Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:12 PM

42 posts, read 94,413 times

Advertisements

Well...obviously an error. I keep calling Rockwall Rockwell ...craziness. So looking to move to ROCKWALL lol

Firstly...thanks to all who participate in these threads. You provide useful info to the thread starters as well as people just passing through (i.e. me)

I will accept a job on Monday and put in my two weeks here...but I have to start there on 12/13 which is a SUPER quick turnaround. I'm looking at Rockwell as a place close enough to the city yet with an relatively easy ride out to Greenville.

Background: LOVE major cities. Have lived in Detroit, Milwaukee, suburban Atlanta and now Wichita (hate this place thoroughly...too small). That being said...I'm extra excited about Dallas of course.

I'm 29; wife is 28; 7 y/o daughter; 1 y/o son.

Anyone familiar with Rockwell? Positives? Negatives? I don't know how it is demographically--I want great schools--but don't my kid to be a speck in a sea of white faces...I'd want her to have multiple backgrounds of people to interact with. So any insight there is appreciated.

I don't think the drive to Greenville will be that bad since its against the grain of traffic; How about the drive towards Dallas...? I'm sure my wife's job will likely take her in that direction. Hopefully it's at least manageable like 35 mins to get downtown or so...?

I guess that's all...thanks in advance for the input...feel free to offer anything that you feel is helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 05:14 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
I think Rockwall is a great city. It is growing and there is a major lake a stones throw away. There is enough diversity that I think anyone would feel comfortable. The only downside is the traffic but since your driving to Greenville instead of Dallas this would not be a issue. I personally think Rockwall would be perfect for your needs.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Rockwall is a really nice place to live. You will be among many other young families and the schools are very good. My parents have lived in the area for 17 years, and there are very good reasons for all of the growth out there!

Rockwall to downtown Dallas is about 45 mintues depending on the time of day. Hopefully your wife can find something in a suburb or take the DART rail into downtown.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 AM

42 posts, read 94,413 times
thx!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 PM

207 posts, read 506,457 times
Rockwall or Rowlett are both great places. Good schools in both. The drive to downtown is about 30 minutes. My hubby drives it every morning from Rowlett.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:12 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
Rockwall is an awesome place to live. I think that in your situation, since you will both be driving opposite directions, it's a great compromise. Your drive will be long but with no traffic, hers would be about the same with more traffic, and may be a little longer if there is a wreck or rain. However, she may be able to find a co-worker to carpool with to take the HOV. It's a great time saver.

Rockwall has grown tremendously in the last decade. The school system is excellent, it is a very self sufficient city with excellent healthcare providers, lots of restaurants choices and shopping too, we have a Cosco (Cosco junkie here). There are a lot of activities throughought the year just like in Rowlett.

I just wish that there was a whole foods or sprouts.

Welcome to our neck of the woods.

Naima

Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 AM

159 posts, read 575,298 times
Rockwall has "The Harbor" which is an outdoor shopping center that runs along Lake Hubbard. The Harbor has gift shops, restaurants, a movie theatre, a large hotel, fountains, and a walking path that leads up to a lighthouse.
Rockwall also has a beautiful library that is two stories high.
You can also get a membership to 24 Hour Fitness which has a huge fitness center, basketball court, pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, yoga, and tai chi classes.
Lakepointe Church is one of the 25 largest churches in the United States and has quite a few activities that you can get involved with.
On the other side of Lake Hubbard there is a huge Bass Pro Shop and several nice restaurants along the lake.
And Shananagans is a family fun center/bowling ally/restaurant/bar.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 AM

11 posts, read 13,590 times
I did not want to start another thread and I thought this one seemed relevant. I am in essentially the same situation as the OP (26 yr professional, used to living in big cities) but no wife or kids. Would you recommend Rockwal for a single guy in his mid twenties? I am more accustomed to living in the city limits and commuting though it seems like Greenville is a little too far to do that. I don't miond too long of a drive as my profession usually has positions in manufacturing environments not located in urban environemnts. I am more curious if there are ANY young professionals who live in Greenville and if Rockwall is really more of a "yuppie" part of town (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
I know there are young professionals in Greenville due to several major employers being there: Raytheon, Rubbermaid, etc. But I can't imagine there are too many. Rockwall is more of a family town, although the Harbor area is really neat and has apartments in it. Greenville to Dallas would be an insane commute: 1.5 hours EACH WAY.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 PM

247 posts, read 567,822 times
Rockwall is a superb city. You will like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas