Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:44 AM

912 posts, read 1,887,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
According to the Fashion Monitor, Dallas is tied for 5th with Atlanta and behind NYC, LA, Miami, and Vegas. I think thats probably about right.
As it no longer has much of a garment industry, as it is no longer ground zero for the cotton exchange, and as it has become more of the center of the south than just the southwest, as well as it now deals in more products than just women's and men's clothing and apparel, the city of Dallas just kind of out did itself regarding its designation as a fashion center.
Things could be worse. It could also rank along with NYC, LA, Miami, and Vegas as one of the empty condo capitals of the world as well.
Being ranked fifth in fashion isn't bad when the metropolitan area you live in is ranked second, third, forth, and fifth in just about everything else.
It is called having a diversified economy.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-30-2010 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 03:44 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Again, Dallas is not a national fashion center. People up in NYC or over in LA would laugh if they saw this thread.
You obviously know nothing about fashion, NYC, or LA.

I live in NYC and I know TurtleCreek80 did for quite some time too. I don't think either of us are laughing. As as been repeated on this thread ad nauseam, Dallas is a worldwide fashion hub whether you like it or not.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:45 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post

I live in NYC and I know TurtleCreek80 did for quite some time too. I don't think either of us are laughing. As as been repeated on this thread ad nauseam, Dallas is a worldwide fashion hub whether you like it or not.

It's just Matt. The rest of us know better.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Thousandth verse, same as the first, Houston is the energy capital of the world, its Texas Medical Center is the largest in the world, it has NASA, and it has the Galleria which is frequented by more wealthy Mexican nationals than any other shopping mall in the world.
Fixed

Old 12-30-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post

Keep telling yourself that.

Neiman's put Dallas on the map, but that's been decades & decades ago.

Oh & D/FW has more shopping centers per capita, not Dallas.

Dallas' Galleria took a major hit after Northpark was renovated in the early 2000's. I don't think it has ever fully recovered either. People shop there out of convenience mostly.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
Quote:

Dallas' Galleria took a major hit after Northpark was renovated in the early 2000's. I don't think it has ever fully recovered either. People shop there out of convenience mostly.

So your thesis is either, A, a national fashion scene is contingent upon the overall health of the Galleria, or, B, Northpark Mall is not in Dallas.

I'm confused.

Nobody is saying Dallas is No. 1. But Dallas is recognized as a major player, much to your chagrin, I'm sure.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:

When was the last time you were at the Galleria in Dallas? During the normal hours when people shop, its packed. The vacancy rate is almost zero. It also has one of the most diverse clienteles Ive ever seen at a shopping mall and that includes the Houston Galleria.

You have to learn to give credit where credit is due. Im certainly willing to let Houston have credit where it earns it (international feel, very nice people, and nice tall trees). Dallas has a leg up on Houston in this one category and has achieved recognition for it from a huge publication that is not based in Texas or the South.

Youll sleep easier if you can let stupid s**t like pride for Houston go.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 PM

This thread has become yet another Dallas Vs. Houston pissing match.

Lets settle it in the General US-City Vs. City forum shall we & find out what non Dallasites/North Texans really think.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...r-fashion.html

Old 12-30-2010, 07:57 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:

Lets settle it in the General US-City Vs. City forum shall we & find out what non Dallasites/North Texans really think.

The reason why it became yet another Dallas vs Houston pissing match is because you made it into one. You are the one that belittled Dallas and one of it's strongest suits and you're not liking the answers you are getting. You are also the one that harps on Houston and bringing it up. So therefore you go ahead and make a thread in the city vs city thread which will do nothing but bash Dallas from now until eternity and that will be gladly down your lane. Pretty lame.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
Quote:

Quote:
It is however the leading regional fashion center of the Southwest followed closely by its big brother 200 miles to the South which attracts way more international shoppers than Dallas ever will.

Oh, gee, I wonder which troll brought Houston into this thread. Oh, yeah, it was that guy that lives in Tyler!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas