Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 26,074 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm looking for an apartment near the University's Medical Center and I'm wondering if there are any areas to avoid? Also, is traffic bad around there? I found a nicer apt building about 5mi away from there, near SH75.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,098,013 times
Eh, it ranges from "ok but industrial" to "run!!!"

You're perfectly safe working there, but look west of the Tollroad in Uptown, North Oak Lawn (north of Lemmon, east of Oak Lawn), or Knox-Henderson areas. These all are between 75 and the Tollroad and will give you a 10-15 minute commute with no highway driving needed (Lemmon west to Inwood, south on Inwood is an easy route). These are all neighborhoods that offer lots of dining, shopping, & entertainment (bars/ art / theatre/ live music/ pro sports), outdoor activites (trails, parks with tennis courts & intramural fields), as well as all the daily necessities- grocery & drug stores, Target, etc.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 43,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk86 View Post
Hello. I'm looking for an apartment near the University's Medical Center and I'm wondering if there are any areas to avoid? Also, is traffic bad around there? I found a nicer apt building about 5mi away from there, near SH75.

Thanks in advance
can you say exactly how "safe". I think poster above meant to say east of the toll road. But I agree with everything. I would feel safe walking around outside alone at 3am in those areas. LOL

Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickjenks100 View Post
can you say exactly how "safe". I think poster above meant to say east of the toll road. But I agree with everything. I would feel safe walking around outside alone at 3am in those areas. LOL

Yes! Sorry- look EAST of the Tollroad....areas between 75 & the Tollroad.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,880,637 times
That area (Zip Code 78207) is a lot safer than one would think. Also, there is a lot of new construction at the Medical Center (a new hospital!) with plenty of new apartments nearby. My neice is a medical student at UT Southwestern and she lives off Loma Alta and Mockingbird - she just takes a 10 minute car ride each way.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
That area (Zip Code 78207) is a lot safer than one would think. Also, there is a lot of new construction at the Medical Center (a new hospital!) with plenty of new apartments nearby. My neice is a medical student at UT Southwestern and she lives off Loma Alta and Mockingbird - she just takes a 10 minute car ride each way.
Um, if she lives near the Intersection of Loma Alto & Mockingbird (which is about 10 minutes from UTSW), she lives in HIGHLAND PARK. Of course it's safe- it's the safest, wealthiest, and most expensive neighborhood in all of Dallas.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,880,637 times
Yes, Highland Park is as safe as it gets. But, as I stated above, I think that the area around the UTSW campus is safe to live in - many UTSW students and residents live near the Medical Center itself.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Yes, Highland Park is as safe as it gets. But, as I stated above, I think that the area around the UTSW campus is safe to live in - many UTSW students and residents live near the Medical Center itself.
I know HP is safe; I grew up in UP. It's not practical for most med students' budgets though.

Yes, the area immediately around UTSW is safe- but there's not much there in terms of grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

The area further north (stretching north from Maple to Lemmon, along Inwood area) is sketchy. I drive through there often as a cut-through and have witnessed drug deals, assaults, and a myriad of other very sketchy activites in a neighborhood that is very poor and high in drug/ crime.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,894,093 times
I'm a fan of minimizing commute, but not in this case. I think your quality of life would be higher in any of the neighborhoods TurtleCreek80 listed than in the area immediately surrounding UTSW.

OTOH, if you're there for a residency or a post-doc, you'll be putting in such massive hours that you might not need anything beyond 4 walls and a bed.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 AM

2 posts, read 26,074 times
Thanks everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it!

I've been looking for apartments around there and found one that fits my budget quite near to UTSW (on Chattanooga Place) but the area doesn't look very pretty on Google maps, looks kind of, I don't know, desertic. The apts east to 75 definitely look better and newer, they're about 5-9 miles away from UTSW which doesn't seem like a long commute at all, Google maps say it's a 10-12 min drive. Traffic concerns me though, anyone knows how bad it could get at about 9AM and 5PM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas