Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 54,047 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We live in Coppell, which is a good school district, but got to know that North Hills Preparatory Irving is one among the best in the country. Can someone comment on this. Is it worth applying for North hills even when u r living in Coppell ?

Thank you all !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM

83 posts, read 359,538 times
I am just curious to know whether you are comparing Middle or High schools in Coppell ISD Vs North Hills. Because I have been trying to gather information regarding Coppell, North Hills and Plano West related to high school in terms of their offerings and education level.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitha View Post
Hi All,
We live in Coppell, which is a good school district, but got to know that North Hills Preparatory Irving is one among the best in the country. Can someone comment on this. Is it worth applying for North hills even when u r living in Coppell ?

Thank you all !
As long as you are happy with Coppell schools and your child or children are going well, I do not think I would move them. Yes, Coppell has overall outstanding schools.

Nita

Old 11-10-2010, 01:15 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2010 View Post
I am just curious to know whether you are comparing Middle or High schools in Coppell ISD Vs North Hills. Because I have been trying to gather information regarding Coppell, North Hills and Plano West related to high school in terms of their offerings and education level.
Here ya go.

Coppell:

http://www.coppellisd.com/1517207272382373/lib/1517207272382373/CHS_Profile2010_11.pdf (broken link)

Plano West:

Plano West Profile

Plano Senior:

http://k-12.pisd.edu/Schools/PSHS/Profile2.pdf

I know you didn't ask for PSHS - I just like to prove the point that there is little or no competitive advantage for PWSH over PSHS. The AP offerings are identical, the top 10% GPA is the same (to 0.01 point), and the average SAT score is 12 points higher at PSHS, while the ACT composite is 0.6 points higher at PWSH. Y'all can keep on believing the Wolves are superior, but the numbers don't agree.

Similar info for North Hills was not readily available on their website. Hmmm...

Old 11-11-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Here ya go.

Coppell:

http://www.coppellisd.com/1517207272382373/lib/1517207272382373/CHS_Profile2010_11.pdf (broken link)

Plano West:

Plano West Profile

Plano Senior:

http://k-12.pisd.edu/Schools/PSHS/Profile2.pdf
Similar info for North Hills was not readily available on their website. Hmmm...
Thank You!!!, so far I did not have luck in getting the same info for North Hills. One major difference I found between Coppell ISD and Plano ISD is Coppell High has maximum GPA of 6.0 whereas Plano has 5.0 has maximum GPA.

Either you or some can shed light on how this works out when we apply for colleges, when two school system using different GPA levels for their high school grading.

Thanks.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,609 times
When high schools send out transcripts, they also provide an explanation of the method used to compute GPA. The school also provides the student's class rank and the GPA range of the different quartiles. This allows the college to more accurately determine the student's performance relative to his/her classmates.

Colleges pay far more attention to class rank than to absolute GPA. Also, because of the many different ways that high schools compute GPA, a lot of colleges simply take the student's grades and recompute the GPA using an internal method of their own choosing. This allows them to better compare kids from different schools.

Long story short, it's not as if going to Coppell will give your child an advantage simply because of the higher possible GPA.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
............Long story short, it's not as if going to Coppell will give your child an advantage simply because of the higher possible GPA.
Thank you again, it looks like i need to spread some love before giving you anymore CD credits

Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2010 View Post
Thank You!!!, so far I did not have luck in getting the same info for North Hills. One major difference I found between Coppell ISD and Plano ISD is Coppell High has maximum GPA of 6.0 whereas Plano has 5.0 has maximum GPA.

Either you or some can shed light on how this works out when we apply for colleges, when two school system using different GPA levels for their high school grading.

Thanks.
Most colleges will re-calculate GPAs using their own scale to evenly compare applicants from schools with 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, etc GPA scales.

So yes, a 5.0 and 6.0 scale are different in terms of how many points you get for making a 93 in Honors Biology......but it doesn't mean squat in the college applications process.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Most colleges will re-calculate GPAs using their own scale to evenly compare applicants from schools with 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, etc GPA scales.

So yes, a 5.0 and 6.0 scale are different in terms of how many points you get for making a 93 in Honors Biology......but it doesn't mean squat in the college applications process.
Thank You!!!

I am really happy to see CD members have very good knowledge about schools and education systems here in DFW

Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 PM

OP et al,

This link provides some information about North Hills

North Hills School - Irving, Texas/TX - Public School Profile

North Hills Preparatory | School Profile (http://www.uplifteducation.org/2113201119151125497/site/default.asp - broken link)

There is only three schools in Texas which has International Baccalaureate for Primary, Middle and High(Diploma) and NH is one of them.

But the waiting list (from the second link) is more than the total number of students in the school.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas