Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Maybe in Texas.

Nation wide & World wide Dallas ranks pretty low when it comes to fashion, especially for being the 4th largest MSA.

In the South, Atlanta & Miami are both ahead of Dallas.

Dallas' claim to fames are Neiman's aka Needless Markup & Northpark, respectively. JC Penny headquartered in Plano & is a joke in the world of fashion. Dallas' Galleria was a later take off from Texas' original Galleria in Houston (still the biggest & best).

PS

Haven't we done this on here before?

Talk about Deja Vu.
I don't know if this thread has been done here before. I'm new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I don't know if this thread has been done here before. I'm new.
Don't worry, pay no attention to matt. He's a Dallas hater that desperately tries to put Houston ahead any chance he gets.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Don't worry, pay no attention to matt. He's a Dallas hater that desperately tries to put Houston ahead any chance he gets.
I've said it on here before & I'll say it again.

I like Dallas, but I love Houston.

Given the two cities for what they're worth I'd take Houston in a heartbeat, but that has nothing to do with the thread at hand.

Dallas is the fashion center in Texas, that's it. Houston is a close second.

Miami though the smaller of the two Texas metros kills both on a national & global scale. So does Las Vegas.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
I've said it on here before & I'll say it again.

I like Dallas, but I love Houston.

Given the two cities for what they're worth I'd take Houston in a heartbeat, but that has nothing to do with the thread at hand.

Dallas is the fashion center in Texas, that's it. Houston is a close second.

Miami though the smaller of the two Texas metros kills both on a national & global scale. So does Las Vegas.
Really?

The Global Language Monitor ranks Dallas #31 in the World as a Fashion Capital.

The Global Language Monitor » Milan upends New York as Top Fashion Capital

Old 12-29-2010, 09:09 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Maybe in Texas.

Nation wide & World wide Dallas ranks pretty low when it comes to fashion, especially for being the 4th largest MSA.

In the South, Atlanta & Miami are both ahead of Dallas.

Dallas' claim to fames are Neiman's aka Needless Markup & Northpark, respectively. JC Penny headquartered in Plano & is a joke in the world of fashion. Dallas' Galleria was a later take off from Texas' original Galleria in Houston (still the biggest & best).

PS

Haven't we done this on here before?

Talk about Deja Vu.
I work in the fashion industry here in Dallas and spent many years working in NYC. Dallas is solidly #3 in the US behind NYC and LA.

If you don't understand the national magnitude and importance of NorthPark, Neiman Marcus, Highland Park Village, and the Dallas Market Center, you really aren't educated enough to comment on this thread. There are more retail consultants based in Dallas than every other US city except NYC for a damn good reason.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It depends. Houston's boutique is probably one of the best you can find the country and it's known worldwide. Ask those coming in from South America.
To which Houston boutique are you referring?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Really?

The Global Language Monitor ranks Dallas #31 in the World as a Fashion Capital.

The Global Language Monitor » Milan upends New York as Top Fashion Capital
And 5th in the US far behind

1. NYC
2. Los Angeles
3. Vegas
4. Miami

Putting Dallas on the list without even mentioning Chicago tells me right off the bat this fantasy list is bogus.

It didn't even provide a commentary for Dallas & being put out by a Texas based publisher doesn't quite mesh in my eyes. Seems they would at least mention Neimans. I read it twice over just to make sure.

When people start making special trips from Central & South America to Dallas just to shop give me a call.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I work in the fashion industry here in Dallas and spent many years working in NYC. Dallas is solidly #3 in the US behind NYC and LA.

If you don't understand the national magnitude and importance of NorthPark, Neiman Marcus, Highland Park Village, and the Dallas Market Center, you really aren't educated enough to comment on this thread. There are more retail consultants based in Dallas than every other US city except NYC for a damn good reason.
I respect Northpark for what it is & its a fun place to shop, but Needless Markup & JC Penny's Plano?

Come on.

The original Neimans in Downtown Dallas though unaffordable to most Dallasites & the public in general will always remain the city's true pride & joy.

Foley's was a staple in Downtown Houston for over 100 years until it was bought out by Macy's in 2006.

Macy's makes JC Penny look like Wal-Mart.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:48 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
And 5th in the US far behind

1. NYC
2. Los Angeles
3. Vegas
4. Miami

Putting Dallas on the list without even mentioning Chicago tells me right off the bat this fantasy list is bogus.

It didn't even provide a commentary for Dallas & being put out by a Texas based publisher doesn't quite mesh in my eyes. Seems they would at least mention Neimans. I read it twice over just to make sure.

When people start making special trips from Central & South America to Dallas just to shop give me a call.
Suck on this for awhile before commenting Matt.

From the article I linked in post #4; below is what Couture Fashion Week's show producer Andres Aquino (who isn't from Texas) said about Dallas:

When asked “Why Dallas?”, Mr. Aquino replied “Because Dallas is one of the country’s most important centers of style and sophistication with a large population of upscale fashion-conscious consumers. We are excited to be bringing a series of original highly creative fashion shows to Dallas.”

Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
I'd put Dallas behind NYC, LA, Vegas, and Miami for fashion. Those are the four American cities you hear of the most for fashion. Not Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas