Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,159 times

Advertisements

Frontage Roads are the problem. Worst idea ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 02:29 PM

383 posts, read 733,333 times
I live in Plano and commute into downtown 4-5 times a week on the dreaded *EVIL* 75 (scary music) most days of the week. It's 20 miles and about 35-45 minutes most days but then I get up early. Sure the drivers on the 75 are bad and there are an amazing number of single-car accidents.

I've done far, far, worse commutes so the time and distance don't bother me and I like the area and my house. Sure I could live closer in town and have a similar property for a lot more money but housing in DFW is a terrible investment and I’d rather invest in something with a better return like Greek or Portuguese Bonds.

Having lived in a few places I’d say DFW’s traffic pales in comparison to LA or Atlanta. Compared to London (UK)…well, there is no comparison if you want to talk about crappy commutes.

I’d love to live in Dallas but most of it is a filthy dump and Dallas County politics seems to be modeled on Zimbabwe’s with a bunch of John Wiley-Mugabe’s behaving like clowns.

So there you are – the most reasonable, well balanced post on this thread so far. J

Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEtoTX View Post
Frontage Roads are the problem. Worst idea ever!
Ha, that's like saying exits are the worst idea ever.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
I live in Plano and commute into downtown 4-5 times a week on the dreaded *EVIL* 75 (scary music) most days of the week. It's 20 miles and about 35-45 minutes most days but then I get up early. Sure the drivers on the 75 are bad and there are an amazing number of single-car accidents.

I've done far, far, worse commutes so the time and distance don't bother me and I like the area and my house. Sure I could live closer in town and have a similar property for a lot more money but housing in DFW is a terrible investment and I’d rather invest in something with a better return like Greek or Portuguese Bonds.

Having lived in a few places I’d say DFW’s traffic pales in comparison to LA or Atlanta. Compared to London (UK)…well, there is no comparison if you want to talk about crappy commutes.

I’d love to live in Dallas but most of it is a filthy dump and Dallas County politics seems to be modeled on Zimbabwe’s with a bunch of John Wiley-Mugabe’s behaving like clowns.

So there you are – the most reasonable, well balanced post on this thread so far. J
Well I certainly have to laugh at someone from Plano dissing on Dallas!

Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM

383 posts, read 733,333 times
:d:d

Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 PM

94 posts, read 304,964 times
as a newbie to Dallas, I actually find the traffic and roads are pretty good, compared to other large metro areas - LA, NYC, Boston and even Atlanta are, IMHO, far worse than what I have experienced here, even in the dreaded 3-6pm time slot

Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Well I certainly have to laugh at someone from Plano dissing on Dallas!
Even when its the truth? You mad?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROckjaw View Post
as a newbie to Dallas, I actually find the traffic and roads are pretty good, compared to other large metro areas - LA, NYC, Boston and even Atlanta are, IMHO, far worse than what I have experienced here, even in the dreaded 3-6pm time slot
Atlanta just has a horrible freeway infrastructure all together.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Even when its the truth? You mad?
LOL you know Lakewooder has always had his beef with the Northern burbs for various reasons.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
According to one study the Dallas area now ranks as the WORST commute in the nation. Can we PLEASE place the blame for this title on those to whom it belongs to. That would be the umpteen tens of thousands that move here and insist that living in the far flung burbs and commuting to Downtown Dallas is "easy" or "no big deal". Just read these threads for many examples. The all too common, "an hour commute is fine" is very popular among those relocating here. Now we are paying the price with this not so lovely title. Meanwhile, those of us that actually want to live much closer to our work are not having to deal w/ as much of this, THANKFULLY! We actually prefer our time away from work to be spent with family or doing fun things, NOT sitting in traffic.
ok, off my soapbox

Report: Dallas Has Worst Commute In the Country « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of DFW
Well, as soon as the widening of 635 is complete (which I think will be in a few years if I remember right), that will relieve a huge chunk of the headache during morning and evening rush hours.

However, what I find interesting about the far-out suburbs (i.e. McKinney, Frisco, Little Elm, ect.) is that many of the people that now live in those areas are from places like New York or California, where commuting 30 miles one way is the norm, so that would be the explanation as to why so many of them are fine with living so far out.

However, I agree with you in that I would NEVER want to live very far from where I work. In fact, in any major city in this country, I wouldn't want to live anymore than 5 miles from where I work. Gas just cost too much anymore to be wasting it each day just getting to and from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas