Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 12,519 times

Advertisements

We recently moved back to Texas from the Northeast. My husband is working in Arlington and I will be starting a job in Grand Prairie next week. We have a daughter in high school and have family in Allen, McKinney and Mesquite. We were thinking of buying in Grand Prairie but I've been reading some negative posts. Can anyone suggest some good neighborhoods in Grand Prairie or any other towns that would be convenient for our situation? Thanks a lot. Ann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
the impression I think most people have of GP ISD is lower income, minorities student body, problems w/gangs and discipline in and out of classroom, probably not a safe environment -- probably not much for college bound kids ---
but that might be said about HEB ISD which is my district and I know there are good schools within that district with quality teaching and many students who succeed, get into college and get degrees....

Arlington ISD has Martin HS zone--Martin is usually ranked as pretty good HS--don't know about the middle or elem schools that feed into it...

You might consider Mansfield ISD which is close to the areas you mentioned--some stigma in Mansfield about the east/west sides of district but new construction on west side of 287(?) means that students from higher priced properties than those originally there will be moving into that zone...

There are sites that you can check for info on the schools...some things I think indicate quality education are
% of students who attend college/ enter trade schools/go to work/leave school (and they fudge on that number any chance they get because it affects their TEA rating)
% of students of receive SCHOLARSHIPS--not grants or loans,
Number of students enrolled in AP classes who take the AP tests (not all of them do) and % of those getting 2-3-4 scores
number of AP classes offered in high school and middle/jr high,
what is the turn-over for teachers at an individual school (how many years of experience in certified field)
ask specifically--how many English/Algebra/Chemistry/??? teachers do you have, what has been your replacement rate past 2-3 years....
How many of your teachers have MASTERS in their fields (not in Admin which means they want to be principals)
Do you have any foreign instructors you recruited--our district had to do that to get science teachers for chemistry or something like that--problems with discipline (the teacher expected students to behave in the respectful/traditional manner of his home country which did not happen)
His English was not really understandable by the kids because he could not adapt his lessons when they asked questions...
Not a good situation---but some teachers might be better choices...

Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 AM

100 posts, read 455,592 times
Check out south Grand Prairie off of Great Southwest Parkway. You will be in Mansfield ISD. It's near Joe Pool Lake and it is a very nice neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas