 04:02 PM

7 posts, read 13,626 times
The green line has been up and running for a couple of weeks now. I know it is early, but what are your thoughts? Are there many passengers? From an outsider I have a question. By utilizing transfers, can the light rail system take you within walking distance of a Cowboys game, Stars game, and a Rangers game?

Old 12-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoordreamin View Post
The green line has been up and running for a couple of weeks now. I know it is early, but what are your thoughts? Are there many passengers? From an outsider I have a question. By utilizing transfers, can the light rail system take you within walking distance of a Cowboys game, Stars game, and a Rangers game?
DART can take you right to the AAC for a Stars and Mavs game as Victory Station is 165 yards away. As for the Rangers and Cowboys games, no, unfortunately. That is not the fault of DART. Grand Prairie lies between Dallas and Arlington so Grand Prairie must join DART before Arlington is eligible to join. Grand Prairie has shown no interest and it seems Arlington doesn't think of DART as a priority, or any mass transit for that matter. Therefore, DART Rail and DART buses do not run alongside the TRE anywhere close to the Ballpark and Cowboys Stadium.

DART has long term plans for a West Dallas line (indicated as the Pink Line on some maps) originating downtown and stopping just short of the Grand Prairie border. Now, that may entice Grand Prairie to join and they may very well join. However, that still doesn't get us to the Ballpark or Cowboys Stadium. In that event it would be Arlington's move and I bet that Jerry Jones would throw some massive financial backing behind the OPPOSING side of the election to join DART. It wouldn't be the first time he has opposed DART.

Last edited by TowerGuy; 12-19-2010 at 07:39 PM..

Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,036,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
...DART has long term plans for a West Dallas line (indicated as the Pink Line on some maps) originating downtown and stopping just short of the Grand Prairie border...
This sounds interesting, and I'd like to know more about it. I tried looking on DART's website for a future Pink Line (and I also looked under their rail expansion maps) but to no avail. Would you happen to have any links pertaining to this possible future light rail line?

Old 12-19-2010, 11:35 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
This sounds interesting, and I'd like to know more about it. I tried looking on DART's website for a future Pink Line (and I also looked under their rail expansion maps) but to no avail. Would you happen to have any links pertaining to this possible future light rail line?
The image is too big to imbed here, but check it out:

http://www.dart.org/images/newsroom/...Map26oct06.jpg

The line isn't pink in this map, but rather dark purple (as are all the potential rail expansion lines). It is the one going straight west from downtown to just before Loop 12.

Of course, with DART's recent financial woes, who knows if this extension will happen by 2030.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
This link is from DART's website. In addition to the West Dallas Line now being colored Pink, the Cottonbelt Line is once again colored in Purple. So I am really just assuming.

This is 23.1MB so it takes a while to load:
http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/...SMarch2010.pdf

Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 AM

169 posts, read 433,117 times
The PINK lines you are looking at are new HOV lane extensions according to the legend, not new rail lines.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpcbd View Post
The PINK lines you are looking at are new HOV lane extensions according to the legend, not new rail lines.
No, it is not HOV. It is in the middle of the presentation and it is the only PINK Line on the particular map. The legened on the map has one PINK Line and it says West Dallas Rail Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas