Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:12 PM

57 posts, read 159,208 times

Advertisements

African American familiy single mother 3 daughters planning to relocate to Dallas/Fortworth area from Beverly Hills MI (Bloomfield, Birmingham area) by mid Aug. Have been told by friends North Dallas area would be to my liking. I have 2 school age children one will be entering high school ninth grade and one will be a senior in high school. Looking for an area/school that is racially diverse. ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH OUR CURRENT AREA IN MI? Looking for something just like that, but without the cold weather. LOL Hoping to rent or lease initially until learning area better. Can afford approx $1,800 a month for rent hoping to get at least a 4 bdrm for that price. Low crime, racially diverse, good achools. Is this realistic? Any suggestions for areas? schools? employment? I am in IT, (Cisco certiied CCNP with some voice certifications as well) Also licensed cosmetologist,(hairdresser). How is Arlington is that N. Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 13,959 times
dallas is defentitly not for single parents with 3 children you may want to try oklahoma as a better location

Old 05-25-2009, 03:21 PM

Not!!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 04:29 PM

Love warm weather, no HOT weather LOL! I have been reading some posts about how
pretentious the people are in Plano, particularly West Plano where i probably can't afford anyway.LOL I want to be around friendly sincere/real people in a low crime area with good schools. Not stuck up or haughty! One of the daughters is in college no small children.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Dallas gets hot! Not warm, hot!!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:45 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Dallas gets very very hot.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:21 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Dallas does, indeed, get very hot. The first year I lived here the max temp was 113 degrees at DFW. Granted, it hasn't been THAT warm since (10 years & counting), but it's regularly 103-105 during the summer. Coming from MI the humidity won't bother you as much, though.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 PM

80 posts, read 195,155 times
I just relo'd from the Ann Arbor, MI area in the fall and am AA as well.

It does get hot - humidity won't be an issue for you because we both know that it gets very humid in MI. My SUV registered 97 degrees when I left work at 5 today. I happen to love hot, humid weather so you'll get no complaints from me.

I'd say as far a diverse areas with great school districts, you'd want to look at Frisco / Plano area. My kids are in college in MI so school district wasn't a huge deal for me, but if you look at many of the posts on this site, those seem to have what you're looking for. I also hear good things about the Carroll ISD (Southlake area) but that might be out of your price range for leasing.

If you look at realtor dot com, you'll a ton of houses for rent in the $1,800 range with 4 bedrooms in
Frisco and some folks are willing to negotiate on leases.

I'm currently in an apartment in Valley Ranch (north Irving and very, very diverse) and will be moving into a house we're leasing in Frisco ( can't sell the house in MI, plus leasing buys you time to figure out the complexities of the Metroplex). I negotiated the lease and will be paying less than my mortgage payment in MI for a 4,600-square-foot home in a great sub. I needed the extra space for storage since I will be giving up a basement here.

Spend some time on this site - you'll find it very helpful. It will also be helpful to come down and visit a few times. I have family here so I could spend time driving around and researching. I also rented an apartment for several months so I had time to really look at some of the areas.

I wanted newer construction since my house was built in 2002, lots of amenities close by and a relatively decent commute to work. Living in metro Detroit, driving far to get where I needed to go wasn't especially and issue as that's the way of the world in the Detroit area.

Feel free to DM me for more explicity info.

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,786 times
Keep in mind that if you get a massive home, your cooling bills in summer can be insane depending on how the home was built, the direction it's facing (lots of southern windows = high cooling bills), amount of shade from trees. Some places will provide you with previous summer energy costs to help you understand those factors.

I grew up South of Detroit and went up to the Beverly Hills area several times, but I moved here almost 10 years ago so my memory is pretty rusty. Welcome to Texas.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 PM

When I said I like warm, no hot weather, I mean I love hot weather. I went to Vegas in July and loved it 100 plus in the day and 85 at night! I love to go to the water parks or lakes. It looks like the cooling bills will replace the heating bills I experience now, difference being I have a much higher tolerance for heat. Heating cost here averaging between 200 and 250 a month. How are the nights, I prefer fresh air (open windows) to air conditioning. OneShinyface thanx for all the info. How are the schools, crime, cost of living in Valley Ranch (north Irving). Going to miss basements!!!! but homes seem to have more sq footage for the money in TX. 4000 sq ft is more than adequate I have been very comfortable in 2400 sq ft. so 4000 will feel like a palace . Mainly want nice size rooms lots of bathrooms (4 females) would be great if we ea coukd have our own. 4 full one half. Is that doable for 1800 a month? according to sites i have been going to homes much more affordable than in MI. Looks like you get much more house for your money in TX. What about employment? Employment is almost nonexistent in MI. I currently am a contract worker at AT&T and have a 100 mile commute one way to Lansing ea day. When my contract expires I will have no choice but to leave the state anyway. No jobs here, won't be able to afford overhead and bills here. So TX here I come! Very scared about uprooting my children from an excellent school system though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas