Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:11 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,603 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Dallas in a few months. We were told that Plano is a good area and therefore we were looking to buy a house there (I was looking to spend around $300K/$350K on a 3000+ sq ft house).

Then I was told that Plano is somewhat getting "crowded" and "expensive" and other areas such as Allen may be a better place to settle.

I would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this news...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 38,995 times
Default It depends where you work.

Your housing decision should really be based on where you are having to travel everyday. Allen is a really nice option. If you are going to be working in downtown Dallas then your commute may be an hour or more. Just north of Allen is McKinney and I believe you can get more bang for your buck there. But Plano, Allen, and McKinney are all good options if you aren't having to drive downtown or out near the airport.

I would likely choose Allen over Plano. Not much building going on in Plano anymore whereas Allen still has quite a bit of room to grow.

Chad
Moderator cut: no advertising

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-09-2007 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: One more comment.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:56 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Plano is bigger and more established. Do you have kids? Plano has 3 senior high schools all large. Allen is smaller, one high school town, but it's big one too, lots of students. Both districts are very academically competitive. It's very difficult to get into the top 10 percent of your class (what you need to have in order to get into The University of Texas at Austin if that's where you want to go).

I don't know about Plano being expensive and crowded. It is bigger so maybe it seems that way. Parts of both Allen and Plano are expensive. Both have new and older homes available. Allen is further out from Dallas. Both have great retail, youth sports and great public swimming pools.

Where will your jobs be? Commute wise - The train (DART) ends in Plano. It doesn't go out to Allen. You can drive from Allen to the end of the line and get on the train in Plano and head downtown.

Allen and Plano both have this east-west thing going on. East of Central (Hwy 75) is supposed to be inferior to the west side. I don't know about that. Used to be the east side of Plano was more country, but I don't think that's true anymore. Both cities downtown area are on the east side.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:17 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,603 times
I work in retail banking (Chase) so I am sure there are plenty of Chase branches down there. My wife is a pharmacist (at CVS Pharmacy) so I am sure she can also get a job nearby. We have a 2 year old so although good high schools are important, it isnt an immediate need right now.
What about the prices of homes? We are looking to buy a 3000+ sq. ft house. I live in NY now and that would go for over $600K easily. Can I get a better deal in Plano or Allen or ?

Old 07-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Oh yeah, you can get a 3,000 foot house for 300-350. I just looked on ebby dot com and there are 81 houses in Allen in that price range, most over 3,000 sq feet and there were 143 in Plano, most over 3000 sq feet.

That's cool you can work pretty much anywhere.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:47 PM

Here are some real estate numbers from The Dallas Morning News from the 1st quarter of 2007:

Plano
834 home sales (down 9 percent)
median price was $217,500 (up 6 percent)
median days on the market 59
median price per square foot $97

Allen
335 home sales (down 9 percent)
median price was $188,760 (up 6 percent)
median days on the market 73
median price per square foot $89

Old 07-08-2007, 08:09 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Default I love Allen and all the surrounding towns

I live in Allen, in the Watters Crossing subdivision, and I think Plano and Allen are really "six or half dozen". They both have great schools and there are great neighborhoods in both towns. I relocated here two years ago and searched extensively in both towns, as well as Murphy, Parker and McKinney, and I chose Allen only because I fell in love with my neighborhood. You will not feel a difference when crossing town borders. Barring a few distinctive neighborhoods as well as some pocky sections that are in every town, it's all the same here. Big, beautiful homes in lots of lovely neighborhoods.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:31 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
I agree with KSF, to someone coming from outside the area, Allen feels alot like an extension of Central Plano. Both are great places to live with good schools and relatively safe. I wouldn't get hung up on the differences between the two. Allen does have higher taxes (closer to Mckinney) and less shopping, but again, Plano is so close that the shopping is almost a moot point.

If you look in Allen, my favorite spot was Twin Creeks for resales (excellent family area) and Montgomery Farms for new homes. Highland in Montgomery Farms is blowing homes out now (one person said they recv 50k off!), so 350k is a reality inside there....Star Creek further north off Stacy is also nice. As for Plano, I prefer West of Preston Meadows and east of Midway (west of Midway is Lewisville schools - with the exception of Shoal Creek, which is amazing, but $$$) between Park and Spring Creek, but the only homes you'll find in your price range there will be either in Preston Meadows or some neglected ones in either Old Shepard or Steeplechase (both are nice mature areas, so fixers are worthwhile here). You may also be able to score a 350kish home in Glen Meadows or Wolf Creek as well, but in that price range, the homes sell quick. There is more of a selection the closer you get to 400k. Check out Preston Meadows though....decent builders in there and slightly smaller homes, so they cost a little less.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:42 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I agree with KSF, to someone coming from outside the area, Allen feels alot like an extension of Central Plano. Both are great places to live with good schools and relatively safe. I wouldn't get hung up on the differences between the two. Allen does have higher taxes (closer to Mckinney) and less shopping, but again, Plano is so close that the shopping is almost a moot point.

If you look in Allen, my favorite spot was Twin Creeks for resales (excellent family area) and Montgomery Farms for new homes. Highland in Montgomery Farms is blowing homes out now (one person said they recv 50k off!), so 350k is a reality inside there....Star Creek further north off Stacy is also nice. As for Plano, I prefer West of Preston Meadows and east of Midway (west of Midway is Lewisville schools - with the exception of Shoal Creek, which is amazing, but $$$) between Park and Spring Creek, but the only homes you'll find in your price range there will be either in Preston Meadows or some neglected ones in either Old Shepard or Steeplechase (both are nice mature areas, so fixers are worthwhile here). You may also be able to score a 350kish home in Glen Meadows or Wolf Creek as well, but in that price range, the homes sell quick. There is more of a selection the closer you get to 400k. Check out Preston Meadows though....decent builders in there and slightly smaller homes, so they cost a little less.
I also like Twin Creeks and also just south of there, I like certain areas of a development called Sun Creek.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:08 AM

549 posts, read 2,193,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
I work in retail banking (Chase) so I am sure there are plenty of Chase branches down there. My wife is a pharmacist (at CVS Pharmacy) so I am sure she can also get a job nearby. We have a 2 year old so although good high schools are important, it isnt an immediate need right now.
What about the prices of homes? We are looking to buy a 3000+ sq. ft house. I live in NY now and that would go for over $600K easily. Can I get a better deal in Plano or Allen or ?
Where in NY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas