Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:58 AM

7 posts, read 6,443 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I'm going to attend richland college this upcoming spring and after long long hours of internet apartment hunting I still haven't found anything that would help me make up my mind about which areas are good or bad to live in.

So as I mentioned above I'm going to attend richland college, therefore I need a 1 bedroom or a studio apartment that is close to school and and by close I don't mind a 10 or 15 minutes drive from my future place to school

however, I've only been to dallas a couple of times so I don't know the areas well. I'm looking for a safe area where there isn't a lot of crimes or theft around. I'm also looking for a neighborhood where everything is close or walking distance where you can get out of the apartment and walk around for groceries and coffee and stuff like that a place where a 21 year old would like and find peace within

I was planning to live near school but i read that the Richland Area is very high of the crime scene so I would appreciate any help and info you guys would provide me with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
check out the Village Apartments. It wouldn't be a bad drive.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:18 PM

Thanks Squirl but I read some very bad reviews about those apartments that they were old buildings and had some pest problems ;(

Old 12-26-2010, 03:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Avoid the apartments on Forest Ln, and in the Audelia/Skillman area that are the closest to Richland.

The Village is actually a GREAT place for young people to live with lots of activities always planned at the many different units clubhouses. Don't let a few bad reviews scare you away from checking them out.

Another option would be in Richardson around the Eisenmann Center. There are apartments there that are on the top levels w/ retail and restaurants on the first level. This is at the corner of Campbell and 75 and not far from Richland in a nice new area.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1989 View Post
Thanks Squirl but I read some very bad reviews about those apartments that they were old buildings and had some pest problems ;(
I agree that the Village is the closest safe option in a neighborhood where it is possible to walk or bike to Target, grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

The Village is a collection of a dozen or more apartment complexes in one neighborhood. Names are The Chase, The Green, Northbridge, etc. Some buildings are practically brand new (like under 2-3 years old); some are 30-40 years old. Pretty much everyone who lives in Dallas has lived in one of the Village apartments at one time or another- or knows someone else who did.

One thing to keep in mind when reading apartment reviews online- many times, "rival" apartment complexes will write bad reviews hoping to drive more people to their complex instead. Also, peope who have a bad experience are 4-5x more likely to write a bad review than someone who had an ok/ good/ great experience. This is true for all online reviews- TripAdvisor.com, yelp.com, amazon.com, as well as apartments. I lived in several apartments before buying and not once did I ever write an online review- or even think to!

So come visit the Village, stop by the gym or country club (which is free for all residents) and talk to many different current residents about their experience. I think that will give you a more true picture than the apartment websites.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:48 PM

20 posts, read 69,494 times
Yo man! I go to richland and spent 4 years living in the "NAWF" hahah or the "real north dallas" i do not recommend living anywhere east or south of the campus, unless you want to live in the ghetto. everything particularly close, Is EXTREMELY low income, i used live at the "St. Criox" my first year at richland and payed about 400 a month for rent/ utilities(which was great being a local) so you have an idea of the type of people living in the area. Seriously crime is on the rise in the "nawf" and i REALLY dont recommend anything between abrams, and what we call the "stop six" audelia/skillman/forrest lane intersection.
There is A BUNCH of new apartments/condos going in/around the spring valley dart station. My friend lives in the ones actually attached to the station and i love those. Check that area out.
Also I Will let you know that i live in uptown (less than a block from cityplace station) and have been taking the dart to class which is awesome and i get to live in what i consider the most urban part of Dallas.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:26 PM

60 posts, read 125,156 times
I'm still getting to know the area myself, but wouldn't Addison (particularly Addison Circle because of the chance to walk to some shops) be another possible solution? Perhaps someone else can chime in on whether or not that is a good suggestion.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 AM

247 posts, read 567,907 times
Addison is not too far away, though if you commute down 635 anywhere near the morning or evening rush hour you might get sick of Dallas fast! LOL.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 AM

momof2dfw
Thank you so much for the tip and i think its an experience I might have to live myself too if everything goes well. But do you by any chance happen to know the name of that tower near the Eisenmann Center?

TurtleCreek80
Thanks for the tip after what you guys said I can't wait to go check out those village apartments and I'll make sure to stop by the village and check them out but since there is about 12 complexes in the village how would I know which one is newer and which one to go to because anything could look new with a coat of paint

Goodwc72
I'm really thankful to have someone like you that goes to Richland and can share his experience with me. I'm really trying to stay away from Richland's area and I began to like uptown even though I haven't been to dallas yet and I would want to live in uptown. What's the name of your apartment complex you sound happy to live in it and how much would a 1x1 or a studio cost in that building ?

skyview22 & dallas90210
you know one of my friends just suggested it today and I didn't read much about addison yet but it sounds to me more like a suburbs which wouldn't have the walking distance to everything feature that I need

Thanks everyone for your post you've been a great help and I hope to hear from you soon

Old 12-27-2010, 09:05 AM

247 posts, read 567,907 times
I recommend the Village Apts too, by the way. They have great security & maintenance, the rent is fair priced (especially in the older complexes - the newer ones are a little more expensive) and there is a very large, single, 20-something crowd there. I lived there at one time & loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1989 View Post
momof2dfw
Thank you so much for the tip and i think its an experience I might have to live myself too if everything goes well. But do you by any chance happen to know the name of that tower near the Eisenmann Center?

TurtleCreek80
Thanks for the tip after what you guys said I can't wait to go check out those village apartments and I'll make sure to stop by the village and check them out but since there is about 12 complexes in the village how would I know which one is newer and which one to go to because anything could look new with a coat of paint

Goodwc72
I'm really thankful to have someone like you that goes to Richland and can share his experience with me. I'm really trying to stay away from Richland's area and I began to like uptown even though I haven't been to dallas yet and I would want to live in uptown. What's the name of your apartment complex you sound happy to live in it and how much would a 1x1 or a studio cost in that building ?

skyview22 & dallas90210
you know one of my friends just suggested it today and I didn't read much about addison yet but it sounds to me more like a suburbs which wouldn't have the walking distance to everything feature that I need

Thanks everyone for your post you've been a great help and I hope to hear from you soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas