Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times

Advertisements

It's also telling that he complains about every stereotype Dallas gets from its Houston/Austin/Fort Worth detractors. Obviously a troll.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
I feel the OP make excellent points and tells some harsh truths that the oblivious and delusional natives of the area aren't willing to accept. If you have the chance to leave, do it! Find a real city with some culture and maybe some nice scenery to move to that is more to your liking. Life is too short to live somewhere where you're miserable all the time.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Dallassuck is just the most recent itteration of the same person, makes up a name - Dallasstinks was one of his last ones, and just starts posting his nonsense, and then gets kicked off.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I feel the OP make excellent points and tells some harsh truths that the oblivious and delusional natives of the area aren't willing to accept. If you have the chance to leave, do it! Find a real city with some culture and maybe some nice scenery to move to that is more to your liking. Life is too short to live somewhere where you're miserable all the time.

I agree, life is too short to live somewhere you're miserable. That is why I live in Dallas. And I enjoy the culture and the lifestyle we have here.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I agree, life is too short to live somewhere you're miserable. That is why I live in Dallas. And I enjoy the culture and the lifestyle we have here.
Exactly, well said. Some people have this notion that there is no way possible people here could actually enjoy living here because obviously they've never been anywhere else and don't know what they're missing. Well I've been to LA, NYC, Barcelona, London and Mexico and loved all those places. Doesn't mean it sucks being here and is devoid of culture and things to do and I'm just missing out.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 PM

180 posts, read 479,461 times
Maybe he just had a bad day? *shrugs*

There are a quite few things that I do agree on and when a person isn't enjoying the culture, offerings and lifestyle of a city, a person will be unhappy. I get it, example: if you are really big into the outdoors and nature-wilderness trail running/hiking/back packing/camping , Dallas does not have alot to offer. It's just not that kind of place. I used to really like Dallas when I first moved here but I find myself being drawn to other cities because as a person I've grown and changed and have different interests. To each their own.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:47 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,039 times
What I don't get is why do folks start hate threads about a city. If you don't like the place fine but don't try to tell others that they shouldn't like it.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallassucks View Post
For you who posted, I most certainly live here. And for the others I appreciate the legitimate feedback, I have seen the trails in Las Colinas and they do look nice, but stuff like that is far and few between and there is a need for it in Dallas. Trinity Park is not happening in our lifetime especially when the Federal funding just fell thru, which is a shame as it would have been amazing for the city. But what confuses me is they still decided to build a $75 M bridge over it when there are other projects that could use the money, again what seems to be a superficial waste of money. I have been to the small and uninspiring museums in Fair park that do not fair in comparison to some 2nd & 3rd tiered cities (Richmond, St. Louis, Kansas city or even Fort Worth), who also do not charge admission.

I have met several people who share the same beliefs and I. And to say that I am closed minded doesn't make any sense, provided that you didn't share any reasons for me to think otherwise. Am I closed minded in the fact that I find the overall city superficial, without the desire for quality of life for the people as a whole rather than themselves?

There are worse places to be, but Dallas is by far not the best city and for those native's ego whose feelings that I hurt needs to go out and see what else is out there as you are missing out.
Dude that bridge was apart of the project! When you leave I will be very happy!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
What I don't get is why do folks start hate threads about a city. If you don't like the place fine but don't try to tell others that they shouldn't like it.
Man, you are so right!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallassucks View Post
For you who posted, I most certainly live here. And for the others I appreciate the legitimate feedback, I have seen the trails in Las Colinas and they do look nice, but stuff like that is far and few between and there is a need for it in Dallas. Trinity Park is not happening in our lifetime especially when the Federal funding just fell thru, which is a shame as it would have been amazing for the city. But what confuses me is they still decided to build a $75 M bridge over it when there are other projects that could use the money, again what seems to be a superficial waste of money. I have been to the small and uninspiring museums in Fair park that do not fair in comparison to some 2nd & 3rd tiered cities (Richmond, St. Louis, Kansas city or even Fort Worth), who also do not charge admission.

I have met several people who share the same beliefs and I. And to say that I am closed minded doesn't make any sense, provided that you didn't share any reasons for me to think otherwise. Am I closed minded in the fact that I find the overall city superficial, without the desire for quality of life for the people as a whole rather than themselves?

There are worse places to be, but Dallas is by far not the best city and for those native's ego whose feelings that I hurt needs to go out and see what else is out there as you are missing out.
I think you have some fair points and there is truth in some things you say, but often you paint with too broad of a brushstroke.

Furthermore, I think a lot of what you say can said about other sunbelt cities, especially Houston. These two cities just don't have that vibe that comes with cities' with history and/or density, such as Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, and DC. I love Houston and will continue to live here, but I can acknowledge, accept, and live with this fact.

I think your characterization of Dallas as a place with its priorities screwed is true when it comes to infrastructure and development projects. Dallas has often exhibited the Texas bravado and "bigger in Texas" mantra better than other cities in my opinion. The bridge, the deck park, Museum Tower, Art District, etc. are all projects that are very dubious. Sure, they'll probably be popular and will garner attention, but they have more flash than substance. You'd be surprised how little money (comparatively) it would take to make minor improvements that would greatly benefit the citizens. Houston on the otherhand, is just generally cheap when it comes to such things.

You certainly can do worst. You can always come down to Houston if you get tired of $30K millionaire scene that seems prevalent in Dallas. You will get a more laidback scene, with slightly better natural beauty (IMO) but an overall uglier city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas