Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:47 PM

96 posts, read 131,967 times

Advertisements

seriously, now I am much more interested in Dallas over Austin, thanks to arstsyguy. I think this was a good description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:13 PM

228 posts, read 537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Austin is terribly vapid and backwater. Sure they have improved their skyline but it's still a dull and dreary Texas hick city. I lived there for a year and it was mind-numbing.

Dallas is very modern and progressive. Its skyline is the best in Texas. Shopping, restaurants, nightlife, art, and sports are huge in Dallas. Multiculturalism is huge, too. You will see people of all colors and creeds interacting and intermingling. It's a great city with a great library system and great arts districts. The University of Texas at Dallas is an excellent university if you get into the right programs. UTD offers events and lectures that are open to the public. The surrounding cities are excellent, too. Addison, Richardson, and Frisco being the best of the north side. Cedar Hill being the best of the south side.

Let me know if you need further information.
Either this person is being sarcastic or is incredibly delusional.

Even though there's no question Dallas is more diverse, has more culture, and more amenities than Austin, Austin is still far from being a "dreary Texas hick city" relative to Dallas. The two cities are simply different. Depending on the OP's perspective both could easily be considered "hick cities."

Unless you are referring to the chess team, UTD is not "excellent" at anything and their public events and lectures absolutely pale in comparison to what's offered at superior universities like UT Austin.

It's perhaps worth noting that master-planned sprawling exburbs like Frisco have little of the diversity and "multiculturalism" that is supposedly so prevalent in Dallas.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:16 PM

228 posts, read 537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
seriously, now I am much more interested in Dallas over Austin, thanks to arstsyguy. I think this was a good description.
I'm sure he provided you a very level-headed and fair assessment of the two cities. Either way, Dallas is great and I bet you will enjoy it.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:40 PM

5 posts, read 26,274 times
Dallas is a pretentious shallow city with barely any nature. Austin has a great laid back feel with the Hill country (nature). Austin is smaller but better thought out, and the city actually has an authentic personality. Dallas seems fake and has no personality whatsoever. Visit both yourself and I would strongly bet you would love Austin. Austin is better known for quality of life. The only reason people move to Dallas is for jobs. Google Austin vs Dallas and you will find all kinds of websites/forums like Dallas Sucks My Austin

Old 01-02-2011, 04:01 PM

155 posts, read 502,509 times
Both Dallas and Austin have pros and cons, so you really need to know what is important to you to make the right decision.I've lived in both cities within the last 5 years.

Austin gets a lot of hype for the hipster stuff...live music, technology start-ups, liberal views, etc. If this is of interest you you'll have a lot in Austin. Austin also has better geography with the hills and a younger, more active population. You'll see a lot of people running, cycling and doing anything outdoors.

Since Dallas is such a large metro area you'll have just as much of the stuff listed above as Austin, but given the size of Dallas you just have to look a little harder to find it. Dallas does have more large fortune 500 corporate headquarters and a more diverse job market when compared to Austin, Austin employment is dominated by the state, Dell, AMD, Freescale, National Instruments and a bunch of small tech companies and start ups.

Both areas have a diverse range of housing options and can be pretty comparable in cost of living - Austin may be slightly higher but I think the real estate market has softened a little over the last year or so.

Dallas has Austin beat from a shopping and dining perspective. Austin has been getting more shopping, the Domain with Neiman Marcus and several high end retailers opened a few years ago, but it is still nothing like Dallas.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallassucks View Post
Dallas is a pretentious shallow city with barely any nature. Austin has a great laid back feel with the Hill country (nature). Austin is smaller but better thought out, and the city actually has an authentic personality. Dallas seems fake and has no personality whatsoever. Visit both yourself and I would strongly bet you would love Austin. Austin is better known for quality of life. The only reason people move to Dallas is for jobs. Google Austin vs Dallas and you will find all kinds of websites/forums like Dallas Sucks My Austin
The fact that site even exists suggests that there is an inferiority complex towards Dallas from some people in Austin.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Austin is extremely limited and antiquated. It only has the longhorns, UT Austin, The State Capitol, 6000 bars, and the hill country as main points of interest: none of which I find interesting or pleasant.

Dallas, on the other hand, has hill country, high quality arts districts, a modern World Aquarium and Zoo, modern shopping, a modern skyline, and a variety of sub-cultures. UT Dallas is an easy access university that has catered to modernity and innovation; while little can be said for UT Austin: it has stagnated and been left behind by younger and fresher universities. SMU is another fine Dallas university that upholds one of the greatest art museums of our time; The Meadows Museum: it features astounding Spanish art.

It's clear as day that Dallas is not only far superior to any Texas city; but that it leaves antiquated Austin in the dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post

Even though there's no question Dallas is more diverse, has more culture, and more amenities than Austin, Austin is still far from being a "dreary Texas hick city" relative to Dallas. The two cities are simply different. Depending on the OP's perspective both could easily be considered "hick cities."

Unless you are referring to the chess team, UTD is not "excellent" at anything and their public events and lectures absolutely pale in comparison to what's offered at superior universities like UT Austin.

It's perhaps worth noting that master-planned sprawling exburbs like Frisco have little of the diversity and "multiculturalism" that is supposedly so prevalent in Dallas.

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-02-2011 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 PM

The hipsters of Austin are often pretentious posers; rarely do you see a musician or an artist who inspires you there. The liberal views in Austin are pretentious doublespeak or lip service. It's a fad to be liberal in Texas but few even know or understand what that means. Few if any people in Austin are "liberal." It's as conservative as any city in the south or south-west. People with tattoos, beards, and tight jeans can be found in any southern city: those looks are not indicative of cultural liberalism anyway. In Austin you have to look really hard to find anything interesting.

In Dallas it is extremely easy to find the interesting areas. Deep Ellum is one of the arts districts, making up about four streets of nightlife and art organizations, where you will easily find artists to hang out with. In Dallas you see a lot of people cycling and running ,even around the enormous shopping centers; but especially at white rock lake and grapevine lake.

It does cost more to live in Austin. And it is not worth the extra money considering you get much less in little Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2aus View Post
Both Dallas and Austin have pros and cons, so you really need to know what is important to you to make the right decision.I've lived in both cities within the last 5 years.

Austin gets a lot of hype for the hipster stuff...live music, technology start-ups, liberal views, etc. If this is of interest you you'll have a lot in Austin. Austin also has better geography with the hills and a younger, more active population. You'll see a lot of people running, cycling and doing anything outdoors.

Since Dallas is such a large metro area you'll have just as much of the stuff listed above as Austin, but given the size of Dallas you just have to look a little harder to find it. Dallas does have more large fortune 500 corporate headquarters and a more diverse job market when compared to Austin, Austin employment is dominated by the state, Dell, AMD, Freescale, National Instruments and a bunch of small tech companies and start ups.

Both areas have a diverse range of housing options and can be pretty comparable in cost of living - Austin may be slightly higher but I think the real estate market has softened a little over the last year or so.

Dallas has Austin beat from a shopping and dining perspective. Austin has been getting more shopping, the Domain with Neiman Marcus and several high end retailers opened a few years ago, but it is still nothing like Dallas.

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-02-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 PM

You are wrong about the nature. Dallas has beautiful hill country at Cedar Hill State Park and Cedar Ridge Preserve. It also has wonderful cycling areas at White Rock Lake and Grapevine Lake. People also like to make day trips to Possum Kingdom; located west of Fort Worth. People also like to take weekend trips to Wichita Mountains and Turner Falls in Oklahoma.

Austin is not better thought out considering it has constant traffic jams, no zoning, and thousands of bars. I was in Austin for one year; I didn't notice if it had a personality. It seemed to have a very bland, drunken, but communist feel to it; a lot of noticeable social stratification, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallassucks View Post

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-02-2011 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 PM

I am neither. Dallas and the suburbs are so superior to little itty bitty Austin, Texas. If one is trapped in the state of Texas; then I suggest Dallas first. But if you are Hispanic then try San Antonio first. If you are black then try Houston first.

But Frisco has plenty of people of color, too and a huge corporate art scene.

It looks like little Frisco, Texas already beat Austin in the sculpture department. Texas Sculpture Garden is the hugest in Texas:

"Open to the public, this significant and unique collection celebrates the work of 41 prominent Texas artists. The collection is located within the Hall Office Park, the signature development of Hall Financial Group.

Recognized as the largest private collection of contemporary Texas sculpture ever assembled and made available to the public, the Texas Sculpture Garden was created to benefit the Texas community by honoring the talent of homegrown artists and making their work accessible to everyone.

Visitors to the park enjoy both the art and its remarkable setting. Winding walking trails, lush landscaping, lakes and fountains have been specially designed to complement the art and provide a fitting backdrop for the work.

Art featured in the Texas Sculpture Garden can also be explored and enjoyed here. Designed to educate, inspire and even facilitate connections with the artists themselves, this comprehensive website takes the experience of the Texas Sculpture Garden to a whole new level."

Texas Sculpture Garden

The Frisco Mercantile art and antique mall is enormous:

Frisco Mercantile

Frisco Town Square has a lot to offer, too!

http://www.friscosquare.com/AITS

Frisco Central Park is also very impressive with its streams, weeping willow trees, and gargantuan Longhorn sculptures:

http://www.friscofun.org/parks/parks...ntralPark.aspx

The Pizza Hut Stadium allows for major sports teams and artists to perform.

Dr. Pepper Arena allows for major performing arts acts like Cirque du Soleil to perform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post

Last edited by artsyguy; 01-02-2011 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas