Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 AM

222 posts, read 604,114 times

Advertisements

Thanks, TurtleCreek for the feedback. You are right, something will have to get compromised, and I'm still considering the area, definitely. I will also contact the gentleman you told me about who knows the area well.

Dallasnative, thanks a lot for "drive by" route...lol. I will be sure to drive down those streets you mention above. I really must have missed some key areas, so I'm not counting it out just yet. You're right, in theory, it seems like the perfect location for what I desire. I'm planning to go back this afternoon and will report back. Thanks everyone for all of the insight and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 02:29 PM

222 posts, read 604,114 times
Happy New Year everyone!

I went yesterday and drove around N Oak Cliff to check it out agin, and very glad I did. This time I took 30/Hampton to get to the area as opposed to 35/Colorado which I did the day before. Here are my thoughts:

Kessler/Stevens Park- absolutely beautiful! I could so see myself in a neighborhood like that. Not sure if they will have homes in my price range, but there was one that recently sold for $195k so there may be some hope. This would be my first choice out of that area.

Stevens Park Village - this area was ok, wasn't thrilled with it, but wasn't abhorred by it either

Kessler Plaza - cute, quaint areas....Marvin street was very attractive...kind of "hit or miss" as far as some of the streets/houses go, but the several cute areas/homes I saw were very nice. This would be my 2nd choice if I found a great house.

Winnetka Heights - I drove around WH a lot more than the other day and saw some cute homes....yes a lot of homes were dilapidated looking, but there were some nice ones in the mix as well. Tied for 2nd choice.

Overall, I'm very glad I went back out there to look. I was right, i was missing some things the first time out. Much better second time out....I will definitely be adding N Oak Cliff to my areas of interest. TC, you were definitely right about there not being many "for sale" signs up in the area. Thanks everyone for giving me the right routes and places to look. Would it be worth it do a drive by through the M streets as well to compare?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
There was an adorable Kessler Park home on Marydale listed at $190k that sold in the past few weeks. That street is 2 blocks north of Colorado, by the gorgeous Christian Science church & the golf course...so under $200k in Stevens Park/Kessler Park is definitely a possibility if you're patient and willing to pounce right when they go on the market.

WH & KP are definitely in your budget, but if you have time/patience/money, wait for Kessler Park & Stevens Park since you like it so much.

As for M Streets, chances of finding anything under $250k (and really $275k) is slim to none. Another friend just bought a home north of Lakewood (along Mockingbird & Abrams), but she was working on an under $275k budget and the pickings were slim. She finanlly found a home with good bones around $260....but the thing will eventually need about $50k of electrical/ hvac/ kitchen/ bathroom work.

I did the drive from Lakewood (not deep Lakewood, close to Mockingbird & Abrams) for a while and it sucked getting to Legacy. About 40 minutes AM and 60 minutes PM, as there aren't any quick routes to cut across from 75 to the Tollroad.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If you do the M-Streets drive you should also check out Vickery Place and Junius Heights - from what you have written I think you would like those...

Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If you do the M-Streets drive you should also check out Vickery Place and Junius Heights - from what you have written I think you would like those...
She works at Legacy & Tollroad and her church is down 67 near Cedar Hill.....anything past Greenville or Matilda turns into a hellava commute from East Dallas. But I agree, without considering the commute, it is a good match.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I wouldn't want to do that either, but there are people on here who will argue that it's perfectly fine to go from even farther north in Frisco to Downtown Dallas every day. I suggested East Dallas to Las Colinas in another thread and they tried to bury me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas