Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times

Advertisements

I agree! Commutes suck. That's why I live out in Dallas's suburbs (where I work)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I have a friend who says: We have two million from north of the border and two million from south of the border, a couple of million are on cellphones, texting, doing their makeup or shaving. Only about 500,000 of us natives know our way around. And most of us are not stupid enough to get on the freeways.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I agree! Commutes suck. That's why I live out in Dallas's suburbs (where I work)
We also live in a suburb where we work as well. Nothing wrong w/ living in a suburb. It's the living in one so FAR from where one works.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
So just curious...where do you propose all those that work in Dallas proper live? The schools suck, except for the few "golden" areas posters on here love. Those areas are definitely NOT affordable for most. I'm sure you will say Richardson, but the entire population North of 635 or the George Bush cant all move to Richardson.

I think most people weigh the options and decide they would rather have the lifestyle of the suburbs, even if it means a horrific commute. FWIW, I don't count myself as one of them at this point in my life, but I can see why some people make the choice. I know a Northern transplants that are thrilled that they can now afford a new (evil post-1980 cookie cutter) home with extra square footage, drive included.

All these awful "newcomers" come with the businesses that have relocated to Texas. We should be happy they are here--traffic is one inevitable symptom of a growing city with a good economy.

Besides, ANY large city has this problem--I don't get why this is surprising. DFW is catching up to where LA, Chicago, etc. were years ago because growth started here later. It's not really an unexpected development.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
So just curious...where do you propose all those that work in Dallas proper live? The schools suck, except for the few "golden" areas posters on here love.

While it might not seem feasible to some it is actually rather simple. Revitalization. Think about it. If all these people that are "afraid" of moving closer into Dallas or into Dallas proper because it is "old" or "bad schools" DID move to these areas they would regentrify and the schools would improve. I've seen old schools in "bad" areas be the better schools over brand new schools in new home areas. Just because something is new does not mean it is the best and just because something is old does not mean it is bad. It takes people getting involved and involved parents. If 100 people that cared about their kids schools and their community moved into one area and worked to make a difference then those schools would drastically improve and the community would as well. It just takes some elbow grease and volunteering. Which new schools and communities need volunteers just as bad if they are going to be any good. Too often people move to the brand new school or the brand new neighborhood thinking it is "the best" and do nothing. They just expect it to be "the best" on its own. If they don't get involved then it is not going to be any better than some "sucky" school in a low poverty area where parents are not involved either.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
We actually prefer our time away from work to be spent with family or doing fun things, NOT sitting in traffic.
ok, off my soapbox

Report: Dallas Has Worst Commute In the Country « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of DFW
Yeah, gospel truth Mom. The commute is the worst thing about DFW. Hell, I hate it so much I have only been west of 35E about 10 times in my whole two years here, and certainly seven times was on business. In fact at this very moment I am very much not looking forward to hopping on the Central Distressway once again. Fortunately, I have the luxury of waiting till rush hour is over - as in leaving after 10. I just couldn't do that everyday at the height of it. In fact, if I'm coming back at rush, I just plain don't. Abrahms all the way to Beltline, then Greenville to Plano. I'll take to extra time against the risk of life and limb on that highway any day I can.

Yup best advice people - try to not to that commute if you can avoid. Live near work and your life will be much better.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Close to 60% of the schools in DISD are exemplary or recognized. I suggest that some people are more afraid of the people who they think go to those schools rather than the schools themselves. Most never take even an hour to investigate, much less actually visit the campus.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:30 AM

114 posts, read 185,972 times
Just wondering since I'm going to be new to Dallas in a few months... whats wrong with commuting if you choose to do it? Sometimes living near work is not the best option if the area where your job is located is not suitable to your personal lifestyle... Sure its great to value your time with family but if you live far from all the other things you want in life (i.e. good schools if your a parent or in my case city amenities, although my husband will be working in the suburbs) then maybe commuting is the best option for some people

Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM

I don't know it only takes a couple of commuting disasters to convince me that I couldn't do it - last night there was a wreck on the tollway at LBJ - total disaster on all surrounding roads as well (and after 7 pm). Then a couple of weeks ago I had to go from that area home and the tollway was a parking lot so I went over to Central, which was worse. Neither had hit the traffic reports. Silly me, I should have just gone down Hillcrest as I would have normally done. But who knows, it was probably bad also - like Inwood and Preston. I lived in Houston for a couple of years and did the commuting thing. That took years off my life!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:57 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
If everyone moved to Dallas, real estate prices would skyrocket, and Dallas would lose one of the few positive things it has going for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas