Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:26 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pama View Post
I almost always parked on street when I had rear garage, only at night I parked inside. What is the relation between pool and alley?
It would not be an issue with large property but because most the subburbs yards are often on the smaller side and pools are not often build at the same time than the house , it would extremely difficult and probably cost much more to not have any direct access to the backyard . You already have to remove part of your fence with a back alley .
My pool is recent but we don't have an overflow drain , we already had the water once by accident in our back alley . I just cannot imagine the same case scenario with direct access to the neighbor yard .
Also because of the two fences and the space in between neighbors , the back alley is better at reducing noises and allow you to have a tv or a stereo or a late party under the patio without bothering anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 PM

172 posts, read 355,723 times
You are still sharing fence to neighbors on your sides. Ideal solution is to find a yard facing woods or creek.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
You are still sharing fence to neighbors on your sides. Ideal solution is to find a yard facing woods or creek.
I don't. It's all mine. No one shares fences in my neighborhood. When I lived in Mesquite, I did share fences on the side, but that was because the garages were in the front.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,505 times
Quote:
I don't , the fence is rarely all around the house , it lines up the garden , up to the garage alley , not the neighbor's house.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:46 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
We ruled out houses with alley way garages when we were looking....We had never seen back alley way garages until we moved to DFW.We disliked everything about them.We realized that Prosper,Fairview,Southlake,Colleyville,Heath and Keller had very few alley way garage houses,some none at all.I can understand how some people do not mind them,but it was an absolute no for us.
That's where I am at with my wife right now.

She is absolutely dead set against having an alley entrance garage. She feels it is dangerous because they are so narrow for the most part. She imagines herself trying to fight other vehicles in an attempt to get in and out with there being only room for one car at a time.

I am torn a bit. I understand her point but I do like the nice clean look from the front of the house without a garage visible.

Ah well, from what I hear and see there are plenty of nice homes with front entry garages in DFW.

Someone earlier mentioned that houses with rear entry garages with alleys are looked upon as more "upscale" and houses with front garages not so much. Is this generally a true statement or just an opinion (maybe because they own a house with a rear entry garage... Lol).

Old 12-07-2013, 03:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post

Someone earlier mentioned that houses with rear entry garages with alleys are looked upon as more "upscale" and houses with front garages not so much. Is this generally a true statement or just an opinion (maybe because they own a house with a rear entry garage... Lol).
In the realm of "middle" houses, this may be true.
In this neighborhood, no front-facing garages allowed, so they are all "swing." Meaning you cannot see them as you approach them from 90 degrees to the home. Head-on, they just look like part of the home.
I hate alley garages, too, and I don't much care for front-facing. Swing is a nice compromise, but I like our home the best - garage is simply at the back of the home (on the cross-street).

Old 12-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
So nobody has problems with those narrow "streets" that are used for entry and exit from rear entry garages? Those "streets" look so narrow and people here have large vehicles. Just about everyone on our side of our street has a large truck/SUV.
I am waiting as well to hear from someone living in a rear entry garage home who has an issue with it.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
In the realm of "middle" houses, this may be true.
In this neighborhood, no front-facing garages allowed, so they are all "swing." Meaning you cannot see them as you approach them from 90 degrees to the home. Head-on, they just look like part of the home.
I hate alley garages, too, and I don't much care for front-facing. Swing is a nice compromise, but I like our home the best - garage is simply at the back of the home (on the cross-street).
Hmmm... I did not understand what a "swing" garage was until I read your post.

That sounds like a good compromise. Those homes are probably more costly I would guess.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I've lived in a house with the RE garage and I hated it! It was annoying to go down the alley when another car was coming the opposite direction. Then it was always terrifying trying to pull out of my driveway and not being able to see who was coming! I much prefer the front garage. Although I wouldn't mind the port cochere type either
Hmmm...

Maybe my wife is right to not want a rear entry garage.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:16 PM

111 posts, read 218,518 times
I prefer alleys. We have never had problems getting in and out. They are plenty wide for my large suv to drive down.

We now have a house with a front entry and I hate it. I think our neighborhood looks trashy with all the cars. Our old neighborhood did not allow overnight parking on the streets. The neighborhood just looked nicer.

Now I am more paranoid about backing out from our front drive because of kids riding bikes, playing and cars driving by. In an alley the speed limit is much slower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas