Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 PM

764 posts, read 1,648,537 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the insight. I'm not even going to entertain Flower Mound or McKinney. An updated ranch would be in our price range in Lakewood (fortunately with the no state income tax that gives me something to work with, or atleast pay the property taxes with). Having lived in a 1950s craftsman home in Seatlle (no kids), then a McMansion in Alpharetta, GA (w/kids), I'm looking for a quaint neighborhood and hubby is looking for a place for all our 'stuff' (or kids). It's all about trade-offs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,101,157 times
Then Lakewood sounds like a great fit! The streets just south of Mockingbird, east of Abrams are filled with very nicely remodeled, sprawling ranch homes (that 3,000sf is all on 1 level)- many of which are on 1/3 acre lots. Lakewood Elementary School is located in that area- off Hillside & Vanderbilt.

Check zip 75214 on realtor.com or other sites with the whole MLS showing. You want homes zoned for Lakewood Elem. Streets are named Kenwood, Ellsworth, Merrilee, Alexander, Vanderbilt, Lakefair Circle, Frontier Lane, Bob-o-link, Southridge, etc.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 AM

441 posts, read 993,984 times
Don't miss out on Lake Highlands...we live in Lakewood and love it, but Lake Highlands is a wonderful place to live too (and significantly less expensive.) Make sure you're looking in Richardson ISD neighborhoods. You'll find larger houses on larger lots for a lot less money, with old growth trees and easy access to downtown. It's just one more option...

I just can't understand why people live so far north and work downtown. The mind boggles.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:49 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,353,867 times
Flower Mound is very nice, and has everything you want. Schools are very good all the way through HS, so no worries there. You'll be able to get more house for less money, and there will be a lot less traffic and general unpleasantness than there will be in Dallas.

However, it will be about a 45 - 60 minute commute every morning. If I leave around 7:00, I get there around 8:00-ish. If I leave around 6:40, I get there around 7:25.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,101,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Flower Mound is very nice, and has everything you want. Schools are very good all the way through HS, so no worries there. You'll be able to get more house for less money, and there will be a lot less traffic and general unpleasantness than there will be in Dallas.

However, it will be about a 45 - 60 minute commute every morning. If I leave around 7:00, I get there around 8:00-ish. If I leave around 6:40, I get there around 7:25.
Most people would consider sitting in traffic for 10 hours a week (10 precious hours away from spouse/kids/ extra sleep in the AM) "unpleasant".

What is this "general unpleasantness" you think we who live in the city of Dallas endure? Contrary to your beliefs, there isn't much traffic when you live in Dallas. The major traffic is isolated to highways during rush hour. After work and on the weekends, you never get stuck in traffic jams while running errands, going to kids soccer games, or out to dinner at night. In fact, I think there is much more sitting in traffic in Southlake, Frisco and other suburbs whose infrastructure wasn't built for the populations those areas now have.

I love how those who never spend any time in the city other than working love to "subtly" bash city life.....

Old 12-09-2010, 10:11 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,416,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Most people would consider sitting in traffic for 10 hours a week (10 precious hours away from spouse/kids/ extra sleep in the AM) "unpleasant".

What is this "general unpleasantness" you think we who live in the city of Dallas endure? Contrary to your beliefs, there isn't much traffic when you live in Dallas. The major traffic is isolated to highways during rush hour. After work and on the weekends, you never get stuck in traffic jams while running errands, going to kids soccer games, or out to dinner at night. In fact, I think there is much more sitting in traffic in Southlake, Frisco and other suburbs whose infrastructure wasn't built for the populations those areas now have.

I love how those who never spend any time in the city other than working love to "subtly" bash city life.....
This is so true. Even on the weekends if I go visit friends in Frisco, I'm sitting in major traffic on the city streets once I get there, even if the tollroad was clear all the way. Weekends in my area are completely peaceful. I'll be running out to do some errands in a while here and I don't even have to think about how to avoid traffic in order to get them done in a timely manner and without too much hassle.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,841,453 times
IF you can afford Lakewood then yes look there. (yes it's one of the NICEST areas in Dallas...thus it has the price tag to go with it)
But I would also look into Richardson and sections of Dallas that attend Richardson ISD.
I also would say if you are look out more suburbish then look at Garland (closer than Rowlett)

As you said you have a 1st grader, PLENTY of very good elementary schools to choose from.
You are wise to not even look at MS/HS... you will probably be re-located before you child is old enough.

Just use the same rule for here as you would for someone i nMD loking to commute to DC....live as close to work as possible for your budget. (you don't want to be house poor nor do you want to have your hubby spending hour+ each way to work)

Welcome!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:32 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,602,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Downtown to McKinney, Flower Mound, or Heath? You'd have to be stark raving nuts to sign up for any of those commutes. Plus, you'd be far removed from the DART system.

The DART works great for commuting to/from work. If you want suburban life without having to drive 60+ minutes every day, get a house close to the north endpoints for the Red, Green, or Blue Line. 5 minutes of driving to the Park and Ride, 45 minutes of kicking back and reading the morning paper or whatever. Low stress, low hassle.

If you want to live closer in, consider the Lake Highlands area of Dallas. Cheaper homes than Lakewood, Richardson ISD schools, and a DART station.

100% agree! Wow, I know folks who moved from NJ and were bedazzled by the big new inexpensive homes in Heath and disregarded our admonishments. House has now been for sale for over a year now along with all the many, many other beautiful homes in the outlying areas. If you are seriously interested in FM, McK or Heath why don't you rent something there first. So many vacant newer homes on the market, betcha can find a rental easily. Then you can test hubby's commute tolerance and also the new job situation while you get to know Dallas better.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,602,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
Thank you all for the insight. I'm not even going to entertain Flower Mound or McKinney. An updated ranch would be in our price range in Lakewood (fortunately with the no state income tax that gives me something to work with, or atleast pay the property taxes with). Having lived in a 1950s craftsman home in Seatlle (no kids), then a McMansion in Alpharetta, GA (w/kids), I'm looking for a quaint neighborhood and hubby is looking for a place for all our 'stuff' (or kids). It's all about trade-offs.
Opps! I didn't catch your post. Smart!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,894,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
You are wise to not even look at MS/HS... you will probably be re-located before you child is old enough.
Not so sure I agree with this. The years go by faster than you think. Plus, the OP's husband is being relocated to AT&T's main corporate office here in Dallas, so he may be here for the long haul.

I live in a pocket of Plano where the middle school kids are bussed 4+ miles to a school in Dallas. I know at least some of my neighbors were unpleasantly suprised to find that out, because they hadn't thought any farther ahead than the elementary school a few blocks away.

In the case at hand here, the Lakewood vs. Lake Highlands debate, I think you have to carefully consider Long MS in DISD vs. the Richardson ISD middle schools, even if that's years down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas