Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 07:42 AM

6 posts, read 5,226 times

Advertisements

We are a 30 something couple (non religious) with young kids (1-4) and are going to be looking in the Rockwall, Plano, Frisco areas. Does anyone know which communities might be the best fit people wise? We like newer, upscale type neigborhoods. Is the Shores in Rockwall nice? My wife is a stay home mom.

Any other recommendations? Southlake, Lake Grapevine, Flower Mound, Coppell?

WE APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Yes, the Shores in Rockwall is very nice. You have a mix of homes from the older custom homes to the homes in the high $200's that were built about 10 years ago to the custom homes now. There are some very nice custom homes in that area. Tons of stay at home moms in the area too w/ lots of kids. The golf course has always been highly regarded in the area. They offer camps in the summer for kids from golf, tennis and swimming. The new development on the shore of the lake in Rockwall is very nice w/ the movie theater, restaurants, shops and the marina. Rockwall is booming w/ all kinds of development along I30. VERY easy commute to downtown Dallas from here. While looking in Rockwall also venture out to Heath, they share the same school district. You will find more homes on acreage or larger lots out in the Rockwall-Heath area than anywhere else in the metroplex. There is Buffalo Creek along w/ MANY other developments of very high end homes.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Thank for for the information!!!! We look forward to visiting this weekend.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Frisco is full of people in their late 20s/early 30s with young kids. The area in general feels very youthful. I live in Plano, so I'm partial to it because it is so centrally located and developed with all the ammenities one could dream of....lots of yooung families as well, but there are also alot of families with older kids as well.

I drove out to Rockwall recently and it just didn't do it for me. I'm also from Socal but a little older with kids that are a little older. You'll know once you drive through each of the areas. Frisco just feels like the new Plano, but Rockwall has a different feel all together.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,229 times
Default More SoCals moving to Plano/Frisco--ADHD school?

Hi,

We're moving too from Carlsbad; also visiting this week to find a house.

We have 3 kids, the eldest of which is entering 4th grade and has ADHD. Does anyone have experience with The Great Lakes Academy (GLA) in Plano? They specialize in kids with ADHD. Also looking for anyone with experience with IEP (ARD??) implementation for ADHD kids in the local public schools (Plano, Frisco, Lewisville ISDs)?

Our son had been in public school and done very well academically, but he has issues with impulsivity and fidgeting, as well as with social skills. We're going to tour GLA this week and have an interview. I am just wondering about the atmosphere--is it too "special"? Would there be any sort of stigma a 4th grader might feel from neighborhood kids who go to "regular" schools, or is it just viewed as any other private school?

We are going to look in Frisco and W. Plano for homes; in the event we decide to give the ADHD school a shot, we may be more inclined to buy in Plano.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 PM

My wife is a former teacher and has done the research on schools. It appears Plano and Rockwall both have excellent schools.

Good luck with your home search!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:49 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
mamalaren,

I'm not sure about how each ISD handles disabilities. The best bet would be to call the school district and speak with someone. I have heard Plano ISD has programs, but I'm not sure on all the details....

Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Fewer schools are giving IEPs to kids with just ADHD. They are giving them 504s instead. I know they used to give IEPs under OHI. My son had one, but something changed since we left the public schools (5 years ago) and people are telling me things are different. The schools have to lower the percentage of kids in special ed due to NCLB.

I don't know anyone who has had a kid at Great Lakes, although I drive by it sometimes. My son is at a different LD school (Shelton) and it very much has a regular school feel. They have a football team, other sports, band and theatre. There are 850 kids at Shelton. Great Lakes is much much smaller, under 100.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,768 times
Default Rockwall

SoCal

If you are looking in Rockwall, you should also look at Heath. Heath is actually part of Rockwall County and really is considered Rockwall (if you put Rockwall on your address and live in Heath, you still will get your mail).

Heath probably has a little more upscale side to it than your basic Rockwall does. It is on the south side of I-30 close to the new Harbor Development they just put in (new movie theatre, some high end shops and some restaurants right on the lake). The Shores is on the North side of town.

If you are looking for a golf course development (seeing you are looking at the Shores), then you should look at Buffalo Creek. Buffalo Creek is going to be the upscale golf course neighborhood in town.

Rockwall/Heath is a great community - especially if you like golfing and the lake, and things like concerts on the lake at the Harbor village. No matter where you come in the south you are going to find it to be religious but the people in Rockwall/Heath are not really pushy about it.

What size house and what level of $'s are you looking to spend on the house?

I am actually selling my house in Heath, which is 5,700 square feet on the golf course and on a cul-de sac (full of kids) which has 4 or 5 bedrooms depending on how you use the 5th bedroom/office down stairs, kids game room, entertainment room, pool - everything you want when you have a family. I am moving due to work but love the neighborhood, love the town.

Let me know if you have any interest and i can send you more specifics.

With respect to the ADHD message - the best school probably is Shelton in far north dallas. A little pricey per year but I have friends with a child there and they have done a great job with the child.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the info. We have decided to rent for 6 months so we can really take a close look at different communities. We are joining Brookhaven CC so probably will look in Plano, Frisco, Flower Mound, Grapevine, Coppell area. We want to spend between 275K and 325K. Thanks again for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas