Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Well it's kinda like the whole tree scenario. People say we don't have trees which isn't true but since they aren't huge like they're used to they don't consider them. So same with the snow, we get maybe 1 or 2 days a year, but saying it snows seems a lil silly and seems to give off the wrong impression.
It's also silly to give the impression that Dallas is warm year round by downplaying it's winters when in reality Dallas has a full fledged winter season with snow and ice unlike Houston for example. Dallas can get pretty darn cold. You don't have to be as cold as Chicago or Boston to have a cold winter. It's not the fault of Dallas residents but many people outside of Texas are ignorant about Dallas weather. Since most large Texas cities have year round warm wearther such as Houston, San Antonio and Austin, people group Dallas in that same category when in reality Dallas is far more north and has almost midwest-like weather that is not as extreme. Like the Midwest, Dallas has 4 seasons and hot summers and cold winters. And Dallas residents don't really do much to dispel the notion that Californians and others have about Dallas weather when they assume it's going to be warm year round because it's in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Dallas residents on this forum try to portray Dallas like it's a warm weather city like Houston and it's not. Dallas has every season including winter and yes it snows in Dallas nearly every year. It's not as cold as the upper midwest but it most certainly has a winter season with snow 1-2 times per year and several days of ice rain, icy roads and golf ball sized hail. That doesn't make Dallas a bad city by any means but I fail to understand why Dallas residents cover up the fact regarding its winters. The entire world is seeing Dallas Ft. Worth weather up front with the Superbowl. I've been in Dallas when it's snowed on Thanksgiving and if you don't believe me, youtube the infamous Cowboys-Dolphins Thanksgiving game in which Leon Lett made that huge error. The snow on the field is visible.
I don't know. It's starting to snow in Houston almost every year now (since 2004). Never happened like that before. But, I do agree that Dallas has more "Midwestern" weather than the rest of the Texas Triangle. It's up north, plus the elevation.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
3 AM Tarrant county Hurst/NEMall area
sleet mixed with rain at 3---some hail mixed in--now more sleet w/some accumulation of sleety ice/snow in corner of my patio which faces north
this is nasty and will last for couple of days

this weather CAN happen here during the winter--
we have had a heavy snowfall as late as Valentine's Day about 10 yrs ago now--
but our bad weather usually comes in and is gone within 48 hours--miniblasts so to speak
weather where the snow comes and does not relent until spring thaw is just not what DFW is about
nor most of TX north of us--

Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times
Quote:
It's also silly to give the impression that Dallas is warm year round by downplaying it's winters when in reality Dallas has a full fledged winter season with snow and ice unlike Houston for example. Dallas can get pretty darn cold. You don't have to be as cold as Chicago or Boston to have a cold winter. It's not the fault of Dallas residents but many people outside of Texas are ignorant about Dallas weather. Since most large Texas cities have year round warm wearther such as Houston, San Antonio and Austin, people group Dallas in that same category when in reality Dallas is far more north and has almost midwest-like weather that is not as extreme. Like the Midwest, Dallas has 4 seasons and hot summers and cold winters. And Dallas residents don't really do much to dispel the notion that Californians and others have about Dallas weather when they assume it's going to be warm year round because it's in Texas.
I agree with you! Before moving here 2 years back, I too got the impression that Dallas was warm year round. Just not true. It gets really chilly in winter, with maybe 3-4 days when it goes to the 60s each month in winter.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
none of those other cities have year round warm weather.

I also don't think you guys from out of state understand. The winter precipitation the last 7-8 years has been really unusual. Especially the snow. It did snow some in the 80s and 90s but no where close to what we've seen since 2003.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
none of those other cities have year round warm weather.

I also don't think you guys from out of state understand. The winter precipitation the last 7-8 years has been really unusual. Especially the snow. It did snow some in the 80s and 90s but no where close to what we've seen since 2003.
That's what I'm saying. Even Houston has had snow almost every year since 2004. That's never happened. It's almost to the point where people expect to see snow at least once in the winter in both cities.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
If it's been like this for 7-8 years, then maybe we have to accept that this is how it is going to be regularly in the future. I wonder if "global climate change" has something to do with it?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
It's also silly to give the impression that Dallas is warm year round by downplaying it's winters when in reality Dallas has a full fledged winter season with snow and ice unlike Houston for example. Dallas can get pretty darn cold. You don't have to be as cold as Chicago or Boston to have a cold winter. It's not the fault of Dallas residents but many people outside of Texas are ignorant about Dallas weather. Since most large Texas cities have year round warm weather such as Houston, San Antonio and Austin, people group Dallas in that same category when in reality Dallas is far more north and has almost midwest-like weather that is not as extreme. Like the Midwest, Dallas has 4 seasons and hot summers and cold winters.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
yes--global climate change (much better than global warming) does have lot to do with the changing weather senarios in different parts of the country/world since the oceans warm which causes temp changes to the higher altitudes and diverts the jet stream which is responsible for most of the major weather movements...at least that is short version of what I believe is taking place in last 12 or so years...incrementally at times but still happening...

Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,171 times
Quote:
The entire world is seeing Dallas Ft. Worth weather up front with the Superbowl.
You VASTLY overestimate the importance of American Football for the Entire World.

I have NEVER seen on TV or heard anyone talk about the Superbowl in my 27 years living in Europe. You really think that China, India, countries in Africa or even anyone in South America cares about the Superbowl???

There are two reasons why people in the world know Dallas. The TV show and the assassination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas